Commentary on The Psalms- Plumer or Spurgeon? Or Maybe Both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian R.

Puritan Board Freshman
Anxious to dive deeper into the Psalms I've determined to purchase either Plumer's Commentary or Spurgeon's Treasury of David. I have very little knowledge of either work, but I've read some great reviews.

Do any of you have any feedback regarding these two works? As always, I really value your input. Thanks so much.

I got Plumer's work for free at T4G last week and I have been loving it. Can't say that I have read Spurgeon's treasury though so I cannot compare the two. From what I have heard/seen though, Plumer's seems to be much more extensive.

I find Plumer helpful in the practical section but Spurgeon's collection of Puritan views on a text is great. They both quote Hengstenberg which is satisfying to me.

I don't have Plumer, but I've got my wife's grandfather's 3-vol. set of The Treasury of David. It is excellent.

That being said, I may have to save up some pennies toward Plumer -- it looks great!

I haven't read Plummer, but I have perused my 3 - vol. treasury of David and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Plumer is excellent for the interpretation of the text and offering help on the range of opinions on it; he also has expository comment at the end of each psalm which adds practical value. Spurgeon is good for devotions rather than interpretation; but his excellent collection of quotations adds interpretative and practical value.

A number of years ago I went through the Psalms and made special use of Plumer, and found a whole section missing; this was an earlier Banner of Truth reprint. It could have been a one off, though. Thankfully a helpful Christian brother scanned the pages for me. This was before googlebooks or archive.

Here are some evaluations of both works from various sources that might be helpful to you in making a decision:

Charles Spurgeon

A classic in its field. Richly rewarding, deeply devotional, and pleasingly relevant. Provides not only the thoughts of the great "Prince of Preachers" of the last century, but also an abundance of quotations taken from the writings of those who have preceded him in the ministry of the Word.
Cyril Barber - The Minister's Library

Rich devotional material that will prove invaluable in the minister's personal life and a great source of material for teaching and preaching. More than a commentary, this great work includes a theological collection, a collection of illustrative extracts from the whole range of literature and a series of homiletical hints on almost every verse in Psalms. He drew from over a thousand authors and sources, classical, Jewish, and Christian from all periods of church history.
David Brookman - Basic Books for The Minister's Library

Spurgeons' is the most helpful exposition of the Psalms. He has many pithy statements in his own comments: "Prayer without fervency is like hunting with a dead dog" and "Faith derives both light and life from God, and hence she neither dies nor darkens." He quotes gems from a vast array of other authors: "Those that lie in jest will (without repentance) go to hell in earnest" (John Trapp) and "The benefit of life is not in the length, but in the use of it. He sometimes lives the least that lives the longest" (Seneca)
Stewart Custer - Tools for Preaching and Teaching the Bible

This is another work that is beyond all praise. And it has had plenty of praise from all quarters of Christendom, such as this from Philip Schaff: "The most important and practical work of the ages on the Psalter.'
This is an original work over which Spurgeon labored for years and years. And the results of such a labor love can be seen in its many fruitful pages.
The pattern of the work is as follows: First, Spurgeon gives his own exposition of each verse under study. Then he gives illustrative extracts from the whole range of literature on the Psalms. Altogether, Spurgeon quotes hundreds of authors, and many of the quotations are quite full. As you would expect a host of the Puritans are quoted. The whole makes a rich tapestry of Divine truth, a fascinating portrayal of David, and a lovely description of Christ as He appears in so many Psalms. Most of the great Puritan writers have a great many quotations. But there are also quotations from all periods of history, up to the time of Spurgeon. The quotations, many of them from rare books we are not apt to see again, are precious and informative. The index of authors and bibliographies make this work even more useful.
Jay Green - Best Books in Print

Preachers and teachers will find much useful material in Spurgeon
W.J. Grier - The Best Books - A guide to Christian literature

A classic as soon as it came off the press. Spurgeon put his own massive intellect, biblical learning and deep spirituality to work producing his greatest literary achievement. What's more, he culled through the best of the best of the commentators down through the ages to give the cream of the crop of comments on each verse. A true treasure-trove!
Steven L. Martin - 21st Century Commenting on Commentaries

This famous work contains Spurgeon's own expositions of each Psalm together with his selection of extracts from other writers and masses of preaching suggestions for each one. No available work (other than Albert Barnes) gives so much detail. Devotional rather than exegetical, and greatly loved by a vast number of users since 1870. Rich with thought, ideal for devotions, and always valued by message-preparers.
Peter Masters - The Preacher's Library

In this very detailed exposition, the London pulpit master dealt with each verse, giving a wealth of illustration, practical comment, and preaching hints. Spurgeon shows that he read widely in the best literature of his day, gleaning out rich quotes. On any given verse once can expect to find exposition or quotes looking at it from various angles. The devotional flavor is excellent. Here is a suggestive source for preacher or teacher and much wealth for general readers, though readers must go elsewhere for word studies and exegesis to supplement their own personal exegetical study.
Jim Rosscup - Commentaries for Biblical Expositors

The Treasury of David, is sometimes sniffed at, but a real scholar like Dr. Philip Schaff did not hesitate to say: "The most important and practical work of the ages on the Psalter. It is full of the force of the genius of this celebrated preacher, and rich in selections from the entire range of literature."
Wilbur M. Smith - Profitable Bible Study

Reviewers have handled this book with remarkable kindness, and the public have endorsed their judgment by largely purchasing the volumes already issued. It would not become us to say more.
Charles H. Spurgeon - Commenting and Commentaries

Should definitely be considered for sermon preparation
Derek Thomas - The Essential Commentaries for a Preacher's Library

I must confess to having mixed emotions about Charles H. Spurgeon's monumental Treasury of David. Spurgeon's own expositions and comments are worth reading, but the antiquarian nuggets dug up by his secretary, John L. Keys, are musty and at times a bit comical; and the "hints to the village preacher" contain little that is preachable today. It is worth owning, but waste no time reading the miscellaneous material. Concentrate on Spurgeon, and the set will enrich you.
Warren Wiersbe - A Basic Library for Bible Students

Joel Beeke lists Spurgeon's work as the #1 pick for commentaries on Psalms.

William Plumer
Plumer follows a path like Spurgeon, combining his own insights with insights gleaned from worthy scholars of the past whose shoulders he could stand on for insight. Massive in size and value.
Steven L. Martin - 21st Century Commenting on Commentaries

An enormous book in which this nineteenth century American preacher and schoolman collects the best comments from other writers. In the same style as the author's volume on Romans, there are very long sections of numbered doctrinal and practical remarks which are of prime importance to preachers and teachers.
Peter Masters - The Preacher's Library

A huge volume, compiled from such works as were accessible to the author in the United States. Full of instructive comment, but not very original, or remarkably learned.
Charles H. Spurgeon - Commenting and Commentaries

Still remains one of the best. Especially helpful are his 'doctrinal and practical remarks.'
Derek Thomas - The Essential Commentaries for a Preacher's Library

Thanks for all of the feedback! Both volumes appear to be outstanding. If I live long enough I'll likely purchase and read both. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back