Covenant Promise Vs Unconditional Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
. . . .But that doesn't mean I'm going to force wine and bread down my children's throat.

Absolutely not. The scriptures are clear on that issue. Paedocommunion is not even a consideration.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Originally posted by poimen
Gabe,
Our children are indeed Christians. They are part of the visible church and are disciples of Christ. The term Christian denotes disciple, not a validation of regeneration or conversion.

How or would you distinguish your articulation here to that of Douglas Wilson's explanation of a Christian "'Reformed Is Not Enough'"?

Daniel,
Given my age, would you quote Wilson for me please? :bigsmile:

"A Christian, in one sense, is anyone who is baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit by an authorized representative of the Christian church... according to the Bible, a Christian is one who would be identified as such by a Muslim. Membership in the Christian faith is objective- it can be photographed and fingerprinted."

(Pages 19 & 21)

He does not deny that, in another sense, one is must be or is a Christian in an inward sense, regenerated, converted etc.

So I am asking if you hold to a two-fold sense of being a Christian, or only one sense of being a Christian?

To be open and honest, this is my position: I would want to raise my children as Christians, believing that they are Christians, even though this may not turn out to be the case. But I would not hold to a two-fold sense of being a 'Christian.' In regards to the covenant/church yes (administration/essence; visible/invisible) but not the word Christian.

http://www.apuritansmind.com/BookReviews/WilsonDouglasReformedNotEnough.htm#_ftnref17

[Edited on 10-15-2005 by poimen]

My Children will be considered Christian until the day they apostasize from the church. Being a Christian does not validate one's position in the invisible church.

With respect, you didn't quite answer my question: Do you agree with Wilson or not? It seems that you do.

I agree with your first sentence here, but I am not sure what you mean by your second statement.

Do you have a problem with Matt's criticism of Wilson on this point, or am I misunderstanding him as well?

Gabe,
Our children are indeed Christians. They are part of the visible church and are disciples of Christ. The term Christian denotes disciple, not a validation of regeneration or conversion.

How or would you distinguish your articulation here to that of Douglas Wilson's explanation of a Christian "'Reformed Is Not Enough'"?

Daniel,
Given my age, would you quote Wilson for me please? :bigsmile:

"A Christian, in one sense, is anyone who is baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit by an authorized representative of the Christian church... according to the Bible, a Christian is one who would be identified as such by a Muslim. Membership in the Christian faith is objective- it can be photographed and fingerprinted."

(Pages 19 & 21)

He does not deny that, in another sense, one is must be or is a Christian in an inward sense, regenerated, converted etc.

So I am asking if you hold to a two-fold sense of being a Christian, or only one sense of being a Christian?

To be open and honest, this is my position: I would want to raise my children as Christians, believing that they are Christians, even though this may not turn out to be the case. But I would not hold to a two-fold sense of being a 'Christian.' In regards to the covenant/church yes (administration/essence; visible/invisible) but not the word Christian.

http://www.apuritansmind.com/BookReviews/WilsonDouglasReformedNotEnough.htm#_ftnref17

My Children will be considered Christian until the day they apostasize from the church. Being a Christian does not validate one's position in the invisible church.

With respect, you didn't quite answer my question: Do you agree with Wilson or not? It seems that you do.

I agree with your first sentence here, but I am not sure what you mean by your second statement.

Do you have a problem with Matt's criticism of Wilson on this point, or am I misunderstanding him as well?

Dan,
Matt would agree 100% w/ my statement. There is much more baggage attached to Wilsons position that would conflict with what I am saying. You agree that Christian = disciple, correct?

Dan,
Matt would agree 100% w/ my statement. There is much more baggage attached to Wilsons position that would conflict with what I am saying.

I realize that you do not find Wilson to be an orthodox theologian and I don't equate his ideas with yours. For someone to hold to what he does at this point does not make one a heretic; but I think it is confusing and unhelpful. As Matt points out, the danger is that it leads to moralism or nominalism (a la Medievalism).

I just can't reconcile what you said with what Matt says in his book. Nor can I reconcile it with what the 3FU says about Christians. I have compiled it and I can post it elsewhere.

This is the perspective that I am coming from:

WCF, Chapter 14

II. By this faith, a Christian believeth to be true whatsoever is revealed in the Word, for the authority of God himself speaking therein;[5] and acteth differently upon that which each particular passage thereof containeth; yielding obedience to the commands,[6] trembling at the threatenings,[7] and embracing the promises of God for this life, and that which is to come.[8] But the principal acts of saving faith are accepting, receiving, and resting upon Christ alone for justification, sanctification, and eternal life, by virtue of the covenant of grace.[9]

5. II Peter 1:20-21; John 4:42; I Thess. 2:13; I John 5:9-10; Acts 24:14
6. Psa. 119:10-11, 48, 97-98, 167-168; John 14:15
7. Ezra 9:4; Isa. 66:2; Heb. 4:1
8. Heb. 11:13; I Tim. 4:8
9. John 1:12; Acts 15:11, 16:31; Gal. 2:20; II Tim. 1:9-10

You agree that Christian = disciple, correct?

