Contemplating the glory of the creator on the Sabbath (B. M. Palmer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
It is a fact now distinctly recognized by the Christian world, that God did cease from the work of creation at the close of the sixth day, and did thus consecrate the seventh as a holy rest to man. Even the light labours of Paradise, which never brought fatigue, were, on this day, remitted; and man's constant worship became more emphatic and devout as, on this day, he contemplated the glory of the Creator in the glory of His works.

[Benjamin Morgan Palmer], ‘Pastoral Letter on the Observance of the Sabbath, to the Churches and Church members within the Synod of South Carolina’ in Minutes of the Synod of South Carolina, at their Sessions, in Winnsborough, Fairfield District, S.C., Nov. 1851 (Columbia SC: A. S. Johnston, 1852), pp 64-65.

I find Rev. Palmer's works often very eloquently describe situations and experiences that I know or will know, but he describes them in a way I could never imagine writing. More recently I have noticed the beauty of creation on the Sabbath. Thank you for sharing Daniel.

Another quotation from the same source:

There is no reasonable hope of rescuing the Sabbath from open profanation by the world, unless the Church shall be strenuous in its defence. The honest and unswerving convictions of pious men, must form the nucleus of a correct and powerful public sentiment, if it is ever created.

[Benjamin Morgan Palmer], ‘Pastoral Letter on the Observance of the Sabbath, to the Churches and Church members within the Synod of South Carolina’ in Minutes of the Synod of South Carolina, at their Sessions, in Winnsborough, Fairfield District, S.C., Nov. 1851 (Columbia SC: A. S. Johnston, 1852), p. 75.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back