Clement of Rome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abd_Yesua_alMasih

Puritan Board Junior
*If this is not the right forum then move it*

Did Clement of Rome hold to the Doctrines of Grace as far as we know? I have heard debate over this and I like his writing so it would be good if this could be sorted out.

Chapter 32 of 1st Clement says after talking about Abraham and his faith, "...And we, too, being called by His will in Christ Jesus, are not justified by ourselves, nor by our own wisdom, or understanding, or godliness, or works which we have wrought in holiness of heart; but by that faith through which, from the beginning, Almighty God has justified all men; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."

But then it has been pointed out to me a few paragraphs before in Chapter 30 he says, "Let us cleave, then, to those to whom grace has been given by God. Let us clothe ourselves with concord and humility, ever exercising self-control, standing far off from all whispering and evil-speaking, being justified by our works, and not our words." (bold type my own). These two sentences seem to contradict themselves at first. They say 1) God gives grace 2) we justify ourselves by works. Is the term 'justified' being used in a different manner from Paul? Clement also says that good works are done in faith but he does not say they save someone. Could this be a bit like James and other New Testament writers when they say we must have works fitting of repentence? ie. Clement is saying we 'prove' ourselves Christian by our works and not just our words (sorry can't think of a better word).

Originally posted by Abd_Yesua_alMasih
*If this is not the right forum then move it*

Did Clement of Rome hold to the Doctrines of Grace as far as we know? I have heard debate over this and I like his writing so it would be good if this could be sorted out.

Chapter 32 of 1st Clement says after talking about Abraham and his faith, "...And we, too, being called by His will in Christ Jesus, are not justified by ourselves, nor by our own wisdom, or understanding, or godliness, or works which we have wrought in holiness of heart; but by that faith through which, from the beginning, Almighty God has justified all men; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."

But then it has been pointed out to me a few paragraphs before in Chapter 30 he says, "Let us cleave, then, to those to whom grace has been given by God. Let us clothe ourselves with concord and humility, ever exercising self-control, standing far off from all whispering and evil-speaking, being justified by our works, and not our words." (bold type my own). These two sentences seem to contradict themselves at first. They say 1) God gives grace 2) we justify ourselves by works. Is the term 'justified' being used in a different manner from Paul? Clement also says that good works are done in faith but he does not say they save someone. Could this be a bit like James and other New Testament writers when they say we must have works fitting of repentence? ie. Clement is saying we 'prove' ourselves Christian by our works and not just our words (sorry can't think of a better word).

As someone who has studied these pericopes from Clement, here are my thoughts for whatever they may be worth. I'll cite both quotes, and offer my comments...

Clement of Rome: Let us clothe ourselves with concord and humility, ever exercising self-control, standing far off from all whispering and evil-speaking, being justified by our works, and not our words. ANF: Vol. I, The Apostolic Fathers, First Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians, Chapter 30.

In Chapter 30, Clement is simply affirming that declaring ourselves to be justified by "œour words," is not the proof of our justification, but rather our works; because here it is our works contrasted with our words, not our faith. He says, "œLet us clothe ourselves," etc., i.e. demonstrate in deed that what we believe concerning ourselves is true, rather than merely claiming it. Otherwise, what he goes on to say two chapters later is utterly meaningless. For he goes on to say...

Clement of Rome: Whosoever will candidly consider each particular, will recognize the greatness of the gifts which were given by him. For from him have sprung the priests and all the Levites who minister at the altar of God. From him also [was descended] our Lord Jesus Christ according to the flesh. From him [arose] kings, princes, and rulers of the race of Judah. Nor are his other tribes in small glory, inasmuch as God had promised, "œThy seed shall be as the stars of heaven." All these, therefore, were highly honored, and made great, not for their own sake, or for their own works, or for the righteousness which they wrought, but through the operation of His will. And we, too, being called by His will in Christ Jesus, are not justified by ourselves, nor by our own wisdom, or understanding, or godliness, or works which we have wrought in holiness of heart; but by that faith through which, from the beginning, Almighty God has justified all men; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. ANF: Vol. I, The Apostolic Fathers, First Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians, Chapter 32.

It´s clear, then, that Clement denies in no uncertain terms that our works, performed in a state of grace, serve meritoriously in any sense as the grounds on which we´re justified, and declares that faith, not our works, has always been the means by which God justifies all men.

Blessings,
DTK

I would say clement agrees to the doctrine of grace and furthermore is intimating as James does, that faith without works is a "dead faith". That is a faith of empty words anyone can claim, but a faith under the Lordship of Christ will be one that bears fruit. I suspect that Clement being unaware that people would come behind him 1,900 years later and nit pick his letter, didnt take pains to qualify himself to the degree a scholar might do today. Just my thoughts....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back