College Football Championship: A friendly avatar wager...

Status
Not open for further replies.
After what happened to the three top QBs (Bradford, McCoy, and Tebow) going into this season (all of whom could have declared for the NFL last year) going down to fairly serious injuries, I suspect this will hurt college football in the sense that we will see more and more kids leaving early for the pros.

After what happened to the three top QBs (Bradford, McCoy, and Tebow) going into this season (all of whom could have declared for the NFL last year) going down to fairly serious injuries, I suspect this will hurt college football in the sense that we will see more and more kids leaving early for the pros.
Definitely. I was shocked when Matt Leinart came back for his senior year a while back. Of course I wish Stafford and Moreno would have returned cause things would've been mighty different this year but that's the way things go these days. The thinking is, if you're gonna get hurt you may as well get paid for it.

If I was in their shoes, I would have bolted for the NFL. If I have an opportunity to sign a piece of paper and set my family up financially for the rest of our lives, I am doing it without blinking an eye.

I think Tebow, if he gets to the NFL, will hit a brick wall in the NFL. I don't have any concrete evidence to support that, it's just a gut guess.

I agree with you. I really like Tebow and think he is a class act too, but he won't be able to be a QB in the NFL. His arm isn't strong enough, he's innacurate, and he has a weird, slow throwing motion. I think he can play in the NFL because he is a tremendous athlete and an even bigger competitor, but it won't be at QB.

Definitely. I was shocked when Matt Leinart came back for his senior year a while back. Of course I wish Stafford and Moreno would have returned cause things would've been mighty different this year but that's the way things go these days. The thinking is, if you're gonna get hurt you may as well get paid for it.

I will admit I am a Stafford fan. I try to root for most Texas boys. Stafford's high school was Highland Park in Dallas. Stafford's coach there, Randy Allen, was my coach in HS at Abilene Cooper. Quick fact: I watched Stafford battle it out with Jevan Snead, current Ole Miss QB, in the Texas class 4A semifinals back in 2005. Highland Park won the game, so Snead bolted from the field, but I did get to meet Stafford. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me so I never got a pic with him. (If anyone wants to know about all the other NFL players that I have either met or played against, let me know)

If I was in their shoes, I would have bolted for the NFL. If I have an opportunity to sign a piece of paper and set my family up financially for the rest of our lives, I am doing it without blinking an eye.

I agree completely. Most people want to argue that these kids should stay in school and get the degree, but I argue that you can go back to school anytime and finish. Having an opportunity to pretty much make instant millions is once in a lifetime opportunity.

(If anyone wants to know about all the other NFL players that I have either met or played against, let me know)
Do share...

I've found myself around quite a few too. Not the star-struck type, but it's pretty cool to have some sort of personal connection when you watch a game.

(If anyone wants to know about all the other NFL players that I have either met or played against, let me know)
Do share...

I've found myself around quite a few too. Not the star-struck type, but it's pretty cool to have some sort of personal connection when you watch a game.

Well I've met Nate Newton and Randy White (White about 2 years ago, so long after his playing days, but the guy is still JACKED), of course Colt McCoy and Stafford and in high school I played against Roy Williams from Cowboys and Drew Bress. Drew Brees was the quarterback that beat us in the Texas 5A State Championship, so as bitter as the loss was, at least I feel better knowing one of the best QB's in the NFL beat us. He is younger than me, so I had already graduated, but I watched my brother-in-law play against Cedric Benson from Benglas in HS. I also played with Dominic Rhodes formerly of the Colts in high school. I also have a long story about meeting Deion Sanders, but it didn't go so well. He refused to sign anything for me even though I was the only one standing there with him. To this day, I don't know why he wouldn't sign but at least I met him. I met numerous Dallas Cowboys, most famous probably Jason Witten, when I went to their team hotel on a Saturday evening 2 years ago. Oh, almost forgot Taylor Potts, QB from Texas Tech went to the other HS here in Abilene. I've seen him play numerous times and seen him around town, but not in awhile. I think that's all, but if I remember any others, I will edit and add them too.

P.S. I met Tim Duncan in San Antonio when I took my wife to see the musical Wicked. Meeting him ranks up there as one of the coolest meetings, because his was completely unexpected. I literally passed him in the crowded theater and was like, "whoa youre really Tim Duncan" (guys who are 6'11" kinda stand out). He wouldn't sign anything because he was with his wife/girlfriend on a date, but he was really nice.

