Common sayings that you despise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Rick Larson
Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
:lol: Some friend gave me a t-shirt that has a pic of Calvin, and underneath it says "Calvin is my homeboy"

I want that shirt- where'd he get it?

I think she had it made through some website. I'll see if I can find out for you.

Everyone should get one so they could be cool...cool like Calvin. :cool:

Originally posted by crhoades
My biggest pet peeve of the moment is people be speaking this way.

People have quit congugating the verb 'be' from is, am, was, were and now use the word be and take the verb and add an 'ing ending.

You be tripping.
We be posting.
She be coming in late all the time...
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Aww, man! What be wrong wi dat, dog? And you breezy says "like" cause dats, like, where she from, ya know?

:lol: (sorry, picked up from years of hubby working inner city!)

WWJD gets on my nerves due to its overuse and misuse.
Judge ye not (as though this negates the use of discernment)

Yeah...the "judge not." crowd grates on me too...if they would just read a few more verses they would come to Jesus calling certain people "dogs" and "swine"...

How unspiritual!

Mennonite phrases that really got to me (us "seekers" used to have a good laugh over these)

We're going trippin' (this meant they were going on a trip from state to state...for us, this would mean going on drugs!)
We were crayonin' (coloring)
It's all (it's all gone) or Is it all?
That was a ferociously friendly dog!
It's burny outside (hot) or It's terribly burny out.

Oh, and any jokes dealing with tractors are typically really dumb.

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." - James 1:27

I don't care for the "its not religion, its relationship" either. Although I do agree with Joseph that cold formalism is bad and a strong loving relation with God is good. James equates proper religion with something substantive.

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
We're going trippin' (this meant they were going on a trip from state to state...for us, this would mean going on drugs!)
:lol:
I can just see a mennonite wearing a tie-dye t'shirt saying, "The col-ors..."

From the corporate world:

"price point" (means "price"). Eg. What is your price point for getting me to stop using corporate jargon?

impactful. Eg. That program sure was impactful.

"spend" used as a noun. Eg. We need to control spend in this department.

incent (used as a verb meaning to create an incentive). Eg. How can I incent you to speak proper English?

"Oh, and any jokes dealing with tractors are typically really dumb."

As are jokes with animals that speak. Where do you live? I have never heard any of those terms.

[Edited on 8-12-2005 by Scott]

Originally posted by Scott
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." - James 1:27

I don't care for the "its not religion, its relationship" either. Although I do agree with Joseph that cold formalism is bad and a strong loving relation with God is good. James equates proper religion with something substantive.

You would have really enjoyed my first church's motto!

Originally posted by satz
Originally posted by biblelighthouse
I can't stand the hymn that goes, "Softly and Tenderly Jesus is calling . . ."

It wrongly paints Jesus as a helpless person merely wooing people to come to Him, just hoping that some people will respond to His tender call. Arminian Hogwash!

hmmm Joseph...

Couldn't this be talking about a situation AFTER conversion? Ie Jesus Christ calling christians to love him more and have a deeper practical relationship with him?

Just thinkin' aloud...

Nope . . . I wish that's all the song was talking about. Here are the full lyrics:

1. Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
calling for you and for me;
see, on the portals he's waiting and watching,
watching for you and for me.
Refrain:
Come home, come home;
ye who are weary come home;
earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
calling, O sinner, come home!

2. Why should we tary when Jesus is pleading,
pleading for you and for me?
Why should we linger and heed not his mercies,
mercies for you and for me?
(Refrain)

3. Time is now fleeting, the moments are passing,
passing from you and from me;
shadows are gathering, deathbeds are coming,
coming for you and for me.
(Refrain)

4. O for the wonderful love he has promised,
promised for you and for me!
Though we have sinned, he has mercy and pardon,
pardon for you and for me.
(Refrain)

That's an "altar call" song if I ever heard one. I used to love it. But now I can't stand it.

"Oh, and any jokes dealing with tractors are typically really dumb."

As are jokes with animals that speak. Where do you live? I have never heard any of those terms.

[Edited on 8-12-2005 by Scott]

Southern Illinois...but they are NOT typical of Southern Illinois. They are specifically typical of mennonite and amish families.

Originally posted by joshua
Originally posted by Slippery
Originally posted by joshua
"like" and "whatever" ya know what I'm sayin'? :p
that credit card commercial about identity theft is hilarious :D

Totally! :p

I love those commercials!!!

