Conscious Agent Theory Proves God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EuphratesRiver

Puritan Board Freshman
This is a very sensitive topic for some to further investigate, but in the progress of modern science, scientists in the study of the human cognition and cognitive psychology have begun to explore the question of 'what is consciousness?" and "where does it spring from?" Dr. Donald Hoffman is a professor in the Department of Cognitive Sciences at the University of California, Irvine, with joint appointments in the Department of Philosophy, the Department of Logic and Philosophy of Science, and the School of Computer Science. He has explored the conception of and our interaction with reality and consciousness, and has been one of the few in recent times to better understand both. Now, from what I have watched and read, Dr. Hoffman isn't really your conservative creationist in the traditional sense, let alone a Christian. However, in this field of study, he draws certain conclusions that there may possibly be a single "Consciousness" from which all existing consciousness has arisen from, interacting with these "sub-consciousness." He also discusses our perception of reality and how, from an Darwin evolutionary standpoint of adaptation for survival, what we see isn't exactly what is truly there. This is something hard for many Christians to entertain as an idea, but to consider that side of the argument may help us better understand this delicate subject. It seems that, though this is presented from a secular academic standpoint, nonetheless is providing evidence that modern science is drawing closer to hitting a "wall" at its farthest limits, and demonstrating, from an secular viewpoint, that God may be undeniable to secular science. Please watch the follow videos in order, and comment your reaction or response to this subject. I take this subject very serious, and I hope you will show the respect to do the same. I am interested in what you may have to share regarding this subject. The name of the videos is a little misleading, Dr. Hoffman isn't truly denying reality, but sees our interaction with reality to be biologically a product of evolution adaptation to survive.

Do We See Reality As It Is?

The Case Against Reality

This was a very interesting interview with Dr. Hoffman:

Interview

How does this relate to creationism? Sure, Dr. Donald Hoffman is attempting to approach this as non-physicalist monism (that everything is conscious), as opposed to a dualism (consciousness acting upon non-conscious existence). However, I am seeing this theory, in the dualistic approach, proved in a precise mathematical discovery, in the following verses:

"In him we live and move and have our being." - Acts 17:28

"In his hands is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind." - Job 12:10

"For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever. Amen" - Romans 11:36

And finally, this beautiful verse:

"...one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist." - 1 Corinthians 8:6

The idea that the Spirit of God indwells creation is not novel, but is embedded in Scripture as a fundamental truth of our reality. Yes, we often talk about the personal indwelling of the Spirit of God in a believer in Christ, but it has been always taught that the Spirit (and therefore God) is essentially immanent: that he is very present in creation, though distinct from creation. The doctrine of divine immanence is the fundamental truth between the two false extremes of pantheism and deism. According to this Conscious Agent Theory, if approached in a dualistic viewpoint, naturally affirms God's transcendence, existing outside of time and space in which Hoffman calls an "interface" in which we understand the world in a simplistic manner.

I feel as though I am one of the only people exploring this theory in a biblically consistent manner, and I hope that other studious minds will follow suit. Hoffman knows that this theory, if proven mathematically and demonstrated (in which he doesn't yet know how), may eventually force "modern science" to affirm Theism (to some general extent). This is a very big deal and no one is paying attention to my despair! Please watch the last video, at least, to understand a little bit about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back