I will admit I am a Stafford fan. I try to root for most Texas boys. Stafford's high school was Highland Park in Dallas. Stafford's coach there, Randy Allen, was my coach in HS at Abilene Cooper. Quick fact: I watched Stafford battle it out with Jevan Snead, current Ole Miss QB, in the Texas class 4A semifinals back in 2005. Highland Park won the game, so Snead bolted from the field, but I did get to meet Stafford.

From what I have heard and seen of Snead, he's really been overrated. Before the season, he's one of then ames I heard most frequently. Watching him play the few times I have, he's not been very impressive. I feel bad he got hyped so much.

From what I have heard and seen of Snead, he's really been overrated. Before the season, he's one of then ames I heard most frequently. Watching him play the few times I have, he's not been very impressive. I feel bad he got hyped so much.
Well, for what it's worth, he just announced he's going pro.

Hey Andrew, ever seen this before?:

I was born in Abilene, but we moved before I was 1 to Monhans, then before I was 2 to a place where our team used to ream Abilene, but that was way back in the early '60's. Don't know how they've fared since. Do you know where that was?

What position did you play in HS Andrew?

I played offensive line. I was left guard. In HS i was 6'1 and weighed around 300 pounds. My left tackle was 6'2" about 270. He played a few years at Eastern NM. Right guard was 6'6" 265. He went on to play at Baylor. Our right tackle was 6'5" 300 and he played at some school in South Dakota for a while. Myself, i was too short (and most likely too untalented) to play at a big name school. I had a few schools request my transcripts, but they were all smaller schools who didn't offer scholarships so i decided to retire. :lol:

Hey Andrew, ever seen this before?:

I was born in Abilene, but we moved before I was 1 to Monhans, then before I was 2 to a place where our team used to ream Abilene, but that was way back in the early '60's. Don't know how they've fared since. Do you know where that was?

That's an Odessa Broncho! And that will prove I know what I am talking about because its not a bronco, but a broncho. I can't speak for the 60's as I was in my negatives then, but in the late 90's, I know Cooper had their number. In fact, my senior season in '97 the final game of the regular season came down to us and Odessa High in Odessa at Ratliff Stadium for the district championship. Let's just say that I have some good photos of me holding up that district championship trophy!

Missed this one, Andrew, actually a lot closer to you than Odessa. Here's a more explicit logo. But after viewing their record this year (1-9), I can see why they're not so well known out there.

th_67843_1680X1050_Mustang_Wall_122_387lo.jpg

Missed this one, Andrew, actually a lot closer to you than Odessa. Here's a more explicit logo. But after viewing their record this year (1-9), I can see why they're not so well known out there.

oh, sorry I am embarrassed that I didn't recognize the Sweetwater Mustang.

No need, Andrew.... they're evidently not so newsworthy these days. But I still miss West Texas.

David Klinger is my Genesis professor

Student Profile: David Klingler - Dallas Theological Seminary (DTS)

I had a few in my Hermeneutics class. Nothing fancy.

How bout that! Too bad he's not reformed...

Danny Weurffel, Heisman Trophy winner from Florida, is getting his MDiv from RTS. Here is his ministry - Desire Street Ministries

Frank Reich, Jim Kelly's backup with the Bills several years back, also graduated from RTS (Charlotte) with an M.Div. He was also ordained as an ARP pastor.

No need, Andrew.... they're evidently not so newsworthy these days. But I still miss West Texas.

Brad, I actually was at work when you posted that last pic. I could see the first one, but not this second one for some reason (work computers block weird things). I just want you to know that I knew it was Sweetwater without seeing the name!
And I think you should just move back to West Texas. (insert Texas smiley here)

How bout that! Too bad he's not reformed...

Danny Weurffel, Heisman Trophy winner from Florida, is getting his MDiv from RTS. Here is his ministry - Desire Street Ministries

Frank Reich, Jim Kelly's backup with the Bills several years back, also graduated from RTS (Charlotte) with an M.Div. He was also ordained as an ARP pastor.
He is also the former President of RTS Charlotte, who left to go into the pastorate. When he completed the most improbable comeback in NFL history over the Oilers, he gave a poignant testimony to Christ.

Danny Weurffel, Heisman Trophy winner from Florida, is getting his MDiv from RTS. Here is his ministry - http://www.desirestreet.org/templates/System/default.asp?id=43731\"]Desire Street Ministries[/URL]

He is also the former President of RTS Charlotte, who left to go into the pastorate. When he completed the most improbable comeback in NFL history over the Oilers, he gave a poignant testimony to Christ.

Fascinating. I was completely unaware of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back