Another kinda cute one is the "ultrasound" baby threatening to not come out until he's "ten" if mom keeps eating spicy food.

:lol: Some friend gave me a t-shirt that has a pic of Calvin, and underneath it says "Calvin is my homeboy"

I want that shirt- where'd he get it?

I think she had it made through some website. I'll see if I can find out for you.

Everyone should get one so they could be cool...cool like Calvin. :cool:

I just talked to her, and she said that she:

1) Found a jpeg of her favorite pic of Calvin
2) went to http://www.zazzle.com/ and had the t-shirt made with the image and caption underneath. This website allows you to "create your own" t-shirts.

As Starsky would say (Ben Stiller at least)...."Do it" :detective:

Experience God-Not Religion.....Oh Come on.

I hate that saying because Christianity is a world religion. When Christians say that they sound stupid. They sound like they don't believe the facts about language. In another Thread Theologicalbooks is discussing epistemology. It is the study of how we know things. I studied it years ago. Christians in general have no idea what they are talking about. Me included. But we don't have to lie about it or make up stuff to emphasize our points. When we do we sound stupid and ignorant.

Here is the definition from the dictionary.

Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or being regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

What is wrong with that definition? We should emphsize the major difference between our God and theirs, but we shouldn't lie about Christianity not being a religion. We destroy our witness about God by trying to emphasize a single truth. God doesn't accept untruthfulness as a witnessing tool.:banghead:

Randy, I had brought this subject up with the "pastors", and suggested we at least say "false religion". I didn't get too far.

"I hate that saying because Christianity is a world religion."

Good point. It is funny to think of Christianity as one of the "great world relationships." :lol: I can see a college course, "Great World Relationships 101"

Colleen: Please give us one tractor joke. Thanks

You hear about the farmer who came home one evening to find his wife had left him? All that she left was a "John Deere" letter.

;)

I've come to the conclusion that arminian quotes are so bad because they are always emotional charged, and emotional for the sake of being emotional. For example, a major arminian that i used to love is Adrian Rogers.... I started thinking about some of his sermons this morning, and the stories and analogies he'd use would always be emotionally charged. Thus are most arminian quotes: emotionally charged. They are so emotional that its like being on a drug, they love the feeling, lose touch with reality and then float around doctrine.

[Edited on 8-12-2005 by ABondSlaveofChristJesus]

These are a few of my not-favorite things;

Using "they" and "their" with singular nouns; e.g. a person needs their space.

the verb "to consequate". I'm not kidding, I saw this in a manual for people working with developmentally disabled adults. I went around singing "The consequated cwoss I'd bear" for a while...

All government-speak! (I work for the state of Oregon, I hear a lot of it).

The gay church around here had a good motto..."By their fruits ye shall know them..."

Tractor joke:

What did the chicky say before it was run over by a Case (brand of tractor)? Cheap-cheap!

Did you hear about John Deere and AM (some female name brand of tractor) getting married? Yep, they had a son and, boy, was he a Case!

Dumb, dumb, and dumb!!!

Tractor joke:

What did the chicky say before it was run over by a Case (brand of tractor)? Cheap-cheap!

Did you hear about John Deere and AM (some female name brand of tractor) getting married? Yep, they had a son and, boy, was he a Case!

Dumb, dumb, and dumb!!!

I work for Bridgestone/Firestone in the Off Road Tires (Mining, Quarry, Construction)...I'll email our ag tire folk to see if they have any good tractor jokes...waiting on pins and needles.

Originally posted by crhoades
I work for Bridgestone/Firestone in the Off Road Tires (Mining, Quarry, Construction)...I'll email our ag tire folk to see if they have any good tractor jokes...waiting on pins and needles.

NOOOO!!!!!! :banghead:

:D

Tractor joke:

Dumb, dumb, and dumb!!!

Raise your hand, guys, if you've ever gotten a John Deere letter! :D

Originally posted by Draught Horse
Aww, man! What be wrong wi dat, dog? And you breezy says "like" cause dats, like, where she from, ya know?

Wow, Colleen, that's pretty good!

Why, thank you! ;)

btw, Augusta...my hubby and BIL say "its all good!" LOL! Of course, they are just trying to be funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back