College Football starts TONIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Adam and Ben - football is an emotionally charged sport, and post-game taunting naturally draws a response like Blount's. However, I also agree that he should be kicked off the team. Punching another player in the face after the game is just low on so many levels....

SUCKER PUNCHING HIM

then he had to be restrained from going after the fans.

Do you know why he was taunted? Because before the game he shot off HIS mouth to reporters saying "We owe this team an *** whooping"

If you're gonna say something like that to the papers, and then perform horribly in the game, expected to be seriously taunted.

College football is just not the same since the mysterious disappearance of the Big 10.

The demise of the Big 10 is greatly over-exaggerated. It was only two years ago Michigan beat Tim Tebow-led Florida in the Capital One Bowl.

It also is not talked about enough but two things lead to the Big 10 (read here tOSU) doing poorly in the BCS.

1) SEC and Pac-10 teams play in some cases literal home games in all their bowl games.

2) The 60-day lay off for Big 10 teams between their last game and the January Bowl games.

The demise of the Big 10 is greatly over-exaggerated. It was only two years ago Michigan beat Tim Tebow-led Florida in the Capital One Bowl.

It also is not talked about enough but two things lead to the Big 10 (read here tOSU) doing poorly in the BCS.

1) SEC and Pac-10 teams play in some cases literal home games in all their bowl games.

2) The 60-day lay off for Big 10 teams between their last game and the January Bowl games.

ABSOLUTELY!

I'd bet a pay check PSU beats USC if their bowl game last year was played in State College or a near by stadium in JANUARY

And all 5 people who show up to see a outdoor college football bowl in middle of winter would get to enjoy it... ;)

Last edited:

Both these are true. I cannot see how the first can be helped, as the bowl games depend on crowds actually showing up to see a game. The locals may show up for a game in the Northeast or Midwest in late December or early January, but no one will be traveling to that game from a warmer climate.

The second reason is partly the Big-10's own doing. If they had one more team and a conference championship, this lay-off would be equal for all parties (of course, it doesn't help that they keep pushing the National Championship game later in January). For some reason, the Big 10 is resistant to all this, for a variety of reasons (long how long it took for them to implement a conference tournament at the end of the season in the Big 10). The Big 10 is the stick-in-the-mud when it comes to a college playoff, because the current structure benefits them (and the Pac-10) since you only have a few power schools who can run the table and emerge out of the conference with only one loss, thereby virtually guaranteeing two BCS schools each year, and often one in the title game, with barely trying. There's currently no "gauntlet" that Big 10 (and Pac-10) teams have to run for the most part; get by one or two schools, and you're BCS bound.

There are other factors as well:

1)The Big 10 has been slow to adapt to the spread offense. When you're playing a 70s-style offense, that might fly when everyone else is doing the same thing, but when you come against someone who's actually looked at a playbook since the turn of the century, you might be in trouble.

2) Recruiting makes a difference -- the SEC is closer to the recruiting center of Florida, and naturally gets more athletes out of that state (weather is a factor here as well; if someone told you that you could be playing football in Florida or Michigan in the cold months of the year, where would you rather go?).

3) Don't overlook coaches. The big name coaches in the Big 10 are a guy who came out of 1-AA, a guy who has been coaching forever (a legend, but one who is nearing retirement), and a guy that left a successful program on bad terms and has been followed by scandal after scandal since. But you actually have guys (big name guys) going to the SEC and preferring that conference to the Big 10. Nick Saban left a Big 10 program to go to LSU. Les Miles turned down Michigan to stay at LSU. Urban Meyer could have gone to the most storied football program in the country (I know, Notre Dame isn't Big 10, but the dynamic is the same) and went to Florida instead. Yes, I know Rodriguez was offered the job at Alabama, but wound up going to Michigan the same year, but in retrospect that wasn't exactly a loss for the Tide, was it? ;)

Well to be fair to Michigan State they are not exactly LSU in terms of history, etc. It is somewhat analogous to a coach going from an Oregon State or a Maryland to LSU.

if you can't sit in the winter to watch a football game, especially YOUR team, then you are not a real fan. Football is a fall/winter sport. I HATE winter but I'd sit in it to watch the Lions any day.

The second reason is partly the Big-10's own doing. If they had one more team and a conference championship, this lay-off would be equal for all parties

It's more than that. The conf championships are generally played 2 weeks after the Big10 has ceased playing. One of the reasons for that is the Big10 schools have a tradition (yes, it's always about tradition up north) that the football season was wrapped up before Thanksgiving, so that players could be home with families.

