Church Statement of Faith - Soteriology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
Good Day,

Our family is on holiday and planning our Lord’s Day the best we can in an area with limited options. Thankfully church websites can help our family be discerning. To be clear, I do not agree with anything in the below, but am curious for input. I am mainly scratching my head on the last sentence for stating “faith” as a “sole” “condition”? Any input or experience dealing with this mindset? Dangerous enough to not attend for a random Lord’s Day while traveling? IMG_0332.jpeg
I will also add the below because it may qualify what they mean further:
IMG_0333.jpeg

Everything about that top statement of theirs is bad. Stay away. If no decent churches are available, watch mine online.

I am mainly scratching my head on the last sentence for stating “faith” as a “sole” “condition”? Any input or experience dealing with this mindset?
Focusing on this alone, I believe this is confessional. WCF Ch. 7.2 "requiring of them faith in him, that they may be saved." Faith is the sole condition of the covenant of grace even though God promises "to give unto all those that are ordained unto eternal life his Holy Spirit, to make them willing, and able to believe."

Last edited:
Everything about that top statement of theirs is bad. Stay away. If no decent churches are available, watch mine online.
Due to recent topics and this post I am having images of you being the Cookie Monster for any believer looking for a church :rofl:

If we ever pass through Texas I will try to stop in. However, we do have a back-up online plan with our local PCA churches.

Focusing on this alone, I believe this is confessional. WCF Ch. 7.2 "requiring of them faith in him, that they may be saved." Faith is the sole condition of the covenant of grace even though God promises "to give unto all those that are ordained unto eternal life his Holy Spirit, to make them willing, and able to believe."

Chuck that was my gut feeling as well. I get they have an issue with Calvin’s doctrine of election (in my reading of the Institutes that is also understandable), but I just would not agree with fully rejecting Calvin on the subject.

Sounds like the typical Bible (biblicist?) church: we aren't Calvinists or Arminians. We just believe what the Bible says. In other words, once saved, always saved.

The thing that should be causing alarm bells to be worrying off is there rejection of Lordship salvation. Within that ecclesial context, what that means is they embrace cheap grace/easy believism.

That statement sounds like it was crafted by uneducated individuals who really have no idea what they are talking about and trying to be clever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back