Communion with Christ's Human Nature During the Supper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TryingToLearn

Puritan Board Freshman
I've been re-reading Bavinck on the Supper, and, I understand that the Reformed position is that we commune with Christ's human and divine nature in the supper on the basis that you cannot commune with one nature because of the unity of Christ's person; but I am having a hard time understanding what is meant by this.

The human nature of Christ is in Heaven remains limited in knowledge and spatial awareness. So, at least when I think of communing with Christ's human nature, I see this as actually talking to the body and and soul (hence, human nature) that is Jesus Christ. But if we commune with the whole Christ because we commune with the person, then this must also mean that during Jesus' humiliation, people "communed with his human nature" whenever they prayed to God, even though Christ's body and soul could have been miles away from them, wherever they were in Palestine. What then is the nature of this communion with his human nature? Of course, the divine nature can periodically communicate large bursts of information to the human nature (mind) of Christ which would not violate the Creator-creature distinction and Chalcedon, as I suppose is the actual truth of the matter, but is this what is meant by communion with Christ's human nature? Does it mean the human nature of Christ is mentally aware of this communion each time we partake of the Supper, or is something else meant?

On the other hand, Bavinck says that the Supper, "remains a communion with his crucified body and with his shed blood" (RD, Vol 4., 579), so I'm guessing "communion" doesn't mean something like mentally-aware fellowship, as I was thinking and therefore "communion with his human nature", doesn't mean Christ's human mind is necessarily aware of this? Still unsure what "communion" would mean then.

I’m currently reading Mathison’s Given For You and wholeheartedly recommend it. Something worth noting is that there has been theological drift in the Reformed doctrine of the Lord’s Supper. Bavinck’s doctrine is not Calvin’s doctrine. What does it mean to commune with Christ’s human nature in the supper? It means that Christ’s body and blood are truly offered to all who partake of the sacrament, and those who in faith partake, truly feed on His body and blood just as they feed on the bread and the wine. This occurs through the power of the Holy Spirit who unites us to Christ and bridges the gap between His body in heaven and us on the earth. In other words, there is a sacramental union between the sign (bread and wine) and the thing signified (Christ’s body and blood) and those of faith are made partakers of the thing signified by the Holy Spirit. The partaking of His body and blood is true, but it is not corporal.

Another idea: Christ's human nature is sort of a third term mediation between us and the divine nature. The divine nature is simple and so we wouldn't have direct participation in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back