Contemporary Christian Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2JC4life

Puritan Board Freshman
Not looking to discuss the merits (or lack thereof, depending on how you see it) of CCM, at least in this particular thread. ;)

I'm wondering if we might start a list of CCM artists with Reformed lyrics. I know that Caedmon's Call had some solid lyrics for a while. (I don't know if they do now or not; I haven't heard any of their newer stuff. I also don't recall if everything was, but I know there were a few standout songs.) All of the songs I really liked were written by Derek Webb, who has since gone solo. Surely there are others, though. Who else?

Hillsong.

Just kidding.

Shane and Shane. Their version of "Before the throne of God above" is awesome.

Steven Curtis Chapman is reformed, but most of his songs don't have much if any doctrinal content. They aren't likely to be objectionable, but they may not be what you are looking for.

Sovereign Grace music puts out a lot of good material, as do Keith & Kristyn Getty. Shai Linne is a rapper who is very Reformed in his lyrics (search for his albums Atonement and Storiez).

Steven Curtis Chapman is reformed

Really? I didn't know that. I think we have all of his albums up through about...2000-ish. I don't think we have anything newer than that, though.

Keep the suggestions coming, please. I would like to discover some "new" (to me) artists, and this seemed like a good starting point. :)

Shai Linne is really the only Christian music group I listen to. I'm sure there are more reformed Christian singers out there but I don't know them.

Don't know rap really here's an example

[video=youtube;K2r4ujFeuqk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2r4ujFeuqk[/video]

Steven Curtis Chapman is reformed, but most of his songs don't have much if any doctrinal content. They aren't likely to be objectionable, but they may not be what you are looking for.

Really? I had no idea! Different sources on the web say he's PCA. Coolio.

What style of rap is Shai Linne? Newer-style or older-style?

To make up a style name, I would say Story-telling rap. I don't know if that is old or new though :)

Vocal Union--not explicitly Reformed, but I've only heard one song that seemed to have non-Reformed theology(and that seemed to be an allusion to the negro spirituals of days past). They bill themselves as "progressive a cappela". They sing contemporary style, but without any instruments other than their voices(which they use to great effect--including vocal percussion. ;))

There is a British band called Iona not real big in the states because they are not marketed heavily by "Christian" record companies. Also, their songs tend to be long but lyrically there right on (In my humble opinion).

Someone else worth listening to is Neal Morse. He was the lead singer/songwriter of the band Spock's Beard before he became a Christian, since then he's left Spock's Beard and went solo. Again he is in the progressive genre and his songs have a tendency to be long (10 min - 20 min). This is another example of the "Christian" record companies shying away from talented musicians but I'll quit :deadhorse:

Shai Linne, Lecrae and the 116 Clique (named for Romans 1:16) are doctrinally sound rappers. I would say that they are heavily influenced by crunk (the word shows up in their lyrics, and a lot of the members are from the south).

The beats are simple, the wordplay is intricate, and the theology is dead on.

Hey! That's why Shai mentions 116 in one of his songs! I was trying to figure out what 116 meant! LOL!

-----Added 8/31/2009 at 01:01:20 EST-----

I'll have to check Lecrae and the 116 Clique out

i am addicted to the "atonement" by brother Shai
first time i heard it it made me weep

-----Added 8/31/2009 at 06:22:29 EST-----

Neal Morse denies the Trinity, though i do like his music

Waterdeep

So, just today on a different board someone asked "What's on your iPod?"

One of the responders linked to a song that reminded musically of a band I listened to in college from Kansas City called Waterdeep.

Now, I must admit that I haven't listened to them in years and really can't speak to whether or not they spend alot of time on doctrinal themes. But they are really good. The bands founder grew up Presbyterian, but I can't find any info on where he is now, though there is no doubt that this is a Christian Band.

Does anyone listen to Michael Card anymore? His music is bibically-based. Also Stuart Townend does some contemporary Christian music along with the hymns he writes.

David Ward (reformedpraise.org) has written a few songs in CCM style, and all of his stuff is solid.

-----Added 9/25/2009 at 09:25:30 EST-----

Another artist I really like whose music is pretty solid is Graham Kendrick. I haven't heard much of his music lately, but some of his from around 1999-2000 is very good.

Matthew Smith

I really like Matthew Smith. He takes Old Hymns and makes them sound contemporary. His rendition of "My Lord I Did Not Choose You" is my fav reformed song. You can sample at Welcome To MatthewSmith.us
I think he is associate with Indelible Grace also.:sing:

I would also recommend Indelible Grace and Matthew Smith. Indelible Grace does a lot of hymns in contemporary style, and they are incredible. Then, of course, there's always Jars of Clay.

Aaron Shust is actually PCA as far as I know
My Savior, My God is one song that he arranged whose lyrics come out of a song in the Trinity Hymnal called "I am not skilled to understand"
It's a great, reformed song!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back