Continental Reformed Denominations with Unrevised Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justified

Puritan Board Sophomore
I have two questions. Are there any denominations in the US that are continental Reformed and have as their standards the unrevised 3FU? Are there any such denominations that are also exclusive psalmody?

I'm familiar with the American revision of the Westminster, but not the 3FU. What was revised?

I have two questions. Are there any denominations in the US that are continental Reformed and have as their standards the unrevised 3FU? Are there any such denominations that are also exclusive psalmody?

It really depends on what you mean by "revised." The Three Forms of Unity have been revised here and there almost since they were written. If you're only referring to article 36, then, yes, there are churches that do not follow the course of the revisions made in 1905 by the Reformed Churches in the Netherlands and in 1958 by the Christian Reformed Church. Amongst them would be the Free Reformed Churches of North America. As far as I know, the FRCNA are almost entirely EP -- they may have a couple of "Scripture hymns."

It's a bit hard to call most Dutch churches exclusive psalmodists, because unlike the Scottish churches as such, they tend to have a few Scripture songs (and maybe the Apostle's Creed, perhaps once considered to be inspired) in addition to the Psalms. Even so, the vast majority of what is sung would be from the Psalter. This would include the FRC mentioned above, PRCA, NRC, and HNRC.

I'm not as sure about the state of modifications of Article 36.

It really depends on what you mean by "revised." The Three Forms of Unity have been revised here and there almost since they were written. If you're only referring to article 36, then, yes, there are churches that do not follow the course of the revisions made in 1905 by the Reformed Churches in the Netherlands and in 1958 by the Christian Reformed Church. Amongst them would be the Free Reformed Churches of North America. As far as I know, the FRCNA are almost entirely EP -- they may have a couple of "Scripture hymns."

Thank you. That was very helpful.

It's a bit hard to call most Dutch churches exclusive psalmodists, because unlike the Scottish churches as such, they tend to have a few Scripture songs (and maybe the Apostle's Creed, perhaps once considered to be inspired) in addition to the Psalms. Even so, the vast majority of what is sung would be from the Psalter. This would include the FRC mentioned above, PRCA, NRC, and HNRC.

In the FRCNA we have not modified Article 36 or any other part of the 3FoU.
Also, I would say that each congregation is EP. While we do have the 10 Commandments, Songs of Mary, Simeon, Zacharias, 12 Articles, and the Lord's Prayer availed in Article 69 of the Church order (1619), they are not generally employed. I for one would not use them in a constituted service. I know many other FRC ministers that would not either, though I do not speak for the whole FRCNA.

In the FRCNA we have not modified Article 36 or any other part of the 3FoU.
Also, I would say that each congregation is EP. While we do have the 10 Commandments, Songs of Mary, Simeon, Zacharias, 12 Articles, and the Lord's Prayer availed in Article 69 of the Church order (1619), they are not generally employed. I for one would not use them in a constituted service. I know many other FRC ministers that would not either, though I do not speak for the whole FRCNA.

Doesn't the FRCNA use organs?

Could the RCUS be added to this list too? I know that they use the 3 Forms of Unity as their doctrinal standards but not sure about their perspective re: the exclusive use of the Psalter

Could the RCUS be added to this list too? I know that they use the 3 Forms of Unity as their doctrinal standards but not sure about their perspective re: the exclusive use of the Psalter

The RCUS did not adopt the Belgic and Canons of Dordt until 1995, before which it only used the Heidelberg. The version of the Belgic they adopted was based on the CRC revision: http://www.rcus.org/belgic-confession-2011/

Also, they are not EP or even dominant psalmodists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back