Complaint filed against PCA Metro NY Presbytery (Deaconesses)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears today the New York Metro presbytery of the PCA met and rescinded their previous resolution allowing refusal to ordain and install deacons, electing 'deaconess' to office, etc. (rescinded the resolution that violated their vows, polity, and confession).

This is very good news.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Please, God's people, continue to pray.

It appears today the New York Metro presbytery of the PCA met and rescinded their previous resolution allowing refusal to ordain and install deacons, electing 'deaconess' to office, etc. (rescinded the resolution that violated their vows, polity, and confession).

This is very good news.

That would be good news if it indicates a true change of heart.

Not so good if it is merely tactical repositioning.

I'll withhold judgment for now.

This is very good news.

Your point is true, but I prefer to assume the best about my Brothers. Praise God! :)

This is very good news.

There's no "if."

This is reason to be thankful to our God, and thankful toward these brothers.

It took humility and courage to do this.

As we pray for humility, submission to the brethren, and charity all around, let's now pray especially for encouragement for our brothers who have done the right thing (and quickly and by large majority, I might add), ask God's wisdom and blessing for them on their way forward.

If the knowledge is public, did a majority of Redeemer's delegates vote with the majority? I'm not sure what percentage Redeemer's Elders are in relationship with the other churches in that Presbytery.

It's more than appearance - It was the fact of the matter

I'm glad they did this for unity's sake and to avoid the appearance of playing word games with the BCO.

Mason,

It wasn't the "appearance" of doing so - it was the bold act of in-your-face actually doing so. Acknowledging that is part of the heart felt repentence that Edward mentioned he was looking for - not a tactical ploy for appearances sake. I prefer, at this point, to take yestersday's Rescision action at face value, assume the best of motives, and praise the Lord for it!

What will be interesting to watch now is the other Prebyteries who passed copy cat resolutions: Metro Atlanta just in the last couple of weeks, N. Calif, and - I think - Philly. Will these Presbyteries reconsider and rescind following Metro NY's lead, as they followed it early passing essentially the same resolution? Or will they be left out on a limb now that Metro NY has recanted the resolution? Time will tell.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
LOTS of popcorn.

Below is the request for "amends," in the complaint. We have every reason to be thankful and welcoming of our brothers here. They acted quickly and decisively.

Yes, a few churches will need to make some good faith changes to their practices from here, but we must be charitable toward our brothers here. (Remember not all churches in the presbytery were failing in this, not all elders in a particular church failed in this, and remember also it is elders of this presbytery who brought this complaint).

One of the things that would be quite profitable to have come out of this is teaching and sermons on the doctrine of ordination, the nature of vows, and the significance of congregations receiving officers whom God has appointed for them. Also, a structure which will facilitate the doing of more mercy ministry with Deacons fulfilling their part in leading in this, and encouraging God's people generally in growing more in this (mercy ministry).

No one likes being in this position. Repentance is a wonderful thing, a true sign of the Spirit's work in our life, so let's not make it more difficult.

This is about the peace and purity of Christ's church, it is not about about anyone having to prove something to anyone to disprove their cynicism.:)

Amends

Wherefore, in consideration of the foregoing, each complainant hereby requests the following amends, such requests to be considered jointly and severally (i.e. together and as separate remedies):

1. That the New York Metropolitan Presbytery nullify, rescind, annul and/or retract the resolutions concerning diaconal ministry passed at its March 13, 2009 meeting;

2. That the New York Metropolitan Presbytery affirmatively adopt, by written resolution, a statement rejecting views 5 and 6 contained in such resolutions as contrary to the system of government required by the Constitution of the PCA;

3. That the New York Metropolitan Presbytery request each Session within its jurisdiction to evaluate the functioning of its Diaconate with respect to conformity to the Constitution of the PCA, particularly with respect to violations exemplified in the current practice of views 5 and 6 in the aforementioned resolutions; and

4. That the New York Metropolitan Presbytery direct churches within its jurisdiction that are in continuing violation of the Constitution through the practices reflected in views 5 and 6 to move into full conformity with the Constitution of the PCA in this matter by rejecting such practices and that the New York Metropolitan Presbytery offer assistance to sessions regarding the difficulties that may arise in the process of bringing their diaconal practices into full conformity with the Constitution of the PCA.

Does that mean that amends 2-4 were rejected?

Complete information on this has not come out yet.

My understanding is the Presbytery met quickly and with a good turnout decisively rescinded, retracted the resolution.

Remember, the original complaint also alleged that this resolution, being of great magnitude was not properly noticed for voting, not properly debated, and that very few presbyters actually voted. It alleged presbytery procedure was not properly followed.

