Converting/downsizing AVI files

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredtgreco

Vanilla Westminsterian
Staff member
I am trying to take relatively large avi files (about 100MB per minute) produced by my Canon digital camera in video mode and put them in a "share friendly" format.

There should be a way to reduce the size of the file even as an AVI, or else convert it to WMV.

Can anyone help? Grandma wants to see a video of her grandson's speech.

Download this. It's called SUPER Video Converter, and the installation file comes with all the codecs you're going to need. It's amazing.

I am trying to take relatively large avi files (about 100MB per minute) produced by my Canon digital camera in video mode and put them in a "share friendly" format.

There should be a way to reduce the size of the file even as an AVI, or else convert it to WMV.

Fred,

Does Grandma have an Internet Connection? The easiest way to share video online is Youtube.

I have some old mini-DV tapes that I need to get un-lazy about and convert them to DVD's. I usually use Pinnacle Studio that allows real-time conversion of the AVI into the format you want as well as allowing you to chapter it and arrange it.

AVI itself is a lossless format so you're not going to reduce that much with that format but converting it into MPEG2 or MPEG4 will allow you to get smaller files. I still wouldn't want to e-mail those files to anyone. That's why, if I intend to share short clips, it's easy to just upload to Youtube and then share the link. Youtube does a good job of compressing.

If you want to actually share a full length "movie" then use Pinnacle to create a DVD for Grandma.

I can't believe it. Fred Greco, the computer guru, is asking a technical question. What? Its not April 1???

I am trying to take relatively large avi files (about 100MB per minute) produced by my Canon digital camera in video mode and put them in a \"share friendly\" format.

Fred,

Does Grandma have an Internet Connection? The easiest way to share video online is Youtube.

I have some old mini-DV tapes that I need to get un-lazy about and convert them to DVD's. I usually use Pinnacle Studio that allows real-time conversion of the AVI into the format you want as well as allowing you to chapter it and arrange it.

AVI itself is a lossless format so you're not going to reduce that much with that format but converting it into MPEG2 or MPEG4 will allow you to get smaller files. I still wouldn't want to e-mail those files to anyone. That's why, if I intend to share short clips, it's easy to just upload to Youtube and then share the link. Youtube does a good job of compressing.

If you want to actually share a full length "movie" then use Pinnacle to create a DVD for Grandma.

Rich,

The YouTube option is the best one. I am just trying to get short videos to relatives. I can convert them to Divx, and that decreases the size considerable (from 300MB to 20MB), but then they are still hard to email/send (free file sharing sites are often to complicated for the inexperienced) and then I have to make sure they have the Divx codec installed.

So here is my first try and converting Divx (for upload size) and then uploading to YouTube:

[video=youtube;6M4cswqBrL0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M4cswqBrL0[/video]

I use webshots (used to use stage6 for high def Divx, but they close the site :(), and I found that the quality of the video displayed to be pretty good. Plus you can put photo album in it, grandma and relatives love it.

For video conversion I use virtualdub, which is quite flexible and you can adjust the level of compression. I use it in conjunction with Avi2DVD (both free software) to convert my canon avi (mjpeg codec, huge file!) to DVD. Again, Grandma loves it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back