Cockatrice (KJV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hardy

Puritan Board Freshman
I have a question concerning why the KJV uses the word “cockatrice” in Isa. 11:8. 14:29; 59:5; Jer. 8:17.

Wikipedia: A cockatrice is a mythical beast, essentially a two-legged dragon or serpent-like creature with a cock's head.

Other Bible translations use the word “adder” or “viper”.

I would appreciate any information that you might be able to give me.

Since you are asking about the KJV, a good dictionary for it is the 1828 Webster Dictionary. The definition is:

COCKATRICE, noun A serpent imagined to proceed from a cocks egg.​

Another option is to use a lexicon, a Hebrew to English or Greek to English dictionary, like the one at the Blue Letter Bible. For example, search on cockatrice, click on the first verse containing the word which is Isaiah 11:8, then click on the "C" icon which is for Concordance And Hebrew/Greek Lexicon. Find the word cockatrice and click on the Strong's number H6848. The definition of the Hebrew root word is:

1. poisonous serpent
  1. a viper snake or adder
Seems like these resources are consistent with the other Bible translations you checked.

This translation was carried over from the older versions, beginning with Wycliffe from what I can see. It was likely used because it conveyed the idea of a venemous serpent. There is no need to read the mythological characteristics into the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back