I don't understand this to have been the presbytery judicial commission granting amends of the complaint, only that, before that, presbytery met and quickly redressed the substance of point 1, and am not sure the status of 2-4.

Thanks to all who have replied today to my most recent post. I pray that you all are correct, but I'll wait and see what happens in Orlando in a few weeks.

This is wonderful news! I had the chance to share this with Dr. George Knight III of the OPC (WONDERFUL man! It's truly a pleasure to know him), and he was truly pleased at the news. My wife, who attended a church in the Metro-NY Presbytery, was also glad to hear this news.

One thing that Dr. Knight mentioned we should pray for is that the men in the PCA (and OPC) will follow scripture without fear in this matter, and also that we are able to encourage our women that while these roles (elder/deacon) and biblically reserved for men alone, we truly do want women to use their gifts in the church in a biblical way.

This is wonderful news! I had the chance to share this with Dr. George Knight III of the OPC (WONDERFUL man! It's truly a pleasure to know him), and he was truly pleased at the news. My wife, who attended a church in the Metro-NY Presbytery, was also glad to hear this news.

One thing that Dr. Knight mentioned we should pray for is that the men in the PCA (and OPC) will follow scripture without fear in this matter, and also that we are able to encourage our women that while these roles (elder/deacon) and biblically reserved for men alone, we truly do want women to use their gifts in the church in a biblical way.

Absolutely, Henry.

The immediate concern here is keeping vows, confession and the church's polity. Each of these reflects doctrine and is basis for the peace, purity and unity of the church. The doctrine of ordination, the biblical nature of vows, the doctrine of church government, the nature of congregations receiving the leaders who God has appointed and they have confirmed. That's why this is of such immediate concern. Our officers have taken vows to receive and uphold this.

Consider this part of the vows pastors take:
BCO 21-4

6. Do you promise to be zealous and faithful in maintaining the truths of the Gospel and the purity and peace and unity of the Church, whatever persecution or opposition may arise unto you on that account?

One of the things God may use this to bring out is more teaching of these important doctrines. That those doctrines are taught from the pulpit so members will understand them. They are part of what we "confess" as a church. If that happens, it will be more difficult for something like this to happen again in the future, because even congregation members will know something is not right and use the processes our system affords to object.

It's also very important to understand and have taught that "mercy" is not only for officers, but a way of life for every believer. It does not require an office, title, or even recognition. It is rewarded spiritually, and that is something every believer ought seek, particularly as they grow in Christ.

Let's continue praying, there is more that needs to happen (and I believe it will). It's not easy to admit one is wrong and then suffer through making it right- yet that is what God asks of us. Officers, particularly are chosen for exemplifying a life that models this. We have a right to expect to see that here because of the vows and the qualifications for officers.

We also need to be available to help these brothers as some will need to see how to set up their polity in this area. Perhaps God will also see fit to use these circumstances to bring out more effective biblical structures to do more mercy.

Remember, our polity, which we confess is biblical doctrine is:

Elders and deacons govern the local church.

They are qualified by I Timothy 3 and Titus 1 (men, exemplary life). They are examined for comprehensive Bible knowledge, and comprehensive knowledge of and agreement with our standards as a summary of the doctrine of Scripture. They are tested for calling and giftedness. If married, the officer's wife is also examined.

They are elected by the congregation, ordained and installed.

The congregation, in choosing and confirming their officers, receives their leaders as "agreeable to the Word of God." This is a formal receiving, a sermon directed toward that charge, and the vows the congregation takes in receiving them, is really a part of worship.

Unordained men and women are involved in delivering mercy in an individual capacity, as part of ministry groups, and as appointees by the Session to assist the deacons. None of that infringes on the duties and powers of the governing officers (deacons and elders) nor does it confuse it.

That's our polity. It's a good one. It's biblical.

Last edited:
Westminster Larger Catechism

Question 28: What are the punishments of sin in this world?

Answer: The punishments of sin in this world are either inward, as blindness of mind, a reprobate sense, strong delusions, hardness of heart, horror of conscience, and vile affections; or outward, as the curse of God upon the creatures for our sakes, and all other evils that befall us in our bodies,names, estates, relations, and employments; together with death itself.

We are all prone to be blinded by sin.

Officers (Deacons and Elders) are held to a higher standard because to whom much is given, much is required. They are chosen for having certain qualifications, including an exemplary life and so are chosen for having lives characterized by faith and repentance... willing to suffer for Christ's sake to make things right.

Often, an ordination and installation sermon is directed toward the seriousness of the call to office and to the congregation in receiving them as officers of Christ's Church.

I do believe and expect officers to care about their vows, the polity they confess, their example of humility to others, their obedience to lawfull authority, their submission to the brethren, their connectional relationship with others, and avoiding even the appearance of evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back