Conviction of Sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottmaciver

Puritan Board Sophomore
We were in a fellowship last night and the issue of conviction of sin came up. The was talk about varying experiences but the gist of the conversation was whether or not conviction of sin was necessary for salvation. Any thoughts?

We were in a fellowship last night and the issue of conviction of sin came up. The was talk about varying experiences but the gist of the conversation was whether or not conviction of sin was necessary for salvation. Any thoughts?

The idea of salvation absent the conviction of sin and consequent absolute need for the substitutionary atonement of Christ is completely inconceivable. So, yes, conviction of sin is necessary for salvation.

Depends on what is meant by "conviction." While conviction may be emotional, for example, conviction is more than simply an emotional response to sin. There has to be an intellecual component that understands that sin is a violation of God's law, is incompatible with His character, and that the person in question is aware of his own culpability in sin in a personal way and not simply in an abstract, aloof sense (i.e.-"nobody's perfect").

The call to repentance is a key component of belief in the gospel. It's a critical element in conversion. Faith is not true faith without repentance. They go together:

"Repent and believe in the gospel." (Mark 1:15)
"Repent and be baptized every one of you." (Acts 2:38)
"I did not shrink from... testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ." (Acts 20:21)
"The elementary doctrine of Christ (is)... a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God." (Hebrews 6:1)

And it's impossible to imagine how there could be any true repentance without conviction of sin.

The law/gospel distinction comes in here. The only "preparation" needed for the gospel is the preaching of the law. Otherwise, no one will see that they even need a savior. People have to see their need before they will be driven to seek the solution to that need. Conviction of sin comes about as the result of the preaching of the law in its pedagogical use.

The law/gospel distinction comes in here. The only "preparation" needed for the gospel is the preaching of the law. Otherwise, no one will see that they even need a savior. People have to see their need before they will be driven to seek the solution to that need. Conviction of sin comes about as the result of the preaching of the law in its pedagogical use.

Great thought! I don't want to change the course of the thread, but your response brings to light a subject of great interest to me. Could you possibly recommend good sources which treat of the role of the law in preaching the gospel? I have to contend with hyperists who exclaim 'Legalism!' when men present the law or call on men to repent and believe.

"Our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction." (1 Thessalonians 1:5)

I'm sorry, that was a misinterpretation of the passage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back