conservative RCA churches shifting to PCA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Bethel joined in the first half of the 1990s. I know only Monsey Christian Church (formerly Monsey CRC) in Monsey New York. Do you know more?

It would be later than that. The pastor of the CRC church was the fraternal delegate for the CRC to the 1995 PCA GA. The first Wayback Machine capture of the PCA labeled web page was March 2005. So sometime in that 10 year period.

Not sure which of the 'Peace' EPC churches in Michigan you were referencing, so I can't research that issue.

No thanks. I don't have the time these days, and in scanning the index, it appears that some of the material would have no relevance for me.

What do you think there will be other conservative RCA churches affiliating with the PCA?

Not an area where I have devoted much effort. One would need to analyze the individual church and its officers to see what their views are, whether they are inward or outward looking, the size of the congregation, and look at the classiss they are leaving and the presbytery which they would be joining. Indeed, there might be some that would find the EPC a better fit than the PCA. I would think the actions by a well respected church would at least get other churches to look at their options.

Indeed, there might be some that would find the EPC a better fit than the PCA.
I think the EPC is not a good choice. The EPC become very heterogenous group. With conservatives and liberals, charismatics and Arminians.

Calvinbezza,

Let's try this a different way. In your opinion, what other options would a conservative RCA congregation have if it wanted to leave the liberal RCA but . . .

* be part of a fellowship that still held to Reformed confessional standards.
* be part of a denomination with more than a few hundred churches (to facilitate the sense of familiarity with what they had been used to in the RCA).
* be part of a denomination that is conservative without being perceived to be insular or ingrown.

You throw up impediments of seminaries (even though any departure from the RCA would involve different denominational seminaries), culture (but what conservative denomination of a similar size would have a Dutch culture?), broad ecumenical affiliation (but isn't that one of the reasons why the congregations are seeking to leave the RCA?), and differences of confessional subscription (but are there ANY conservative TFU denominations that meet the first three criteria listed above?).

Changing denominational families is NEVER easy, whether for a congregation or for an individual. ANY change will bring adjustment pains. However, much as a person trying to select a church in a community that does not have a congregation of one's denominational preference, congregations must consider a variety of criteria and make the most satisficing decision from among the options available.

The EPC become very heterogenous group.

Well, the RCA apparently is, as well. Those who followed the party line on the role of women might consider the EPC as the RCA continues its downward spiral.

Fifth RCA Seminaries versus Covenant Seminary

I had meant to address this earlier. Most of the PCA pastors don't come from Covenant. The Reformed campuses are heavily represented; the two Westminsters, too many from Dallas Seminary, a few from PCA congregation - started seminaries (Knox, Redeemer, New Geneva (although I suppose Reformed could technically go on that list, as well)), a few (mainly older guys) from what are now PCUSA seminaries, and a scattering from other Seminaries including Gordon-Conwell ( Kevin DeYoung (can go on that list), Greenville, and others. (Including Southern Baptist)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back