"... close your eyes, and repeat this prayer after me..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
\"... close your eyes, and repeat this prayer after me...\"

"Praying the sinner's prayer". Is there any Biblical warrant for having somebody do this? Its common practice in many evangelical churches today and has been for a good number of years. I was even a little surprised last Sunday morning to hear James Kennedy have a similar prayer at the end of his message, followed by somebody saying "If you prayed that prayer..."

If I were to go to a church now that had altar calls and sent those who responded to a back room to "pray the sinner's prayer", I cringe at the thought that I might be chosen to go with that seeking person to lead them in saying the prayer...been there, done that, but at another place and time.

Is my apprehension warranted? There isn't any passage in scripture that directly speaks about having a sinner say such a prayer, but can this practice be properly deduced from the scriptures (similar to how the trinity and other doctrines can)?

[Edited on 3-10-2006 by blhowes]

I'll chime in here, Bob.

I think "this practice can be properly deduced from the scriptures", but I also think its W I D E L Y abused.

I think there's a certain temptation for pastors (and others) to want to "see results" quickly from their preaching, and it leads us to not wait upon the Holy Spirit to do His work, but to harvest the crop well before its ripe.

The greatest abuse of this, in my opinion, is when the "Sinner's prayer" or alter call is offered at the end of every service, whether or not Christ's atoning death or finished work was even talked about during the sermon. I think a lot of people have it in their minds that this prayer is in a way a sort of "magical incantation" that simply MUST be said to bring someone to Christ, and that salvation is practically impossible without it.

There is also the abuse of assuring everyone who says it that they now "have eternal life", and that they shouldn't even bother examining themselves in the future because now their salvation is locked down and permanent, no matter what their life and inclinations may prove otherwise.

I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that tell me their family member or friend is a Christian because they "prayed the sinner's prayer", in spite of the fact that their "conversion" only lasted a short time and ever since they've been wallowing in the mud.

If I can go so far, I'd say (with some qualification) that this "prayer" has almost turned into a plaque among the church. Not only are numerous false conversions encouraged, but it has almost replaced the Gospel and become the Gospel itself. The preacher rarely feels a need to talk about the Gospel, because once someone has said the prayer, that's about all they ever need to hear of Christ, and now we can move on to more practical things, such as relationships, excellence, discipline, etc. I know this is true, because I continually witness the same thing happening week after week as I listen to messages from different churches. I can't tell you the last time I've heard a sermon on Christ, or the Gospel. Its always about something else, but no worries, we've got our "fail-safe" at the end, our Sinner's Prayer, and that's all we need to make sure Christ is offered freely to all.

This sinner's prayer has become about as shallow as the false "gospel" that undergirds it. It has potential in that at least the person is recognizing the fact that they are a sinner and in need of Christ. But without a talk about sin, and about Christ preceeding it, it becomes nothing but a superstitious formula, and is probably, not to put it too strongly, the ruin of many souls in that the "convert" is told to never bother "seeking" again.

My :2cents: and open to correction

Chris,
Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate your thoughts in this regard.

Originally posted by alwaysreforming
I'll chime in here, Bob.

I think "this practice can be properly deduced from the scriptures", but I also think its W I D E L Y abused.
I'd particularly be interested in hearing more of your thoughts (or those of others) about how it can, when not abused, be deduced from the scriptures, especially in the context of a worship service.

If I were the pastor/elder of a church (what a scary thought), and it was my responsibity to oversee what goes on during the worship service, how would I use the RPW to justify leading, or having somebody else lead, somebody in saying a sinner's prayer. The scriptures talk of believing in Christ, having faith in Christ, repentance, and the like, with regard to salvation, but how would I take that next step of instituting the sinner's prayer during the worship service?

(don't get me wrong, though. I'm not totally against saying the sinner's prayer. I said a sinner's prayer of sorts in private when I got saved, using the 'Four Spiritual Laws' as a guide for my prayer. I don't want to limit God.)

I would say that it can be deduced from Scripture because its a sinner acknowledging his guilt before God, repenting, and asking for Jesus' lordship and salvation.

Maybe the specific "formula" can't be deduced, but I think the basic subject matter inside the formula can. At least, that's my take.

:up: Chris, my brother...

Let's also recall that after Paul explains the Gospel in the first 4 chapters....he then affirms what it means to be saved and models to the Christian what our job is:

2 Corinthians 5:11-21

The Ministry of Reconciliation

Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade others. But what we are is known to God, and I hope it is known also to your conscience. We are not commending ourselves to you again but giving you cause to boast about us, so that you may be able to answer those who boast about outward appearance and not about what is in the heart. For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.

From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

I can't see why we've got to "improve" on what is in the Text.....

:book2: :)

Robin

Actually....I can see why we like to "improve" the Text.

There's SOOOooo much more to read and understand when taking the trouble to read big hunks of Text in CONTEXT. (Oy! How exhausting.)

It's way quicker and "easier" to put everything in a 20 page tract with cute illustrations.

I'm sure Jesus doesn't mind being in "sales brochures."

Ya think? :um:

r.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back