• Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgkortus

Puritan Board Freshman
I will be leading a women's Bible study on the book of Hebrews. I would like to know what commentary you believe is best.

There are a couple of old threads asking for recommendations of commentaries on Hebrews. The responses are varied, so thought it was worth creating a poll.

My wife studied Hebrews with a woman's group in Canada a while back. They used Hywel Jones' Let's Study Hebrews and it was well-regarded.

I preached through Heb 12 at our previous church, and found Owen and Dickson to be most helpful week-to-week. Calvin and Poole were tied for 3rd place.

I personally think Owen is unmatched. If I were leading a Bible Study; I would probably suggest that they read something less weighty.

I have a question about John Owen's commentary. Should one read the exercitations first, and then read the commentary, or read the commentary first, and then go back to them? I'm not sure why they're published first (before the commentary).

I agree -- Owen is probably too much of a good thing for most folks. I don't have access to Bruce or Kistemaker, but Dickson was quite accessible, pleasant to read, and helpful.

Have you or others used this? Does it accurately represent Owen's work?

I personally think Owen is unmatched. If I were leading a Bible Study; I would probably suggest that they read something less weighty.

Crossway publishes an extremely condensed version of Owen's commentary on Hebrews with updated language. I believe it is less than 300 pages. http://www.christianbook.com/hebrew...t=40268&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP|M

Crossway publishes an extremely condensed version of Owen's commentary on Hebrews with updated language. I believe it is less than 300 pages. http://www.christianbook.com/hebrew...t=40268&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP|M

It is certainly a fair representation of Owen's main points, however anytime you take a 4000 page work and condense it to 300, much will be lost. I would still recommend it however as a good introductory commentary that outlines the main ideas of this great epistle.

Great! Well, based on the poll results, Owen is the preferred commentary on Hebrews. I think I will start here and then look to the 7-volume work for further explanation when necessary.

It is certainly a fair representation of Owen's main points, however anytime you take a 4000 page work and condense it to 300, much will be lost. I would still recommend it however as a good introductory commentary that outlines the main ideas of this great epistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back