Computer Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I have tried NUMEROUS times to install the Microsoft Windows upgrade, and my Lenovo laptop keeps rebelling. (The machine keeps trying to do this automatically.)

I get this message: "the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_RECOVERY_ENVIRONMENT operation."

Naturally, I don't have the faintest idea what that means.

Any help?

Are you upgrading from 8 to 10? There are probably at least fifty scenarios. Probably the first thing I'd check is to see how much free disk space you have. Delete your recycle bin, run disk cleanup, etc.

When MS runs an upgrade, often you end up with huge temporary files that might cause things to stop if there isn't enough room. I never upgraded my Win 7 laptop (with 128 GB SSD) because I would have had to uninstall my most used applications.

Other problems might be outdated drivers, antivirus interference, even plugged vent holes leading to overheating.

What processor do you have and how old is the machine? And, now that I think of it, which Windows? Some of the recent MS updates can cause major problems with certain machines.

If it is a Lenovo Yoga 2 they will fail when attempting to install the Creators Update 10 of Windows. I have one and that is due to the machine's not being compatible with the latests Windows update. You should check some of the Lenovo discussion forums for more details.

That said, my Lenovo W520 upgraded without a hitch.

What processor do you have and how old is the machine? And, now that I think of it, which Windows? Some of the recent MS updates can cause major problems with certain machines.

Processor is: AMD A6 4400M APV with Radeon HD Graphics 2.70 GHz. My Lenovo laptop is from 2013.

It's Windows 10, Version 1607.

Last edited:
2013 AMD A6 is probably one of the processors that won't work with the current Windows updates. I certainly wouldn't try to force the update. And as I recall, Win10 won't let you disable updates. But the update may render your computer unbootable.

"Windows operating system security update block for some AMD based devices"
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...urity-update-block-for-some-amd-based-devices

Well, I don't have to try to force the update. The machine is now to the point where it tries to update automatically several times a day, which I don't know how to turn off. It's driving me nuts - a short drive, by the way.

Go into the settings for updates and change it to not update automatically. I think you can even stop it from automatically checking for updates.

If I don't want my 9-10 year old Windows 7 PC to update this change, because of the hit on performance it no doubt will get, is it the latest January roll up update I need to avoid that is sitting there bugging me to install?
Go into the settings for updates and change it to not update automatically. I think you can even stop it from automatically checking for updates.

I recall now that home users can discourage Win10 updates by telling it you have a metered internet connection. Those with upgraded versions may have more control.

I recall now that home users can discourage Win10 updates by telling it you have a metered internet connection.
Yes!
Living in the Majority World, with our internet acquired by means of prepaid, scratch-off "top-up" cards, we were confounded by the drain on our web access - until we learned this lesson and set our laptops to "metered connection." Apparently, Windows 10, as a web-based OS, is constantly updating. Applying this setting stops all unauthorized updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back