Church plant in West Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

countryparson

Puritan Board Freshman
Our congregation is exploring seeding a church plant in West Tennessee. We're trying to determine an exact location based on where we might connect to Reformed believers who would be interested in helping us.
I would love to hear from anyone on the board, or folks you might know, who are in this region but not near Dyersburg, Jackson, or other towns with a confessional presbyterian presence.
Thanks

I assume you know Tim Phillips in Brighton? There are several ARP churches on the outskirts of Memphis.

There are no reformed churches south of Jackson until you reach Corinth, MS, and nothing west until Fayette County.

I assume you know Tim Phillips in Brighton? There are several ARP churches on the outskirts of Memphis.
Yes, have enjoyed working some youth camps with Tim and some of the other brothers from Mississippi Valley Presbytery. There are several solid ARP between us and Memphis. Outside the Memphis area Presbyterians are pretty thin on the ground.

Absent a core group, my rule of thumb was to look for an area that has a growing population or at least a dynamic one. Looking at the EPC prebytery you are in, I'd probably look at Jonesboro, Arkansas. They have a 13k+ student university, which would create a somewhat dynamic population. Population also appears to be trending up. I don't see any competion for existing congregations. It doesn't meet your West Tennessee criteria, but it has a greater chance of success than a cold start in a rural town that is smaller than Arkansas State.

There are no reformed churches south of Jackson until you reach Corinth, MS,
Looks like there are a couple of EPC churches showing in Adamsville just west of Savannah. Since you are in the area, are there particular issues with those? Since you have a bit of a commute to your church, maybe you should suggest Henderson?

Looks like there are a couple of EPC churches showing in Adamsville just west of Savannah. Since you are in the area, are there particular issues with those? Since you have a bit of a commute to your church, maybe you should suggest Henderson?

We love our church, so the commute is not an issue.

At least one of the EPC churches in Adamsville has shut down, and a OPC plant was attempted, which did not take root for reasons unknown to me.

I have always desired a Reformed church in Henderson, but due to the EPC’s stance on women’s ordination, I couldn’t in good conscience support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back