Classical histories and literature

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
I am having trouble finding a set list of classical histories and/or literature. It seems selective. Does anybody have a good list? Or is it selective for a reason? If so what would you recommend?

Classical, as in Greek and Roman? Try these to start.

Herodotus, Histories
Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War
Caesar, The Gallic Wars
Suetonius, The Twelve Caesars

Classical, as in Greek and Roman? Try these to start.

Herodotus, Histories
Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War
Caesar, The Gallic Wars
Suetonius, The Twelve Caesars
Thanks! I guess I am curious if they cover the entirety (or close to what we can know anyway) of antiquity?

Thanks! I guess I am curious if they cover the entirety (or close to what we can know anyway) of antiquity?

These deal with sizeable chunks. Important stuff. And these are some of the main primary sources you'll see referred to in secondary literature.

Classical history isn't my area, but I'll see if I can do some digging for good surveys.

At 538 volumes this might be rather more than you need, but inclusion in the Loeb Classical Library would be one way of finding relevant sources. To be sure, it goes well into Late Antiquity as well, some might even say early Middle Ages.

https://www.loebclassics.com/volumes

There are several good audio versions of the tales of Herodotus on Audible.com. My son likes the audio versions.

Somehow I forgot Tacitus's Annals of Imperial Rome and Histories.

By the way, don't shy away from the original works (translated, of course, unless you can read Classical Greek and Latin). I thoroughly enjoyed Herodotus and Suetonius. I'd recommend going to them before any modern, secondary source.

Ad fontes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back