I see Illinois is shaking things up this year, likely because Zook realizes the early finish hurts overall. They have two games scheduled after all the other Big10 schools are finished.

if you can't sit in the winter to watch a football game, especially YOUR team, then you are not a real fan. Football is a fall/winter sport. I HATE winter but I'd sit in it to watch the Lions any day.

I sat through a brutal 1-AA semi-final game (yes, they have playoffs in Division I football, despite what folks keep saying, and the world doesn't come to an end!), in south Georgia, where it was so cold the boys from Montana couldn't hack it. I sat through the infamous "Hugo Bowl" where so much rain was dumped on the stadium (because of the hurricane hitting nearby Charleston) that I had wring water out of my underwear and socks when I got back home (I'm not exaggerating). Both of those games were pretty much packed out, btw, so I'd say that folks in the south don't mind a little bad weather when it's a home game.

But that's not the issue. The bowls have to decide whether folks will travel to attend the games. It's no coincidence that virtually all of the bowl games are either indoor or hosted in a warm climate. Folks will travel to that. They're note going to go go to a blizzard zone if they don't have to. In the ACC it's pretty much considered punishment when a team has to settle for the Humanitarian Bowl.

The Big 10 has been awful in bowls the past few years, partly because of the reasons Ben listed, but also because they've been over-matched: Cinderella Illinois squeaking through to Pasadena to play USC, Michigan State sliding into the #3 spot to play Georgia in the Cap 1 bowl when Iowa was clearly the better team.

Also, the overall SEC vs. Big 10 record is only 14-13 over the past 6 years - not exactly dominance. Ohio State brings the Big 10 average down the same way LSU and Florida bring the SEC average up. Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan all have winning records against the SEC since 1995...

It's more than that. The conf championships are generally played 2 weeks after the Big10 has ceased playing. One of the reasons for that is the Big10 schools have a tradition (yes, it's always about tradition up north) that the football season was wrapped up before Thanksgiving, so that players could be home with families.

This is actually not a bad point. There are also lots of other traditions in the Big 10 as well:

1) Ohio State traditionally not being able to beat an SEC team in a bowl game.
2) The Big 10 refusing to change its name even though there are now 11 teams. :rolleyes:
3) It traditionally being all about Michigan and Ohio State and then a bunch of other-rans. I'm surprise they let Penn State into the party.

I hope Zook does shake things up. More power to him. But he learned that craftiness in the SEC. ;)

Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan all have winning records against the SEC since 1995...

Actually, that's not entirely correct. Since 1995, Wisconsin is 2-4 against the SEC (two of those losses to UGA ;) ).

Penn State, I believe, is 3-2 (hardly dominance).

Michigan is 5-2, with two of those wins against Florida. That actually makes me happy. :)

Oh, and give a little love to Georgia over the last 6 years. They are 5-1 in bowl games over that span, including being 3-0 against the Big 10 (mighty Florida is only 2-3 in bowl games against Big 10 schools since 2002). In fact, Georgia's record against Big 10 schools in bowl games is 7-0 (they did lose to Penn State in the '83 Sugar Bowl, but PSU was an independent at that time). I'd say that helps pull the average way up.

Last edited:
Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan all have winning records against the SEC since 1995...

Actually, that's not entirely correct. Since 1995, Wisconsin is 2-4 against the SEC (two of those losses to UGA ;) ).

Penn State, I believe, is 3-2 (hardly dominance).

Michigan is 5-2, with two of those wins against Florida. That actually makes me happy. :)

Oh, and give a little love to Georgia over the last 6 years. They are 5-1 in bowl games over that span, including being 3-0 against the Big 10. In fact, Georgia's record against Big 10 schools in bowl games is 7-0 (they did lose to Penn State in the '83 Sugar Bowl, but PSU was an independent at that time). I'd say that helps pull the average way up.

Oops, meant Iowa (3-1), not Wisconsin. Thanks for the correction. And yes, Georgia gets credit for doing their part...

I have to agree that football is a fall/winter sport and it's somewhat unnatural to play indoors or in Mediterranean climes. In the north, the fans have to be as tough as the players.

Well to be fair to Michigan State they are not exactly LSU in terms of history, etc. It is somewhat analogous to a coach going from an Oregon State or a Maryland to LSU.

Nice! My Oregon State Beavers get mentioned! Unfortunately I cannot tell if it is a good thing or not. :um:

Nice! My Oregon State Beavers get mentioned! Unfortunately I cannot tell if it is a good thing or not. :um:

Not really meant as a "dig" to Oregon State but as a point of comparison to Michigan State as a national name.

Just got back from "Football Eve". Here i am with one of our former girls (Marie, now a PSU freshman)

6828_247974610012_525655012_8561972_6104169_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back