College Football Championship: A friendly avatar wager...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Puritan Board Senior
Ok, so the big game is tomorrow and I know we have a lot of Texas folk on the board....so I got to thinking: how 'bout a little avatar wager? ;)

Now I'm not a big Bama fan, but I am an unrepentant SEC homer (go DAWGS!) and I'd love to see the Tide brand some cattle tomorrow night.

If you'd like to participate, here's my suggestion. If Texas wins, anyone who goes in for Bama must show a Longhorn avatar--or a Big 12 avatar--for 1 week. Likewise, if Bama wins, anyone who goes in for Texas must show a Tide avatar--or an SEC avatar--for one week. No funny business with half-hearted avatars, use the real deal.

Who wants in? :)

count me in because I know my man Colt won't let me down. (see current avatar) Go 'Horns!

with the exception of Michael, I guess everybody on here already knows what's up!

I think it should be an even sum. So if 4 are for Texas and the Horns win, then Michael has to have a Texas avatar for 4 weeks. (Unless someone else helps him out)

Here comes the mob! :rolleyes: Seems pretty cheap if I've got the most guts around here. It should be the other way around. But hey, bring it on... :applause:

I think Texas is the underdog and will have an up hill battle. That being said, just like a marriage you are suppose to be there for the good and the bad.

Go Horns.

Texas was not supposed to have any chance against USC a few years back and I think we all know how that one turned out.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but put me down for TEXAS.

This goes against everything I have been thinking about the game, but I think Alabama goes down tonight. Like the stock market, everyone loves a hot performer, and after Alabama's dismantling of Florida, everyone gave TX no shot.

Everyone is talking about Alabama's defense - which they should. But Texas is no slouch at defense either. 'Bama is #2 is total defense and TX is #3. But the reason I think TX wins comes down to one thing - Turnovers. TX is #2 in the nation in "turnovers gained". (Alabama is #28).

Look for TX to force at least 2 turnovers; TX has the better QB and he will be smarter with the ball.

TX wins a close one.

This goes against everything I have been thinking about the game, but I think Alabama goes down tonight. Like the stock market, everyone loves a hot performer, and after Alabama's dismantling of Florida, everyone gave TX no shot.

Everyone is talking about Alabama's defense - which they should. But Texas is no slouch at defense either. 'Bama is #2 is total defense and TX is #3. But the reason I think TX wins comes down to one thing - Turnovers. TX is #2 in the nation in "turnovers gained". (Alabama is #28).

Look for TX to force at least 2 turnovers; McCoy has been to the big stage and will take care of the ball.

TX wins a close one.

Is Hell freezing over? Did a sooner just put a wager down for the Horns? Wow! :lol:

Look for TX to force at least 2 turnovers; McCoy has been to the big stage and will take care of the ball.

TX wins a close one.

Is Hell freezing over? Did a sooner just put a wager down for the Horns? Wow! :lol:

I know. I know. I am torn. Every fiber of my being says that I can't root for Texas. But as the game actually gets closer, my hatred of the SEC is overwhelming my hatred of the Horns. I just might, maybe, GASP! root for Texas tonight - after all Mack Brown was a Sooner once!

HAHA that is funny. I have read several posts this morning with serious spelling errors. I commented to myself that people should do a better job of proof reading.

Oh how pride cometh before the fall.

I don't have a hatred for the SEC. I just have a passion for the Horns.

I am a Horns fan, but I am also very Provencal. I would gladly root for Oklahoma, OSU, the Aggies, even Texas Tech(while holding my nose) over more distant schools. I have even rooted for the Razorbacks and LSU on occasion. Living ,as I do, in Texarkana, I have four states I can call "home". Hey, if 'Bama were playing some
"yankee" school, I'd even root for the "Tide"!

If you are so confident, but your avatar where your mouth is.
How does one 'but [their] avatar'? I don't have a dog in the fight. I don't like either of the teams. I'm a hog fan. I'm just sayin' that Texas is gonna lose. I'm still curious as to why you hate the SEC? Is it because they simply DOMINATE?
Hatred of the SEC is related to the constant whining about how they dominate.

Josh, what are your reasons that you are so sure Texas is going to lose? Here is my assessment: Both teams have looked beatable this year. They have both played close games where they had to pull out victory in the final seconds (Texas vs Neb; 'Bama vs Auburn) so I don't think anyone has a case for either of these teams being dominant over the other. Both teams have great defenses and stud players on offense (McCoy and Ingram) but I believe Texas has more weapons on offense. Also McCoy has a lot more experience than McElroy and I mean alot as this is McCoys 4th year as a starter and McElroys 1st. I think this will be a great game, but in the end Texas will pull it out. Okay, your turn Josh. Tell us why you think Alabama will win.

I have no use for either team as a Badgers fan but my humble opinion, Bama smokes the horns. Just an observation

Hey Michael. I am with you. I am a Orange T fan and not a fan of Bama but I have to go with the SEC.

Go B........Go.....uh.....Win.....uh Go SEC team in the championship game.....whew...that was hard.

But I don't expect my John Brown avatar to be going anywhere soon.

I didn't even know who was playing. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going back to filling my mind with non-trivial things now. ;)

I'm not a Bama fan, so I won't make the wager. But the thoughts of Texas playing a certain other SEC team in a big bowl game remind me of this event from 1984...

[video=youtube;3sE9Ddr7VJU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sE9Ddr7VJU[/video]

I am a big ten fan so I am not cheering for either, but here are possibly 500 reasons you should cheer for Texas:

[video=youtube;YDfbGBWWpJA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDfbGBWWpJA[/video]

After watching that Bama video, I might have to pull for Texas now. I am pleasantly surprised that Alabama fans have made amazing strides in reading and mathematics, however.

Help me with this comment by the Bama fan: "What do a Texas longhorn and a __________ have in common? They both look pretty good until the Crimson Tide roll into town." I couldn't understand what he was saying.

What's up Judson!!! Don't worry, your avatar ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Good to have you on board! :)

Tim! I'm nowhere close to being a Bama fan. As far as I'm concerned, the best thing about Alabama is that it keeps Georgia from rubbing up against Mississippi. :lol: But when it comes to these types of games, you gotta pull for the local boys, and we got a lot of them on Bama. It's not even a conference thing, really. I was rooting for Tech to take out Iowa the other night. Tonight is going to be quite different though, my friend! ;)

Tim! I'm nowhere close to being a Bama fan. As far as I'm concerned, the best thing about Alabama is that it keeps Georgia from rubbing up against Mississippi. :lol:

As someone who used to live in Mississippi, I'm afraid I know what you mean. :lol:

That reminds me of a funny story. When I pastored a church in Mississippi, a storm came in one night (a Saturday night no less) and blew the steeple off the top of the church (it was waiting for me near the front door the next morning). I was hoping the church would skip replacing it (shades of St. Peter's in Geneva in Calvin's day), but they were insistent on replacing it. So I called around to several places to get quotes, and managed to get ahold of a company in eastern Alabama. I was trying to find out how far away they were (since that sometimes affects the cost in mounting it), and I asked the lady at the other end, "Where exactly are you from?" She replied, "Alabama, where are you from?" I said, "Mississippi," to which she replied, "Well, you can't say nothing bad about me." :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back