Commentaries on Luke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
Coming to the end of a study in Psalms and looking to gather commentaries for a possible study in Luke. Probably starting in the next fortnight.

Which commentaries would you recommend? On a budget so I will be looking for second hand (EBAY, Amazon, ICM books direct and Abe)

I use Darrell Bock, Phil Ryken, and Leon Morris. Bock isn't Reformed, but it hardly matters in his treatment of Luke. His work is always helpful. Ryken is based on a sermon series and reads like sermons. They are good sermons, also helpful, though whatever technical work he did remains largely hidden as it would in a sermon. Morris is much shorter than the other two and probably available for much less money. He doesn't go into a lot of detail but is a solid starting place, and Morris is a great guy to read, period.

Coming to the end of a study in Psalms and looking to gather commentaries for a possible study in Luke. Probably starting in the next fortnight.

Which commentaries would you recommend? On a budget so I will be looking for second hand (EBAY, Amazon, ICM books direct and Abe)

I have over 40 commentaries and books on Luke. (I've been teaching from Luke for a while :) No, offense Jack, but I think Ryken talks too much and goes to far-a-field.

My favorite and first place I goto is:
Interpretation of St.Luke's Gospel 1-11 - tinyurl.com/yxez8823
Interpretation of St.Luke's Gospel 12-24 - tinyurl.com/y39w444t
by R. C. H Lenski (Author)

How's this for a deal. Since you are on a budget, I will order Luke TODAY and send them to you if you are interested. Let me know by PM, and if you want them, send me your mailing address.

I will look for the one-volume hardcover edition first, but as a backup, I will send the two-volume paperback edition from whoever promises to ship the fastest.

Richard Lenski is a Lutheran, so there are some commentaries of his I might not recommend. But he nails the Gospels and Acts.

Ed

I second Ryken if you are looking for excellent practical theology.

I third Ryken. It was very good. Only drawback is that he uses the ESV. (Sorry, had to say it.)

I think Ryken talks too much and goes to far-a-field.
Ed

The Ryken I am thinking of (Leland Ryken) is pretty sound and was a contributor to the ESV. Fascinated by his insights into translation - Oh and he now has "THE" wardrobe that belonged to C S Lewis!o_O

His book A Literary Introduction To The Bible is one I frequently go back to.

I use Darrell Bock, Phil Ryken, and Leon Morris. Bock isn't Reformed, but it hardly matters in his treatment of Luke. His work is always helpful. Ryken is based on a sermon series and reads like sermons. They are good sermons, also helpful, though whatever technical work he did remains largely hidden as it would in a sermon. Morris is much shorter than the other two and probably available for much less money. He doesn't go into a lot of detail but is a solid starting place, and Morris is a great guy to read, period.
Dr Bock commentary on Luke highly regarded, and Dr Morris books always good to read, as learned a lot from his work on Romans.

The Ryken I am thinking of (Leland Ryken) is pretty sound and was a contributor to the ESV. Fascinated by his insights into translation - Oh and he now has "THE" wardrobe that belonged to C S Lewis!

I was quoting Jack who mentioned Philip Ryken. While I am sure is sound, I just don't enjoy his style, but I still refer to him when preparing to teach. But Lenski on the Gospels I read, and sometimes re-read cover to cover.

Last edited:
Whichever you chose try thriftbooks.com. I have found some pretty good books at a great price. For example I got Louis Berkhoffs Systematic Theology in hard back with dust cover for around $4. Plus they have free shipping on orders over $10.

Last edited:
I am nearing the end of my sermon series through Luke. I always read Calvin, Henry, and Gill. With others, I would strongly recommend J. C. Ryle. On Luke, his observations are pointed and searching and his critical comments in the printed edition (which I think no Christian home should be without!) are very helpful. In terms of modern commentaries on Luke, I would recommend William Hendriksen. But you will have to buy it used since (much to my displeasure) his New Testament Commentary is no longer in print.

I am nearing the end of my sermon series through Luke. I always read Calvin, Henry, and Gill. With others, I would strongly recommend J. C. Ryle. On Luke, his observations are pointed and searching and his critical comments in the printed edition (which I think no Christian home should be without!) are very helpful. In terms of modern commentaries on Luke, I would recommend William Hendriksen. But you will have to buy it used since (much to my displeasure) his New Testament Commentary is no longer in print.

Finally! Someone remembered William Hendrickson's 1981 commentary. I'm surprised his name hasn't turned up until now.

Recently, a friend of mine who is downsizing his library (he's 75) gave me his entire William Hendrickson/Simon J. Kistemaker set - except for the volume on Revelation, which I acquired through Mr. Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back