Comprehensive Review of Aimee Byrd's Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvdm

Puritan Board Junior
An OPC minister has recently provided a thorough review of each of Byrd's books and gives a final summary. And he calls out the church officers who have promoted her more recent works and failed to disciple her to repentance. I would add that in the meantime, she continues to slander the denomination she is leaving.

"My concern is that the writings of Mrs. Byrd have gradually drifted from helpful, orthodox, and godly, to harmful, heterodox, and worldly."

Bump. This issue needs more attention for sure. May the Lord lead her to repentance.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

An OPC minister has recently provided a thorough review of each of Byrd's books and gives a final summary. And he calls out the church officers who have promoted her more recent works and failed to disciple her to repentance. I would add that in the meantime, she continues to slander the denomination she is leaving.

"My concern is that the writings of Mrs. Byrd have gradually drifted from helpful, orthodox, and godly, to harmful, heterodox, and worldly."

Thank you for the heads up. Are you able to sum up what is harmful, heterodox, and worldly about her? I'm just curious to be basically equipped in case she ever comes up in conversation and I have to warn someone.

Jean, I really haven't followed this much, but I found this:

https://aimeebyrd.com/2021/10/22/leaving-the-opc/
Victor
Thank you for sharing the link. Very disturbing.
The link you shared shows that she made the whole matter all about her.
I hear her saying that she was misunderstood but, I do not hear her saying how she was misunderstood.
I do not read her and find an appeal to the clear teaching of the Bible.
"The process in seeking help made me feel less like a part of the household of God, less like a sister in Christ, and less like a gift." Poor me, it is all about me.

"'I hope and pray that publishing in biblical studies will become more diverse. Historically, the discipline has been dominated by white men (please understand that I have nothing against white men; many of my best friends among authors are white guys), but this must change…Zondervan Academic has made this commitment and, as our friendly competitors do so as well, we will begin to see the tide change for the better (emphasis original).'"

If it's diversity they want, has it ever occurred to these people that I, a white male, have much more in common with an Anthony Bradley than a John Calvin? We at least share the same world. To say nothing of an Augustine.

Why is diversity so... skin-deep to some people?

Last edited:
Why does this thread keep fading in and out of the front page? I have to sift through my browser history just to get back to it

When the General Assembly has to instruct a Presbytery to apologize to her because they allowed reviling language to be used about her on the floor it's not laughable to think that she may have been the victim of abusive behavior.
Seconded. This fact is not mutually exclusive with the reality of her theological drift and does need to be included in the discussion.

I have had threads do this to me in the past, I think. Not sure why.
If you use “New Posts” to refresh, posts that you’ve read disappear until a new post comes up.

“What’s New” shows all of the active threads in chronological order.

Thanks for this link. I recommend reading through the entire series of book reviews if one has the time. I'm impressed that he took the time to thoughtfully review all her published work.

Seconded. This fact is not mutually exclusive with the reality of her theological drift and does need to be included in the discussion.
I see Zach's message was deleted, but the "reviling language" in question was calling her a wolf, and I have a hard time seeing how that is not an accurate descriptor of someone who remained in the OPC with heterodox teaching, attempting to spread it among the laity through books and conferences, and has since left for more feminist waters. She is a wolf, and that so many coals were heaped on Rev. Spangler's head because he was willing to point that out is a real embarrassment.

I see Zach's message was deleted, but the "reviling language" in question was calling her a wolf, and I have a hard time seeing how that is not an accurate descriptor of someone who remained in the OPC with heterodox teaching, attempting to spread it among the laity through books and conferences, and has since left for more feminist waters. She is a wolf, and that so many coals were heaped on Rev. Spangler's head because he was willing to point that out is a real embarrassment.
I should note that I deleted my post not because I don't stand by it but by request of the person whose post I originally quoted, who wished their post to be deleted.

It should be noted that Mrs. Byrd was never charged with any offense, sin, or false teaching, let alone convicted of such, and that Mr. Spangler was tried and convicted by his Presbytery for his sin, at least in part for calling her a wolf. Such language should not be used about her and shouldn't be posted or tolerated on the Puritan Board.

By that narrow logic, would the minister who authored the articles in the OP have to wait for charges and/or conviction before characterizing her writings as "harmful, heterodox, and worldly." ?

I should note that I deleted my post not because I don't stand by it but by request of the person whose post I originally quoted, who wished their post to be deleted.

It should be noted that Mrs. Byrd was never charged with any offense, sin, or false teaching, let alone convicted of such, and that Mr. Spangler was tried and convicted by his Presbytery for his sin, at least in part for calling her a wolf. Such language should not be used about her and shouldn't be posted or tolerated on the Puritan Board.
I'm sure you'd join me in condemning Machen then, who was defrocked by the courts of the Presbyterian Church, and in exonerating Peter Leithart of federal visionism, as the presbytery of the northwest did. We have no right to disagree with the courts of the church, after all.

Moderation....

Let’s keep this thread on the topic of the reviews and not derail into church polity.

This is a very strange measure. You do not find any false teaching or feminist theology in her (especially latter) works?

By that narrow logic, would the minister who authored the articles in the OP have to wait for charges and/or conviction before characterizing her writings as "harmful, heterodox, and worldly." ?
I didn't say that. Rev. Myers is free to engage in substantive criticism of her work and draw his own personal conclusions about Mrs. Byrd's work. But calling her a wolf is a judgment about Mrs. Byrd and her standing in the Kingdom, something that is entirely different. In the interest of following the Moderator's comment about not derailing the thread with the subject of polity I won't say more than that.

This is a very strange measure. You do not find any false teaching or feminist theology in her (especially latter) works?
I haven't read Mrs. Byrd's books and I am not interested in defending what Mrs. Byrd has written. My point is simply that those with such substantive concerns did not ever file charges against her to prove their allegations in the courts of the church, something they ought to have done if they seriously thought she was a false teacher. It also means that we should refrain from speaking about Mrs. Byrd as if the church has passed judgment on her and her work.

I haven't read Mrs. Byrd's books and I am not interested in defending what Mrs. Byrd has written. My point is simply that those with such substantive concerns did not ever file charges against her to prove their allegations in the courts of the church, something they ought to have done if they seriously thought she was a false teacher. It also means that we should refrain from speaking about Mrs. Byrd as if the church has passed judgment on her and her work.

I see. I must have missed the context of your statements due to gaps in the thread. You are speaking to the being called a wolf issue. Frankly I haven't followed that.

But her works and words merit serious alarm. In some quarters calling attention to it is seen as out of bounds. Which baffles me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back