Concerning Same-sex marriage and Abortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minh

Puritan Board Freshman
How would you response to a professed Christian when he claims that we should allow disagreements on moral issues such as abortion or same-sex marriage since they are "secondary" or "non-salvific" issues?

Last edited:
How would you response to a professed Christian when he claims that we should allow disagreements on moral issues such as abortion or same-sex marriage since they are "secondary" or "non-salvific" doctrine?

Could you please define "allow disagreements"?

Regardless, if someone tells me they are a Christian, practicing homosexual, and are fine with abortion being a choice in some scenarios, I will call them out as not living in accordance with the commands of the Christ they claim to serve. They are living in sin and refuse to seek repentance.

This is not secondary. I'm curious as to what they would say is primary.. just loving Jesus? If you love Him you'll keep His commandments.

Could you please define "allow disagreements"?

I mean one can disagree whether homosexuality or abortion is sinful according to Scripture, without practicing it. When I discuss issues like this, people insist on focusing and defending the Gospel instead of being divisive on "minor" issues.

Last edited:
I mean one can disagree whether homosexuality or abortion is sinful according to Scripture, without practicing it. When I discuss issues like this, people insist on focusing and defending the Gospel instead of being divisive on "minor" issues.
The gospel is about the Groom cleansing and caring for his Bride. Scripture directly links marriage as a symbol of the gospel. Homosexuality is a flagrant and fundamental attack on the gospel.

Childbirth is a blessing from the Lord and in fact Eve is told that women will be redeemed through childbirth. Intentionally killing our young is an attack on something that also points to the gospel which is about being reborn (Think nicodemus ) and new life. Again in abortion, we have an attack on the gospel. Jesus himself gives high curses for those who cause little ones to stumble, how much more vicious do you think Christ feels toward those who intentionally kill children in the womb.

Marriage and Life Promotion are both “Majors”. This should be without question when we see how God deals with abominations of either.

Last edited:
Homosexuality is a flagrant and fundamental attack on the gospel.
I’d say homosexuality is an attack on the Law. The Gospel is an attack on homosexuality by redeeming the believer and breaking his bondage to sin.

If this is a real conversation you're having (i.e., not merely a hypothetical for the sake of discussion here), then aside from asserting their blatant error regarding the supposed "secondary" nature of these things, I would ask this person these questions:

1) What does "secondary" even mean?
2) Is the issue of adultery "secondary"? Theft? Murder? Bearing false witness?
3) If the answer to #2 is "No," what is the logical difference that makes abortion and sodomy "secondary," but adultery, theft, murder, and false witness not secondary?
4) If the thesis that abortion and sodomy are "secondary" is still asserted after all this, why is this conclusion not arbitrary?
5) If the thesis is indeed arbitrary, then how is it true?

If this is a real conversation you're having (i.e., not merely a hypothetical for the sake of discussion here)

It was a real conversation (though online). On the online discussion I encounter, the OP was concerned about the issue of abortion in the PCUSA before seeking membership in it. One person replied this way:
I would caution against thinking that these are "essential topics" of the Christian faith. The essence of the Christian faith is the good new of the gospel that Jesus is Lord. Abortion and sexual ethics are certainly important, but they don't strike at the heart of the gospel.

Last edited:
One person replied this way:

"I would caution against thinking that these are "essential topics" of the Christian faith. The essence of the Christian faith is the good new of the gospel that Jesus is Lord. Abortion and sexual ethics are certainly important, but they don't strike at the heart of the gospel."

That is utter and complete nonsense, hogwash, and—frankly—a bunch of bull. "Jesus is Lord," but his commandments are secondary. "Jesus is Lord," but murder in the womb is a matter of debate. "Jesus is Lord," but a direct violation of his design for marriage and sex is something we can tolerate being preached from the pulpit.

At the risk of sounding harsh, any professing Christian who says such things is either a fool, a hypocrite, unregenerate, or all three.

That is utter and complete nonsense, hogwash, and—frankly—a bunch of bull. "Jesus is Lord," but his commandments are secondary. "Jesus is Lord," but murder in the womb is a matter of debate. "Jesus is Lord," but a direct violation of his design for marriage and sex is something we can tolerate being preached from the pulpit.

At the risk of sounding harsh, any professing Christian who says such things is either a fool, a hypocrite, unregenerate, or all three.

I agree with this^

Their reasoning makes no sense. If Jesus is Lord, then his commandments hold weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back