Lend Competent to Counsel

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexanderHenderson1647

Puritan Board Freshman
Amazon.com: Competent to Counsel: ADAMS JAY E.: Books

"Competent to Counsel," Jay Adams, PRESBYTERIAN AND REFORMED PUBL. (1972)

Length of Loan: Free to a good home, I have 3 copies :) : you are welcome to keep this book; let me know where you are and I'll find out the cost of shipping
Condition: exterior- worn cover without tearing and creasing only where the cover meets the spine; interior is crisp and unmarked- good condition inside!
Without starting a debate, I want to offer some disclaimer: I have no disagreement with the main of Dr. Adams' approach to counseling/psychology. I do, however, take large issue with his view on children in worship and Sabbath observance. He departs from historic Christianity on these topics though none are raised in this volume as I remember. I am unsure of Dr. Adams stance on divorce/remarriage but I remember having some issue with it. Please read with discretion and refer to the WCF on the matter for Biblical guidance on the subject.

Last edited:
I hope I have not erred in saying this, but I believe he allows for divorce/remarriage with some broad discretion in what is "irreconcilable." I don't think I am out of line with what he says or intends but am open to hear otherwise.

I hope I have not erred in saying this, but I believe he allows for divorce/remarriage with some broad discretion in what is "irreconcilable." I don't think I am out of line with what he says or intends but am open to hear otherwise.
It's been several years since I've read it, but it seems he only held the usual two exceptions (along with the WCF), adultery and desertion. I'll have to see if I can go back and find that. Not at the top of my list. ;)

Thanks for the heads up!

Yes, it has been a bit in my case as well as to what I've read. I'll alter my disclaimer above to that end. I am unsure where Dr. Adams lands on the issue or scenarios he argues. Please note that my disclaimer entails some "dust on the brain" as to exactly what Adams says. Let me only say that IF Dr. Adams advocates anything but the Biblical/WCF position of divorce/remarriage, then I disclaim it. Else, disregard my disclaimer.

Joshua:

You are right. Adams holds to the legitimacy of divorce for the innocent party in case of adultery and the abandoned party in the case of desertion. He allows for some leeway in determining the latter on the part of ecclesiastical or civil authorities. That is hardly a novelty in Reformed circles, however.

It is the case that in recent years, he has published views on the Lord's Day that are clearly unconfessional. I am unaware of his position on "children in worship." All this is to say that while there are things that I disagree with in Competent to Counsel, it was not because Adams was being, as far as I can recall, unconfessional.

Peace,
Alan

Hi! Thanks so much for the offer. I would LOVE a copy! I've been wanting to read Jay Adams. My zip is 95490 in California. Should I email/PM my address? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back