College Football 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Anybody want to talk about college football this year?
050103ball_prv.gif

I will just say it is going to be hard to beat the bowl games of last year.
That Penn State game was incredible then the next night Texas did well out in California. I was loving college ball so much more than Pro ball last year.

Which college you rooting for?

If you don't have one I will suggest some Red Raider boys out in the middle of the TX panhandle you can root for. Guaranteed unpredictable offensive game plan.

[align=center]Go Pokes ! [/align]

[align=center]Go Big Twelve ![/align]

[align=center]
25.gif
[/align]

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by rjlynam]

[Edited on 9-3-2006 by rjlynam]

Pokes 52
MSU 10

Now, if we could just beat another Big 12 team

25.gif

[Edited on 9-3-2006 by rjlynam]

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Blue 32... Set... Hut... Hike

My father is at the Georgia Tech v. Notre Dame game.

Awesome! I hope to go to a Notre Dame game some day.

Go Irish!:banana:

I was at PSU's opening game today and loved it even though it rained all day and it was a little cold. I took my dad (his first time going to Beaver Stadium) and watched the Nittany Lions defeat the Akron zips handidly but not as solidly as they should have. They have some things to work on before the face Notre Dame next week. However our brand new QB looked solid!

Here are some pics

Finally, one of the players graduated from the school we work for and we know him! So it was so cool to see him on the sidelines (he's #97)

I don't follow college football much (except for rooting for USC, who seem to be a Quarterback U. as opposed to Tailback U., though their RBs are nor bad either). But I love rooting against Notre Dame and always have :p

BUT...

Like PSU and OSU (Ohio not Oklahoma) both Michigan and ND should have won by larger scores and displayed more dominance in my opinion.

Originally posted by houseparent
BUT...

Like PSU and OSU (Ohio not Oklahoma) both Michigan and ND should have won by larger scores and displayed more dominance in my opinion.
All that matters is that one wins, not the point spread. Besides, Ohio State only beat Northern Illini, which is not exactly a Big Ten stalwart... 35-12... Michigan and Notre Dame have two of the most competitive schedules in the country.

Texas is playing Ohio State next week. I hope OSU gets whipped. I like to see a Big Ten team knocked down a notch every now and then.

:2cents:

Nice pics Adam. That's cool that you know that guy.

Notre Dame will win the national championship this year. Mark my words (but only if I end up being right). lol

Hey, I predicted a strong year from the Tigers. They are doing better than even I thought they would.

BUT...

All that matters is that one wins, not the point spread. Besides, Ohio State only beat Northern Illini, which is not exactly a Big Ten stalwart... 35-12... Michigan and Notre Dame have two of the most competitive schedules in the country.

Texas is playing Ohio State next week. I hope OSU gets whipped. I like to see a Big Ten team knocked down a notch every now and then.

:2cents:

Sadly, the point spread DOES matter. More than once the poinst spread has cost PSU a National Championship. Ohio State should have killed the team they played, just as Penn State should have as well. Notre Dame lucked out in my opinion and didn't look nearly as impressive as I expected them to, but GT is a very good team, though NOT ranked.

I would have to say Notre Dame's performance was a disappointment, but I think Tech is underrated all the same. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yellow Jackets slide way up this season in the ranks, though they're not quite national championship material.

Penn State should do well this year.

The three Big Ten teams have their fiercely competitive knock-off games in the early seasons.

Sat 09/09/06 Penn State @ Notre Dame South Bend, Ind. NBC Sports
Sat 09/09/06 Ohio State @ Texas Austin, Texas ABC Sports
Sat 09/16/06 Michigan @ Notre Dame South Bend, Ind. NBC Sports

It should be interesting to see which Big Ten team rises up.

Southern Cal is playing Nebraska next weekend too.

[Edited on 9-3-2006 by Puritanhead]

USC vs. Nebraska should be a good game. I think USC will be headed back to BCS this year, again, but might be hard to make it to the Championship Game with their pre-season ranking. I don't think Ohio State is as good as #1, but I do hope/think they will beat Texas next week. Hard to tell how good most of the ranked teams are this week (save for Tennessee and Cal), since they all, except USC, played mediocre teams at best. As an Arkansas native, I'm happy to see our defense much improved this year, but, until we get Mustain in there and some experience under his belt, we'll be a slightly above average team at best. Might win more than 50% in the SEC this year, but I have high hopes for next year.

Point Spread and the Need for Playoffs

Sadly, the point spread DOES matter. More than once the poinst spread has cost PSU a National Championship.
The problem with making point spread too much of a barometer for assessing team ranking / performance is that PAC-10 powerhouses like Southern Cal and Big 12 powerhouses like Texas and Nebraska can run up the score all day against their competitors. The Big 12, Pac-10, and ACC are not always so competitive. Perhaps it should be a factor for the National Championship, but point spread shouldn't be weighed so heavily in the regular season. In the past, when some ostensible powerhouse team played in an uncompetive wimp conference while running up the score all season long, their weaknesses were exposed when they played outside the conference in a bowl game at end-of-season against a Big Ten team, or some titan.

All that could be avoided if collegiate football simply had a playoff system, and integrated the Bowl Games into them. The NCAA politics and money are stacked against this needed reform sadly.

Originally posted by BaptistCanuk
Ryan, are you from Indiana? My fiancee lives about a half hour from South Bend.
I'm from Virginia; though I lived in Notre Dame as a kid when my dad went there in the 1980s.

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
USC vs. Nebraska should be a good game.
I hope SC does good this year, and believe they will. I always like to see the pride of the Cornhuskers cut down a notch too. I predict SC takes it home by a touchdown and a field goal this coming weekend.

Though, I admit I rooted for Texas against Southern Cal in the Bowl game.

Sadly, the point spread DOES matter. More than once the poinst spread has cost PSU a National Championship.
The problem with making point spread too much of a barometer for assessing team ranking / performance is that PAC-10 powerhouses like Southern Cal and Big 12 powerhouses like Texas and Nebraska can run up the score all day against their competitors. The Big 12, Pac-10, and ACC are not always so competitive. Perhaps it should be a factor for the National Championship, but point spread shouldn't be weighed so heavily in the regular season. In the past, when some ostensible powerhouse team played in an uncompetive wimp conference while running up the score all season long, their weaknesses were exposed when they played outside the conference in a bowl game at end-of-season against a Big Ten team, or some titan.

All that could be avoided if collegiate football simply had a playoff system, and integrated the Bowl Games into them. The NCAA politics and money are stacked against this needed reform sadly.

Oh I DREAM of a playoff one day! PSU was ranked #3 last year and I would have loved to see them ghet a shot at number 1

Louisville leads 28-0 early in the second quarter! Bush has three touchdowns already.

Yeesh.

Is Kentucky that bad?

Originally posted by BaptistCanuk
I'm wondering if I would be called "rediculous" for cheering for Notre Dame.

What brings that up?

Did someone say something like that? I admit that cheering for a Papist school is a bit tough for me, but I wouldn't call you names for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back