Commentary on 1 Corinthians

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Swan

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm looking for a detailed exegetical Reformed commentary on 1 Corinthians. I'm looking for something with excessive detail and tedium, similar to the World commentary series.

Any Recommendations?

I'm looking for a detailed exegetical Reformed commentary on 1 Corinthians. I'm looking for something with excessive detail and tedium, similar to the World commentary series.

Any Recommendations?

Hope this helps.
Top 5 Commentaries on the Book of 1 Corinthians
Top 5 Commentaries on the Book of 1 Corinthians by Keith Mathison | Ligonier Ministries Blog

or you can try Mathew Henry
Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary on the Bible
Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible [Volume Index] - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

I think Hodge is becoming one of my favorite commentators. I'm reading his commentary on Romans, and love how in-depth he goes into both the grammatical and the theological substance of the text. He's also very good at presenting potential alternate views to passages, and demonstrating why those views are either flat out wrong or less likely.

Hodge is a definite two thumbs up! Just make sure you take your time reading him!

Here is Greenbaggins' recommendations from 2006:

Lots of good stuff here. First-rate: Thiselton, Garland, Barrett, Fee, Hodge, Collins, Naylor Second-rate: Blomberg, Clark, Conzelman, Godet, Hays, Robertson/Plummer, Sampley, Thrall, Bruce, Luther Forthcoming: Belleville (WBC), Ellis (ICC), Rosner/Ciampa (PNTC), Verbrugge (EBC rev.) Conservative: Thiselton, Garland, Fee (though with one bad lapse), Hodge, Naylor, Blomberg, Clark, Godet, Bruce, Luther Moderate: Barrett, Collins, Hays, Robertson/Plummer, Thrall, Sampley Liberal: Conzelmann Of the forthcoming commentaries, Belleville will be fairly conservative, Ellis should be moderate to conservative, Rosner/Ciampa should be conservative, and Verbrugge will be conservative.

similar to the World commentary series.

"World" or "Word"?

Sorry... "Word". Typed that one quick this morning.

I'm interested is the sort of tedium that the Word commentary usually includes (There volume is not published yet). That is, i'm looking for those commentaries that focus on the monro details, and also note the particular way the text has been used by the church through the centuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back