Consider This Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnpreacher

Puritan Board Junior
John Durant

II Samuel 1:26, "I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women."

Tremble to think that you should ever sin against Christ, who loves you so much. View your sins in the light of your Savior's love; and when you see the transcendency of that love which is in His bosom towards you, then sit down and bleed to behold your great sinning against Him. Then indeed has transcendent love a sweet working upon your spirit, when the thoughts of it ccan make you mourn for your sins. How sweetly did love work upon that woman (who was a sinner) when she tasted the transcendent love of her Savior? The sight of the great love which was in His bosom towards her made her sit at His feet, and weep bitterly at the thoughts of her sins....And though nothing in the world can melt the heart for sin, yet the thoughts of the love of Christ will. Well, believers, let it then have such working in your bosoms. O let his transcendent love (which you may read written with the blood of His heart) dissolve your adamantine heart. And let it make you mourn for your sins greatly. "They shall see Him whom they have pierced and mourn" (Zech 12:10). Why (believers) do you see Him whom you have pierced with your sins? Do you not mourn, especially when you see Him in the light of love? I say no more but this, either you have not tasted this transcendent love of Christ, or else you spirits are very much hardened, if the sense and thoughts of these do not cause you to mourn for sin. Therefore let this word of exhortation sink deeply into your hearts; weep, and weep tears of blood, to think that ever you should sin against Jesus Christ, who has written by His own blood this truth, that He loves you with a love passing knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back