Colossians 2:11-12 is taken out of context by PaedoBaptists

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote:6b7cde1e12="Paul manata"]I didn't say that it did. I'm talking about the common lexical definition. More peple that biblical writers used that word. John Calvin writes:

"Whether the person baptized is to be wholly immersed . . .or whether he is only to be sprinkled with water, is not of the least consequence: churches should be at liberty to adopt either, according to the diversity of climates, although it is evident that the term baptize means to immerse, and that this was the form used by the primitive Church" (Institutes, 1975 ed., Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, II, 524; emp. added.)

So, I'm saying that the writers DID use it in ways that don't mean immerse, but I'm saying that the Baptists say that that is what the word means in it's common use.

Also, Ian, I think the verses you cite use the word baptismois and not bapto or baptizo.

I didn't see your newest post. This was to the one abobe...anyway :twocents:[/quote:6b7cde1e12]

Paul,

There seems to have been some misunderstanding here. Only my last post was directed at you. I'm know that those passages use the form baptizmos, but obviously the words are from the same root.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back