Common sayings that you despise

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokingFlax

Puritan Board Sophomore
The other day I heard (once again) a saying that I totally cannot stand. I've heard it so often from so many different places that it makes me wonder at the power of a simple phrase -or perhaps more accurately, the spirit behind the sentiment.

Anyways, the saying is this:

"I'm not religious but I'm real spiritual."

Or something along those lines...
It always makes me cringe and I've decided that the next time I hear it I'm going to reply something like this:

"So what you're saying is that you admit to being a proud idolator."

or maybe this:

"What makes you think that you can have God on your own terms rather than by the way that He commanded?"

So my question is, are there any other phrases that you all hear out there that just rub you the wrong way every time you hear them?

A friend of mine once said to me as I was evangelizing to him "Joe,there is a time and a place for God."

"God loves everybody"
"Jesus loves everybody"
"You became a Christian?Well,good for you."
"Judge not...."Satan`s favorite verse for ammunition to use against the illiterate(non Bible reading) Christian.
"I`m a good person."
"The God of Christianity and the God of Islam are one in the same."

Here`s a quote I was once fond of saying:

"I don`t believe God would send anybody to hell."

[Edited on 8-12-2005 by Average Joey]

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
I hate the saying... "Christianity isn't a religion it is a relationship."

I don`t think the saying is really bad,it`s just over-used so much.Just like "What would Jesus do?"

We can use the word relationship in such a common and weak way.It`s just like the word love.

I can't stand the hymn that goes, "Softly and Tenderly Jesus is calling . . ."

It wrongly paints Jesus as a helpless person merely wooing people to come to Him, just hoping that some people will respond to His tender call. Arminian Hogwash!

Originally posted by biblelighthouse

Why do you hate it?

Judas had a "relationship" with Jesus. Christianity is first and formost about what Christ did for his people. This happened completely outside of you.

I just thought of another one I hate . . . I can't stand the southern gospel song that goes, "I kept on searchin' 'till I found the King of Kings".

Baloney! None of us searched for Him. We are His bitter enemies until HE searches us out and changes our hearts.

Once again, it's ARMINIAN HOGWASH!

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel

Why do you hate it?

Judas had a "relationship" with Jesus. Christianity is first and formost about what Christ did for his people. This happened completely outside of you.

That is a very good point.

On the other hand, I understand how the saying could be used in a correct way (the way I try to use it occasionally) . . . When I say it, I just mean that a key essence of Christianity is an intimate love relationship with the Saviour, as opposed to cold "religiosity" that is bent on mere external motions. And at least in my mind when I say it, I understand that that intimate relationship was caused by Christ and His work, not by any initiative of mine.

But still, you make a very good point. I can certainly see how someone could twist that "Christianity is a relationship" saying in such a way that it would seem to exclude the centrality of Christ's work. Very good point.

I need to think on that a while.

I can't stand the hymn that goes, "Softly and Tenderly Jesus is calling . . ."

It wrongly paints Jesus as a helpless person merely wooing people to come to Him, just hoping that some people will respond to His tender call. Arminian Hogwash!

hmmm Joseph...

Couldn't this be talking about a situation AFTER conversion? Ie Jesus Christ calling christians to love him more and have a deeper practical relationship with him?

Just thinkin' aloud...

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Originally posted by joshua
"like" and "whatever" ya know what I'm sayin'? :p

Like, whaddaya mean, Josh? :D

Hey!!! My wife is from southern California!!!

I'll never forget one of the first times we talked on the phone and she made a comment about my ever so slight southern accent and I responded that she just said 'like' 7 times in 2 sentences!:lol:

My biggest pet peeve of the moment is people be speaking this way.

People have quit congugating the verb 'be' from is, am, was, were and now use the word be and take the verb and add an 'ing ending.

You be tripping.
We be posting.
She be coming in late all the time...
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Here's one I like!

When synergism is true.

"I did my part in salvation and God did His part."
"Oh really?"
"Yes, I did everything I possibly could to escape Him, and He did the rest." :D

I hate the term "it's all good" :banghead: Uh....no it's not. And you hear this alot from people who my hubby says think Jesus is like a southern Cal, pot-head, surfer, spiritual type god. Not the absolute, almighty, immutable God.

"God spoke to me and told me..."

"___ touched my heart"

"I knew it in my head, but not in my heart."

"You can miss heaven by 12 inches"

[Edited on 8-12-2005 by Jeff_Bartel]

Let's not forget the "MY god is a god of love" crowd. As if we each have our own personal god of our own making.
dry.gif

[Edited on 8-12-2005 by Augusta]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back