Compiling Commentary Want List

Status
Not open for further replies.

O'GodHowGreatThouArt

Puritan Board Sophomore
Afternoon all.

I'm compiling a commentary want list that consists of the best commentary that can be bought for each book of scripture. Based on limited research I've done thus far, I've found the following:

Proverb
  • Bruce Waltke - The Book of Proverbs (2 Volumes)
Hebrews
  • John Owen - An Exposition of the Epistle to the Hebrews (7 Volumes)
Revelation
  • Gregory K. Beale - The Book of Revelation (New International Greek Testament Commentary)

I'd like to get together a list for the remainder of the books found in Scripture. Does anyone have recommendations for them?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Waltke, isn't he the biologos guy?

Also, Charles Bridges is far better than Waltke. :)

Revelation, I might suggest Hendriksen's "More Than Conquerors" or Douglas Kelly's new commentary on it.

Dale Ralph Davis for Joshua, Judges, 1/2 Samuel, 1/2 Kings is the best by far and no one can argue with that!!!

JC Ryle Expository thoughts on Matthew/Mark/Luke/John is handy.

Lloyd-Jones on Ephesians is classic (multivolume of his sermons)...

Also, it may help if you tell us what kind of commentaries are you looking for? Ones that go deep into the exegesis/languages? Ones that are pastoral/practical or a mix of both?

I think there is a link somewhere on the site, to a long list compiled by Green baggins (might have got name wrong).

I think there is a link somewhere on the site, to a long list compiled by Green baggins (might have got name wrong).

That's a list I used initially, but kept running into areas where there were 3-5 commentaries at the top. I'm trying to isolate it down to one since I may be running thin financially for quite some time in a couple months.

This book is worth it's weight in gold for getting a scholar's opinion on the vast majority of commentaries out there:

New Testament Commentary Survey: D. A. Carson: 9780801031243: Amazon.com: Books

There's also one for the OT that I've never used, but has the same concept/ approach.

Some of my top picks

Mark: R T France (NIGTC)

John: Leon Morris (NICNT)

Romans: Douglas Moo (NICNT)

Ephesians: Harold Hoehner

Pastorals: George Knight (NIGTC)

Hebrews: Philip Edgcumbe Hughes

Revelation: Beale & to a lesser degree, Hendrikson's More Than Conquerers

Obviously there's a ton of others, but those are some of my tried and true favorites.

Don Carson on John

Charles Bridges on Proverbs (and Psalm 119 for that matter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back