Coming to Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
Some people refuse to come to Christ because they are convinced that they are such great sinners that they cannot be saved. “Why would God save such as me?” they ask. They believe that they are beyond the hope of salvation. They think, “If people could see the real me, they would realize that I could never come to Christ.” They see themselves beyond the mercy and grace of Christ. They believe their sins are too great to be forgiven.
Dear friend, why would your sin prevent you from coming to Christ? Does not the cross itself testify of the exceeding sinfulness of your sin? Does not Christ’s promise of rest to all who labor and are heavy laden speak to you? We do not come to Christ in the smallness of our sins or the greatness of our works. David cried unto the Lord, “For thy name’s sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great!” (Ps. 25:11).
Consider as well what an insult to Christ it is to hold that there is a limit on His power to forgive sin, or on the power of His atoning death to justify from the guilt of all sin, or on the power of His cleansing blood to wash away sin and uncleanness. In effect, you are saying that what God has provided in Christ simply falls short of what you need. God hasn’t done enough for you, even though He sent His Son to the cross to suffer and to die as the propitiation for our sins (1 John 2:2).
There is hope for you. John Flavel said, “The Lord is pleased to nourish still some hope in the soul under the greatest fears and troubles of spirit.… In hell, indeed, there is no hope to enlighten the darkness, but it is not so upon earth.”58 Come to Christ with your enormous sin, with all of your baggage, and discover that He is a great Savior. The hymn writer rightly says,

Come, ye weary, heavy laden,
Lost and ruined by the fall;
If you tarry till you’re better,
You will never come at all.

Let not conscience make you linger,
Not of fitness fondly dream;
All the fitness He requireth
Is to feel your need of Him.

Come to Christ now, come as you are, and receive the pardon of Jesus Christ!

Beeke, J. R., & Jones, M. (2012). A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life (p. 520). Grand Rapids, MI: Reformation Heritage Books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back