Compensation for Writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob

Puritan Board Freshman
Something that I have wondered about over the years is how one should establish a fair and just method of compensation for those who labor to produce audio and written materials that pertain to spiritual things.

I am aware of some reformed producers that charge so much for their books and audio that many cannot simply afford to acquire them. One looks at the yearly audits of some of these Christian authors and publishers and wonders if they are pushing the envelope a bit in regard to a fair compensation.

I personally would have a difficult time charging or expecting a fee for work that involves the Christian ministry. I did not write the SCriptures nor was I responsible for the measure of understanding that the Spirit of God has been pleased to pour upon me. My desire in teaching and preaching is to see the saints grow in grace and in the knowledge of Christ.

The laborer is worthy of his hire we are reminded, yet we also know that Paul was not about to be numbered as one who peddled the holy things of God. When the Left Behind series was selling like gangbusters, I noticed that nearly every major well known author quickly got a book on eschatology out on the market. Was this the result of a genuine concern to counter the confusion that was extant or was this the result of a marketing team suggesting that this was a good time to enter the eschatological market?

It costs a certain amount to publish a book and a lot of time is required to write one. I am not trying to suggest that this labor must be only a labor of love, but I do have to confess that I get a little irritated when I see how lucrative writing christian books and music has become.

When the Puritan pastors were writing their volumes, were they receiving compensation for their efforts?

Any thoughts?

[Edited on 10-2-2006 by bob]

I would like to know who is actually making money publishing Puritan books; I must be doing something different.
redface1.gif

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
I would like to know who is actually making money publishing Puritan books; I must be doing something different.
redface1.gif

I thought Journals were where all the money was...;) Probably not there either!

Originally posted by crhoades
redface1.gif

Mmh. I see a pattern developing.;) Actually the journal is breaking even, at least on production costs. Also consider that almost noone recoups the cost of the time they put into a new book (and consider all the "time" each writer puts into his article for the journal).

The labourer is worthy of his wages, so I am not very sympathetic to cries of foul when book publishes put some value in what they have to sell. If they put too high a price on a title, the market will tell them that; lesson learned.

The middle-men make whatever money there is to be made. The writers of Reformed books don't, by and large, make much money from it. It's done for the benefit of the churches.

For what it's worth, get about $40.00 a year or so from the Protestant Scholasticism book. I get nothing for the Olevian book. I'll get a little of the Covenant and Justication book.

The best selling Reformed books in recent decades probably only sell about 250,000 copies or so. Some titles that are in print for decades (e.g., Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God or certain of RC's titles) probably sell more.

It's pretty hard to make a living doing nothing but writing Reformed books!

rsc

Originally posted by bob
Something that I have wondered about over the years is how one should establish a fair and just method of compensation for those who labor to produce audio and written materials that pertain to spiritual things.

I am aware of some reformed producers that charge so much for their books and audio that many cannot simply afford to acquire them. One looks at the yearly audits of some of these Christian authors and publishers and wonders if they are pushing the envelope a bit in regard to a fair compensation.

I personally would have a difficult time charging or expecting a fee for work that involves the Christian ministry. I did not write the SCriptures nor was I responsible for the measure of understanding that the Spirit of God has been pleased to pour upon me. My desire in teaching and preaching is to see the saints grow in grace and in the knowledge of Christ.

The laborer is worthy of his hire we are reminded, yet we also know that Paul was not about to be numbered as one who peddled the holy things of God. When the Left Behind series was selling like gangbusters, I noticed that nearly every major well known author quickly got a book on eschatology out on the market. Was this the result of a genuine concern to counter the confusion that was extant or was this the result of a marketing team suggesting that this was a good time to enter the eschatological market?

It costs a certain amount to publish a book and a lot of time is required to write one. I am not trying to suggest that this labor must be only a labor of love, but I do have to confess that I get a little irritated when I see how lucrative writing christian books and music has become.

When the Puritan pastors were writing their volumes, were they receiving compensation for their efforts?

Any thoughts?

[Edited on 10-2-2006 by bob]

I heard years ago that one of Chilton's books sold 30,000 copies and that was considered a huge seller. On the other end of things I usually print 500 to 1000 copies of NP titles and I'm very pleased when those sell out.

redface1.gif

Mmh. I see a pattern developing.;) Actually the journal is breaking even, at least on production costs. Also consider that almost noone recoups the cost of the time they put into a new book (and consider all the "time" each writer puts into his article for the journal).

The labourer is worthy of his wages, so I am not very sympathetic to cries of foul when book publishes put some value in what they have to sell. If they put too high a price on a title, the market will tell them that; lesson learned.

Just to make sure...I was being tongue in cheek. All you guys should make more. I have no problem paying money for books and journals that are good quality. :handshake:

Just to make sure...I was being tongue in cheek. All you guys should make more. I have no problem paying money for books and journals that are good quality. :handshake:
I understood that; maybe we need a tongue-in-cheek emoticon.:-?
;)

[Edited on 10-2-2006 by NaphtaliPress]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back