Contemporary Theology Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Okay. Okay, you twisted my arm, so I put together two articles on Contemporary Theology. :lol:

Contemporary Theology is an interesting subject overall. It is historical theology that is really only about 100-50 years old. One day it will be "historical" theology, but now we have to call it contemporary theology, though I put it in the historical theology section of the site. (HERE)

The first is an overview (very simplistic) of trends in contemporary theology today. It covers:
Fundamentalism
Neo-orthodoxy
Pentecostalism
Evangelicalism
Neo-liberalism
Post-Vatican II Catholicism
Eastern Orthodox Theology
The Charismatic Movement
The Theology of Hope
Process Theology
Secular Theology
Theologies of Success
Liberation Theology
Third Wave Movement: The Vineyard Movement
Feminist Theology
Reconstructionist (Dominion) Theology
The New Age Movement
Creation Spirituality
Two Third-World Theological Directions

Check it out here:
http://www.apuritansmind.com/HistoricalTheology/McMahonContemporaryTheology.htm

The second is more about how to think about theology, and how the Post-modern church thinks about theology. It is here:

http://www.apuritansmind.com/HistoricalTheology/McMahonPostmodernChurch.htm

Enjoy!

Matt you skipped the Princeton guys, and the Southern Presbyterians in your historical theology series. Part 26: Contours in 19th and 20th Century Theology. No likey the Warfield? :(

Ian -

I had to be choosey in trends that changed, were major, or were different, otherwise I'd never get through it and I mine as well would write a book on it (which will happen eventually). I debated about including a whole host of people, but had to choose a path about contours in Christian thought rather than a comprehensive historical overview - otherwise, I'd just be naming names for 150 pages - there is just too much stuff.

Right. This did get me thinking about what significance those divines did play in those centuries. They seemed to had little influence on the church in some sense...

What a great list, Matt!:up:

What would we identify the Saddleback/Seeker group in? Is it relevant to the "volkskirche" during Hitler's rise? The idea that the church exists to "serve people". (I'm studying some Edmond Clowney on this now....)

Isn't it in the "pragmatism" catagory?

Plus, is it important to mention that none of these movements are good - right?

Robin

Robin,

The Saddleback/Seeker movement is a result of a mixture of Liberalism, Post-Modernism, and the Third Wave movement.

It defitienly caters to the masses, and theology for them has turned away from the transcendent to "self." (Which is classic Existentialism following Schliermacher.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back