Corporate Worship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter,
You are absolutely correct, we ARE arguing over semantics. You are redefining the historic definition of what corprate means and has meant in the historic church.

EXACTLY, it was a **STIPULATIVE** definition, viz. ad hoc for the purpose of clarification. This debate wasn't over terminology it was over the scope of the RPW. Whether or not my definition is lexically precise is irrelevant. (But I do find it humorous you quote Piper and a PCA newspaper for the *historic* definition of corporate.)

:handshake:

Originally posted by Peter
Peter,
You are absolutely correct, we ARE arguing over semantics. You are redefining the historic definition of what corprate means and has meant in the historic church.

EXACTLY, it was a **STIPULATIVE** definition, viz. ad hoc for the purpose of clarification. This debate wasn't over terminology it was over the scope of the RPW. Whether or not my definition is lexically precise is irrelevant. (But I do find it humorous you quote Piper and a PCA newspaper for the *historic* definition of corporate.)

:handshake:

I had nothing else........

I am writing my New Testament Survey research paper on What the church is and how it should be set up. Basically I plan on distinguishing the line between corporate worship and the church as the new Israel, and then focus on how the corporate church should be.

Here is my layout thus far:

1. Parallel sunday gatherings to the temple

2. Briefly explain covenant continuty

3. Describe and explain the difference between Elements vs. Circumstances

4. The issue of EP, no instruments, and Holidays

5. Conclusion

What do you think? What are good sources? I have a couple weeks to get this done. I thought of doing predestination since I already have a defense for it and thus the paper would be easy, but I chose this topic to force me to research it.

Originally posted by Peter
I recommend you read some of the free files available at Pastor Schwertley's website:...

Especially:
http://reformedonline.com/view/reformedonline/sola.htm

Thanks for the link, and I found an interesting stat in the site.

"Many Reformed churches are following in the footsteps of Arminian, revivalistic, charismatic, and the church growth movement style of worship. An excellent example of the current deterioration is the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). The following statistics document their declension. Twenty-five years ago the PCA had approximately 2% exclusive Psalms singing churches; 40% "œtraditional" (e.g., Trinity Hymnal with piano and organ); 50% "œtraditional" with a few "œScripture songs" and a variety of musical instrumentation; and only 8% had a "œtraditional/contemporary" mix. Today, approximately 70% of their churches have a "œtraditional/contemporary" mix. Hurst writes: "œIf [they] don´t have dance and drama, it´s only because there is no one to lead it; women and young people may lead worship as individuals praying and reading Scripture, applause [is] acceptable for [a] job well done; music may take the form of [a] performance."59 Less than 1% of PCA churches today adhere to exclusive Psalmody (i.e., biblical worship)."

If the RPW is a shield to keep out the influence of sinful man we should boldly hold our ground. Take a CONSERV(E)ative stance rather than a liberal one. The PCA cracked the door open a little, and now it's almost completely open. A little leaven leavens the whole lump.

The PCA's worship is starting to look like most evangelical (Southern Baptist, Methodist, Nondenom seeker sensitive) worship services.

As I go to seminary and study to begin a ministry in the future, I really want to help reform America. I think a powerful step in the right direction would be if the reformed denominations were to unify. However, as they modify and stray farther from the mark it almost seems as hopeful as getting the reformed baptist to become Presbyterian. Or to get any evangelical church to become reformed. Most likely we will just have to build up the RPCA.

[Edited on 3-23-2005 by ABondSlaveofChristJesus]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back