Commentaries on the Westminster COF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheryl Watson

Puritan Board Freshman
Confessing the Faith by Van Dixhoorn seems to be OOP. Are there any resources you all would recommend that are similar?

Look for used copies if not in print of G. I. Williamson's study of the confession (he also did the shorter catechism) and the old 19th century standard work (text online too) by Robert Shaw.

Cheryl, the standard commentaries are the following: A.A. Hodge, Robert Shaw, G.I. Williamson, R.C. Sproul, David Dickson, J.V. Fesko, Joey Pipa, and Chad Van Dixhoorn.

Cheryl, the standard commentaries are the following: A.A. Hodge, Robert Shaw, G.I. Williamson, R.C. Sproul, David Dickson, J.V. Fesko, Joey Pipa, and Chad Van Dixhoorn.
Thank you! Would my being a lay-person change anything about the order in which you recommend them?

Look for used copies if not in print of G. I. Williamson's study of the confession (he also did the shorter catechism) and the old 19th century standard work (text online too) by Robert Shaw.
Are these the ones?

I hadn't gotten down to him yet. Can you explain what is funny? Should I be looking up a different name (like if that's a nickname)?
Yes, just chuckling because Reverend Keister referred to him as "Joey". He's indeed correct though, his book is great. His name is Joseph A. Pipa Jr. Here is a link to the resource!

Are these the ones?

Yes; those are the ones.

Yes, just chuckling because Reverend Keister referred to him as "Joey". He's indeed correct though, his book is great. His name is Joseph A. Pipa Jr. Here is a link to the resource!

Thank you! I appreciate his full name as I would have probably had some difficulty once I got to him, LOL. And, thank you for the link :)

This was the very FIRST Reformed book I read. Highly recommended. Certainly there are many good books on the WCF.
Thank you! Since it was your first, would you say that it's approachable for lay people? Yes, so many, so hard to choose ;-)
I read it back in 1994. I still love it though other good ones have come out since then. GI Williamson is a good starting point, but do read Hodge too :)

It is more challenging to get, but if you want a more technical commentary on the Standards (i.e., not just the WCF, but also the WLC and WSC together), get The Presbyterian Standards by Francis Beattie. It is pretty dry but helpful. Beattie is Chad Van Dixhoorn's favorite commentary on Westminster.

It is more challenging to get, but if you want a more technical commentary on the Standards (i.e., not just the WCF, but also the WLC and WSC together), get The Presbyterian Standards by Francis Beattie. It is pretty dry but helpful. Beattie is Chad Van Dixhoorn's favorite commentary on Westminster.
Thank you so much! Is this it? When you say challenging to get, do you mean difficult to understand? At first I was thinking you meant OOP, but (if this is it) it seems in print.

Thank you so much! Is this it? When you say challenging to get, do you mean difficult to understand? At first I was thinking you meant OOP, but (if this is it) it seems in print.
It's even less expensive here:

That's not the edition I have. I think the edition I have may be out of print. However, as Lance pointed out above, GPTS may still have some copies. That is where I got mine a few years ago (I don't live that far from Greenville).

Speaking of G. I. Williamson, he is still with us at 97; does anyone know the state of his health? He retired about a decade or more ago.

That's not the edition I have. I think the edition I have may be out of print. However, as Lance pointed out above, GPTS may still have some copies. That is where I got mine a few years ago (I don't live that far from Greenville).
Thanks, I'll order from them while they still have some!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back