Cornelis Hendrikus Elleboogius (1603-1701)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
This guy, believe it or not, turned up in my Twitter feed. He was a Dutch scholar, a fellow student with van Mastricht and a colleague of Voetius. Almost none of his writings, as far as I can tell, have been translated into English (his Wikipedia page is relatively skimpy). He lived to be 98.

I imagine, though, that he was a man who really knew how to boogie. (I couldn't resist.)

He is a figment of Richard Muller's imagination. My teacher Adrian Neele in the Intro to Post-Reformation Scholastics class at PRTS set us a project to understand him. I actually got all the way to asking Karin Maas at Calvin about the Elleboogius collection at Calvin, and she was the one who told me that Richard Muller has a very nerdy sense of humor and invented this scholastic whole cloth, including a couple of journal articles about him. When I found out, I mentioned this to Neele, who said (in his THICK Dutch accent), "Yes, even in Post-Reformation church history, there is fake news." "Elleboogius" it should be noted, basically means "elbow."

He is a figment of Richard Muller's imagination. My teacher Adrian Neele in the Intro to Post-Reformation Scholastics class at PRTS set us a project to understand him. I actually got all the way to asking Karin Maas at Calvin about the Elleboogius collection at Calvin, and she was the one who told me that Richard Muller has a very nerdy sense of humor and invented this scholastic whole cloth, including a couple of journal articles about him. When I found out, I mentioned this to Neele, who said (in his THICK Dutch accent), "Yes, even in Post-Reformation church history, there is fake news." "Elleboogius" it should be noted, basically means "elbow."
Is this really true?

I was extremely frustrated with the project Dr. Neele set us because I couldn't find him in the school matriculation records anywhere. A fellow student of Van Mastricht and Voetius would be sure to be in there. Spent several hours trying to find him. Couldn't do it. That's when I called Calvin, and Maas said I wasn't the first to call her about this. Then I laughed for about 2 solid hours.

Alrighty then, it's a fairly elaborate hoax, especially for a Reformed scholar to pull off...

Do you really think anyone would exist with a last name of Quaedtvlieg?
Well, I did pull this up with a Google search, but maybe Muller kept busy further propagating his hoax...

Joannes Henricus Cordewener, gedoopt 6 juni 1774 te Schaesberg (doopget.: Henricus Meens, Elijsabetha Spijerts), overleden 11 november 1866 te Heerlen. Beroep schoenmaker. Gehuwd 14 september 1806 te Schaesberg met Maria Josepha Quaedtvlieg, geboren 9 maart 1779 te Schaesberg, overleden 8 september 1853 te Heerlen. Dochter van Andres Quaedtvlieg en Marie Margaretha Heuts.

Last edited:
I thought it was well-known that this was a practical joke from Dr. Muller. I've heard that for several years.

I was extremely frustrated with the project Dr. Neele set us because I couldn't find him in the school matriculation records anywhere. A fellow student of Van Mastricht and Voetius would be sure to be in there. Spent several hours trying to find him. Couldn't do it. That's when I called Calvin, and Maas said I wasn't the first to call her about this. Then I laughed for about 2 solid hours.
This all seems very odd to me. Why would Adriaan waste his students times by sending them off to do research on a fictional theologian? Why would Brill publish articles on said fictional theologian? Why would a respected scholar such as van Asselt go along with this and write false research on this character? Who created the above images?

I may email Richard and Adriaan to inquire further.

This is funny. Although for future reference a funny name doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a real Dutch last name. In the days of Napoleon the Dutch were forced to adopt last names. Some of them did so in a joking way but the names stuck. My wife literally went to school with someone with the last name "Mooiebroek" which translates to beautiful pants. I also saw a wedding invitation with the last name "Speksneijder" (bacon slicer). I used to go to church with people whose last name was "van der Spek" (from the bacon).

This all seems very odd to me. Why would Adriaan waste his students times by sending them off to do research on a fictional theologian? Why would Brill publish articles on said fictional theologian? Why would a respected scholar such as van Asselt go along with this and write false research on this character? Who created the above images?

I may email Richard and Adriaan to inquire further.

When you talk to Richard, ask him if RHB can get the reprint rights for his 4-volume Post-Reformation Reformed Dogmatics. Someone needs to reprint that set.

We have just began a publishing relationship with him. The first release just arrived to the warehouse.

I don't know how to do that, being an old geezer and computer illiterate. However, each of the four volumes states, on the copyright page: "Copyright (actually, the copyright symbol) 2003 by Richard A. Muller" Same copyright year for all four volumes.

I don't know how to do that, being an old geezer and computer illiterate. However, each of the four volumes states, on the copyright page: "Copyright (actually, the copyright symbol) 2003 by Richard A. Muller" Same copyright year for all four volumes.
Don't worry about it. I forgot I had it in digital format. Thanks anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back