Comfort Is Not of the Being of a Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
For those of us who struggle with guilt and shame because we are not as joyful in the Lord as we once were...

Satan's device: Suggesting to the soul, that surely his estate is not good, because he cannot joy and rejoice in Christ as once he could; because he has lost that comfort and joy that once was in his spirit.

Says Satan, "You know the time was when your heart was much carried out to joying and rejoicing in Christ; you do not forget the time when your heart used to be full of joy and comfort; but now, how are you fallen in your joys and comforts! Therefore, your estate is not good; you do but deceive yourself to think that ever it was good, for surely if it was, your joy and comfort would have continued..."

Remedy (1). The first remedy against his device of Satan is, to consider, That the loss of comfort is a separable adjunct from grace. The soul may be full of holy affections, when it is empty of divine consolations. There may be, and often is, true grace, yes, much grace, where there is not a drop of comfort, nor dram of joy. Comfort is not of the being-but of the wellbeing, of a Christian. God has not so linked these two choice lovers together-but that they may be put asunder. That wisdom which is from above will never work a man to reason thus: "I have no comfort, therefore I have no grace; I have lost that joy that once I had, therefore my condition is not good, and was never good." But it will enable a man to reason thus: "Though my comfort is gone, yet the God of my comfort abides; though my joy is lost, yet the seeds of grace remain", The best men's joys are as fragile as glass, bright and brittle, and evermore in danger of breaking. Spiritual joy is a sun that is often clouded. It is like a precious flower-subject to fade and wither. (Ps 63:1,2,8; Isa 50:10; Micah 7:8,9; Ps 42:5)

From Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices, Thomas Brooks, pg.93,94

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back