Church Planting - Eastern Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello everyone. As I've noted before, I live in Gloucester County, Virginia. It is north of busy Hampton Roads and east of Richmond. As I became a Presbyterian I realized that options are extremely slim for conservative Calvinist and Presbyterian families in my neck of the woods. These are not exact, but I have some crude maps drawn up:

presbyterian.PNG

^ Once again, rough estimate. If you live somewhere in this area of Virginia however, there are two churches that have Reformed Confessions of Faith within a fair distance. One is an Anglican church (ACNA) that uses the 39 Articles. One is a Southern Baptist church that uses the 1689. As far as I know, the Southern Baptist church is faithful to its confession. I am unsure about the Anglican church. Matters are especially worse for you if you live on the Eastern shore. Now, I do not doubt that I, as a conservative and Calvinist Presbyterian, am in a religious minority in this part of the state, but I suspect that in this area there must some families who believe like me. I am blessed to live in Gloucester, and have about an hour drive down south to an OPC in York County, but not everyone gets that luxury.

I am also an exclusive Psalmodist, and while I in good conscience attend a hymn-singing church, I know some EP families prefer to find a church with similar views. Once again, a rough estimate, but most likely if you live somewhere in these red counties, you must travel over an hour (or more, for me it's about 3 hours) for an EP church.

eppresbyterian.PNG

What is a good way for a laymen to attempt to gauge interest for a church plant in their area? Does anyone know if other conservative Presbyterian churches, or EP congregations have been planted in eastern Virginia, but failed? Thank you for any advice.

We had visitors from Williamsburg who attended some flavor of solid, reformed church, Baptist? I'd visited the PCA church while in town for a class and understood their avoidance.

We had visitors from Williamsburg who attended some flavor of solid, reformed church, Baptist? I'd visited the PCA church while in town for a class and understood their avoidance.

What PCA church and when was this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone. As I've noted before, I live in Gloucester County, Virginia. It is north of busy Hampton Roads and east of Richmond. As I became a Presbyterian I realized that options are extremely slim for conservative Calvinist and Presbyterian families in my neck of the woods. These are not exact, but I have some crude maps drawn up:

View attachment 7414

^ Once again, rough estimate. If you live somewhere in this area of Virginia however, there are two churches that have Reformed Confessions of Faith within a fair distance. One is an Anglican church (ACNA) that uses the 39 Articles. One is a Southern Baptist church that uses the 1689. As far as I know, the Southern Baptist church is faithful to its confession. I am unsure about the Anglican church. Matters are especially worse for you if you live on the Eastern shore. Now, I do not doubt that I, as a conservative and Calvinist Presbyterian, am in a religious minority in this part of the state, but I suspect that in this area there must some families who believe like me. I am blessed to live in Gloucester, and have about an hour drive down south to an OPC in York County, but not everyone gets that luxury.

I am also an exclusive Psalmodist, and while I in good conscience attend a hymn-singing church, I know some EP families prefer to find a church with similar views. Once again, a rough estimate, but most likely if you live somewhere in these red counties, you must travel over an hour (or more, for me it's about 3 hours) for an EP church.

View attachment 7415

What is a good way for a laymen to attempt to gauge interest for a church plant in their area? Does anyone know if other conservative Presbyterian churches, or EP congregations have been planted in eastern Virginia, but failed? Thank you for any advice.

There is possibly a new ARP church plant coming in upper James City County/New Kent.

A retired PCA elder/chaplain is a part of it and they are looking at a gentlemen from WTS to be a minister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 7414

View attachment 7415

Have you ever checked out Tabb Street in Petersburg brother? They aren't EP but they have some EP folks. I am on pretty good terms with a ruling elder there. I can get y'all in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back