commands, statutes, decrees, laws, precepts in Psalm 119 What's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relztrah

Puritan Board Freshman
I love Psalm 119 and often pray a stanza at a time. I know from the footnotes that these are different Hebrew words, but what is the difference? I'm sure there are nuances of meaning in the original language. Can someone provide a simple layman's definition of each and how they differ?

Calvin's Commentary on Psalm 119

It may be proper to take notice of certain terms which frequently occur in the psalm. Of the term tvrh, torah, I say nothing, which, having its derivation from a word which signifies to instruct, is yet uniformly taken for law.​
Some of the Rabbis affirm that chvqym, chukim, signifies statutes, or divinely appointed rites, the, reason of which is very obvious.​
They say that phqdym, phikudim, denotes those precepts which relate to natural justice.​
It is certain that msphtym, mishpatim, signifies commandments, because this is proved by the etymology of the word.​
As to dvt, edoth, the Hebrews understand it of the doctrine of the law, but with the certain indication, pointing out to us that it is comprehensive of the manner in which God enters into covenant with his people.​
The precepts of the law are denominated judgments and righteousness, to inform us that God enjoins nothing except what is right and just, and that mankind ought to seek for no other rule for the perfecting of holiness, but what consists in regulating their life by rendering obedience to the law. The meaning is almost synonymous when they are called the ways of the Lord, intimating that those who do not depart from the direction of the law, may safely conclude that they are in no danger of going astray. The ordinances of God, and the edicts offerings, have the term chvqym, chukim, applied to them indiscriminately, and, phqvdym , phikudim, refers to different kinds of justice, as is manifest from many parts of Scripture which demonstrates that there is no foundation for the subtle distinction and difference formerly noticed. And in this psalm almost all these terms are synonym as the context will show. To procure greater respect for the law, the prophet adorns it with a variety of titles, taking care constantly to enjoin upon us the same doctrine. I now proceed to the consideration of the contents of the psalm.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back