Could you be satisfied?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim G

Puritan Board Junior
“If you could have heaven, with no sickness, and with all the friends you ever had on earth, and all the food you ever liked, and all the leisure activities you ever enjoyed, and all the natural beauties you ever saw, all the physical pleasures you ever tasted, and no human conflict or any natural disasters, could you be satisfied with heaven, if Christ were not there?”

–John Piper, God is the Gospel

I thought this quote to be very thought-provoking. Being a Christian is a relationship with Christ more than it is "getting stuff from Him." Of course we all know that with one comes the other, but I need to keep my focus on Christ.

1 Corinthians 2:9

9But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

I Can Only Imagine lyrics

I can only imagine
What it will be like
When I walk
By your side

I can only imagine
What my eyes will see
When your face
Is before me
I can only imagine

I can only imagine

[Chorus:]
Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine

I can only imagine

I can only imagine
When that day comes
And I find myself
Standing in the Son

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever
Forever worship You
I can only imagine

I can only imagine

[Chorus]

I can only imagine [x2]

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever, forever worship you

I can only imagine

“If you could have heaven, with no sickness, and with all the friends you ever had on earth, and all the food you ever liked, and all the leisure activities you ever enjoyed, and all the natural beauties you ever saw, all the physical pleasures you ever tasted, and no human conflict or any natural disasters, could you be satisfied with heaven, if Christ were not there?”

I thought this quote to be very thought-provoking. Being a Christian is a relationship with Christ more than it is "getting stuff from Him." Of course we all know that with one comes the other, but I need to keep my focus on Christ.

That wouldn't be heaven - that would be hell...

Of course, it is not possible that you could have a place of no conflict, without Christ. They come together. But I get Piper's point. Fortunately, we are not called to make this choice. We will be given both.

Paul Washer preached on this as well. He claims EVERYONE will say they want to go to Heaven when asked, they just don't care if God's there or not. He's teaching that we ask the wrong questions when witnessing to others.

Paul Washer preached on this as well. He claims EVERYONE will say they want to go to Heaven when asked, they just don't care if God's there or not. He's teaching that we ask the wrong questions when witnessing to others.

Very good point. Thanks for mentioning this, as it is something that we all keep in mind.

Do you have link to this sermon?

That wouldn't be heaven - that would be hell...

AMEN!

It's why folks have been willing to die and suffer for the Name of Christ. We know that what we have in Him is far greater than anything this world can give us including pleasure, food, good health, etc. We get glimpses of that here on this earth, and it makes us want Him even more.

I thought this quote to be very thought-provoking. Being a Christian is a relationship with Christ more than it is \"getting stuff from Him.\" Of course we all know that with one comes the other, but I need to keep my focus on Christ.

I love this quote. I first heard it in Shai Linne's song [video=youtube;56HR7RhzZE4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56HR7RhzZE4[/video]

It shook me. I asked around for the title of the sermon (a great one). Love John Piper!

Some years back, I had a time of serious doubt and spiritual crisis. I thought that Christ had left me, and though I know now that that was not the case, it certainly felt like it at the time. It was the most awful feeling, the worst thing I have ever experienced by some magnitude, even though I was otherwise doing quite well in life.

Edited to add: Yay me! 500 posts! And it has only taken me 5 and a half years (6 years since I first stumbled across A Puritan's Mind.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back