Contemporary Theology Articles

Discussion in 'A Puritan's Mind Updates' started by C. Matthew McMahon, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C. Matthew McMahon

C. Matthew McMahon Christian Preacher

Okay. Okay, you twisted my arm, so I put together two articles on Contemporary Theology. :lol:

Contemporary Theology is an interesting subject overall. It is historical theology that is really only about 100-50 years old. One day it will be "historical" theology, but now we have to call it contemporary theology, though I put it in the historical theology section of the site. (HERE)

The first is an overview (very simplistic) of trends in contemporary theology today. It covers:
    Fundamentalism
    Neo-orthodoxy
    Pentecostalism
    Evangelicalism
    Neo-liberalism
    Post-Vatican II Catholicism
    Eastern Orthodox Theology
    The Charismatic Movement
    The Theology of Hope
    Process Theology
    Secular Theology
    Theologies of Success
    Liberation Theology
    Third Wave Movement: The Vineyard Movement
    Feminist Theology
    Reconstructionist (Dominion) Theology
    The New Age Movement
    Creation Spirituality
    Two Third-World Theological Directions

Check it out here:
    http://www.apuritansmind.com/HistoricalTheology/McMahonContemporaryTheology.htm

The second is more about how to think about theology, and how the Post-modern church thinks about theology. It is here:

http://www.apuritansmind.com/HistoricalTheology/McMahonPostmodernChurch.htm

Enjoy!

2. Ianterrell

Ianterrell Puritan Board Sophomore

Matt you skipped the Princeton guys, and the Southern Presbyterians in your historical theology series. Part 26: Contours in 19th and 20th Century Theology. No likey the Warfield? :(

3. C. Matthew McMahon

Ian -

I had to be choosey in trends that changed, were major, or were different, otherwise I'd never get through it and I mine as well would write a book on it (which will happen eventually). I debated about including a whole host of people, but had to choose a path about contours in Christian thought rather than a comprehensive historical overview - otherwise, I'd just be naming names for 150 pages - there is just too much stuff.

4. Ianterrell

Ianterrell Puritan Board Sophomore

Right. This did get me thinking about what significance those divines did play in those centuries. They seemed to had little influence on the church in some sense...

5. Robin

Robin Puritan Board Junior

What a great list, Matt!:up:

What would we identify the Saddleback/Seeker group in? Is it relevant to the "volkskirche" during Hitler's rise? The idea that the church exists to "serve people". (I'm studying some Edmond Clowney on this now....)

Isn't it in the "pragmatism" catagory?

Plus, is it important to mention that none of these movements are good - right?

Robin

6. C. Matthew McMahon

Robin,

The Saddleback/Seeker movement is a result of a mixture of Liberalism, Post-Modernism, and the Third Wave movement.

It defitienly caters to the masses, and theology for them has turned away from the transcendent to "self." (Which is classic Existentialism following Schliermacher.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.