Continuing revalation from the Spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Scibbe

Puritan Board Junior
I started back at the beginning of the WCF yesterday for some study and ran across a phrase that I had a question about. In Chapter 1 par. 6 about a quarter of the way down we find this:..."Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit or the traditions of men."

While this is clearly saying that nothing is to be added to Scripture I am not sure if it is within the bounds of the confession to believe that the Spirit continues to reveal things to men. Is it possible for God to still speak to people through the Spirit in a non-scriptural way?

:worms:

God reveals things to us all the time. Sins that may have been unknown to us, awareness of our surroundings (especially when we're about to get in the middle of a catastrophe such as a car accident).

When God reveals those things though, there is a basis in scripture for it. Protection of His People, conviction of sin, etc. I'm sure the WCF is referring to additions in scripture regarding "counsel" of God.

For example, the 5/21/2011 movement is asserting that God's people know when the end of the world is. Well, Scripture states the exact opposite, and that even the Son of God does not know when the day and hour of that event is. Mormonism is another huge example, where they claim that there was an additional revelation of Christ that is found in the Book of Mormon (which runs contrary to Scripture many times). I think it's things along this line that the WCF is warning against.

I seriously doubt the "fathers" of the Confession would say that the Holy Spirit would not give us revelations in which sin is revealed. It would run contrary to its task.

Yes there is a continuing revelation/prompting/guiding of the Spirit whereby we the people of God receive the call to the ministry or some other task, get guidance for decisions, get convicted over our personal sin etc...

However this is to be tested by scripture and is not equal to scripture and cannot be added to scripture.

I started back at the beginning of the WCF yesterday for some study and ran across a phrase that I had a question about. In Chapter 1 par. 6 about a quarter of the way down we find this:..."Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit or the traditions of men."

While this is clearly saying that nothing is to be added to Scripture I am not sure if it is within the bounds of the confession to believe that the Spirit continues to reveal things to men. Is it possible for God to still speak to people through the Spirit in a non-scriptural way?

:worms:

If you like John MacArthur, you'll love this sermon:

Does God Still Give Revelation? (6/16/1991)

I seriously doubt the "fathers" of the Confession would say that the Holy Spirit would not give us revelations in which sin is revealed. It would run contrary to its task.

How are we convicted, but by the Spirit speaking in the Word? What is that standard by which our understandings are illuminated and to which we compare our lives, expect that standard of the Word? Even when we speak of assurance, which is the work of the Spirit in our conscience, where do the propositions thereof come from if not from scripture? As Reformed Christians, we ought not separate the Spirit from his means.

Another poster referred to guidance in our decisions: but is this really an immediate acting of the Spirit upon us? Or is such guidance in fact the Spirit calling to mind his Word which we have heard, and by his power transforming us to receive and understand that word; and thereby helping us to better understand his providence in light of his Word?

I think if you quote the whole of I.6 the answer to the question becomes fairly clear.

The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for His own glory, man's salvation, faith, and life, is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men. Nevertheless we acknowledge the inward illumination of the Spirit of God to be necessary for the saving understanding of such things as are revealed in the Word: and that there are some circumstances concerning the worship of God, and government of the Church, common to human actions and societies, which are to be ordered by the light of nature and Christian prudence, according to the general rules of the Word, which are always to be observed.

All things necessary for His glory and our salvation, faith and life are contained in Scripture, either expressly or by valid implication. Unto that, nothing is to be added. Of course the enthusiasts of the time wanted to add to it from purported "new revelations of the Spirit" and the papists wanted to add to it from traditions of men; but the Assembly rejects both those suggested sources for supplementing the Scriptures. And if you consider the opening line, it should be clear that all other considerations aside, such supplements are rejected as being unnecessary. We need prudence and inward illumination; we do not need additional revelation.

Certainly there is absolutely NO "NEW Revelation" in the sense of adding to God's Word. If God is still speaking authoritatively today, we might as well rip off the back of our Bible and start taking notes again! Certainly God can through providential guidance and through his Spirit direct us regarding earthly vocations, decisions in marriage, financial guidance, et cetera where Scripture does not explicitly speak to us. As a former Assemblies of God member I can readily admit that there are myriads of professing Christians, and misguided ones who under the guise of being Spirit led claim that "God told me." This clearly is anti-Scriptural and leads to a false Bibliology and consequently a poor pneumatology. The Word of God is sufficient for doctrine and practice in our lives. We must always err on the side of caution and rely on Scripture Alone while seeking Christs' guidance in our day to day living.

God speaks to us by the Spirit through His Word. Christianity is not a religion of mysticism and inner promptings, things which very well may be the last meal we ate churning in our tummies. We have the closed canon of Scripture that gives us all we need pertaining to life and godliness. When we are convicted of our sins it is either because of the light of nature (the law of God written on our hearts) or because of the Spirit's conviction of sin due to our knowledge of what His commandments require. Such conviction, etc. is not revelation. Is there something going on in our hearts and minds from the Spirit of God? Of course! But not apart from the preaching and reading of the Scriptures.

:amen:

Very well put Josh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back