Yes, but what kind of disciple? 12 disciples? No, Judas was a reprobate. A disciple, it seems to me, is a follower of Christ. I wouldn't believe that someone who doesn't have faith is a follower of Christ. Judas may have followed Christ around, but he didn't believe.

Perhaps you can show me what you don't agree with about Wilson's position? That would be helpful.

As an aside:

WCF 14. Article 2.

"trembling at the threatenings"

Isaiah 66:2 "But on this one will I look: On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, And who trembles at My word."

:sing:

John 6:60 When many of his disciples heard it, they said, "œThis is a hard saying; who can listen to it?" 61 But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were grumbling about this, said to them, "œDo you take offense at this? 62 Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is of no avail. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe." (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.) 65 And he said, "œThis is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father."

66 After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him. 67 So Jesus said to the Twelve, "œDo you want to go away as well?" 68 Simon Peter answered him, "œLord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, 69 and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God." 70 Jesus answered them, "œDid I not choose you, the Twelve? And yet one of you is a devil." 71 He spoke of Judas the son of Simon Iscariot, for he, one of the Twelve, was going to betray him.

John 6:60 When many of his disciples heard it, they said, "œThis is a hard saying; who can listen to it?" 61 But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were grumbling about this, said to them, "œDo you take offense at this? 62 Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is of no avail. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe." (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.) 65 And he said, "œThis is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father."

66 After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him. 67 So Jesus said to the Twelve, "œDo you want to go away as well?" 68 Simon Peter answered him, "œLord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, 69 and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God." 70 Jesus answered them, "œDid I not choose you, the Twelve? And yet one of you is a devil." 71 He spoke of Judas the son of Simon Iscariot, for he, one of the Twelve, was going to betray him.

eusa_eh.gif

You agree that Christian = disciple, correct?

Yes, but what kind of disciple? 12 disciples? No, Judas was a reprobate. A disciple, it seems to me, is a follower of Christ. I wouldn't believe that someone who doesn't have faith is a follower of Christ. Judas may have followed Christ around, but he didn't believe.

Looks like Scripture disagrees with that definition of disciple, though, that is what I'm saying.

Yes, but do you see what I am saying? 'Disciple' is a fine word to use for Christian except for the fact that it can be understood in more than one sense, as you rightly pointed out. So I wouldn't agree with the word Christian to be equal with disciple, unless you meant disciple in the sense that I gave it above. Therefore the term becomes unhelpful, at least for me, to define what a 'Christian' is.

So do you think it can be proven from Scripture that Christian = elect?

Not explicitly.

The word Christian, as Wilson points out, is not used very often in Scripture. But I do believe that the Church ought to define the word based on her understanding of scripture.

:ditto:

Okay. So here is my challenge: how does the Church define a Christian? Not you or me, but the Church. And don't cite the Worstminster to me because it doesn't count!

;)

Randy,

You asked from another posting:

Are you saying that I have no hope in Christ having elected any of my children or the children of my fellow believers?

You have much hope brother, meaning expectation and not wishful thinking. And the only way you CAN have biblical expectation, biblical hope, is if a promise is given upon which such faith/trust/hope can be laid and only God can do that. Note I do not say presumption but faith as in trust.

This verse is a good verse of course understood correctly and not incorrectly. "œThe effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." The righteous man spoken of in it is none other than the believer. That is the simultaneous sinner/just in Christ alone - Christ alone makes him righteous not himself. Thus, we are spoken of as righteous for Christ´s sake alone, not our works before or after conversion which are in and of themselves sin. As a matter of fact we must repent entirely and especially of our "œgood works" for NOTHING keeps us from grace more strongly than our "œgood works". Even blind and dead pagan´s recognize gross evil deeds, no it is our "œgood works" that hinder us from Christ and grace. The righteous man of faith is a humble man, not actively as in "œI´m humble", but humble passively having been acted upon by God to kill the man´s self righteous and seeking God by his works. You see the difference, if one is IN Christ, one"˜s old man, the "œgood works"œ machine, MUST die. If one thinks, even post "œcoming to the faith"œ, that one is righteous due to some change of himself, one is not of the real faith. I"˜m not saying we don"˜t struggle with it but the old man must be crucified with Christ. The righteous one is one resting in Christ alone plus nothing AT ALL.

So, the prayer that is effective is a prayer of faith (not a prayer of works or righteousness in that sense), being strong in grace, confident in the thrown of grace on account of Christ, the same who is righteous on account of Christ - not "œa righteous man by his deeds". Thus, this prayer does not "œmove God" as in "œI pray it and otherwise change God´s mind or move Him to mercy". Not at all that would make me effectively saying that I´m the real merciful one and higher than God, and that is truly Satanic. No, in faith, trust in Christ alone, I/you/we can pray such prayers and holding to the promise that God has INDEED said He has consideration for our seed, our children, He cannot see our children Whom HE GAVE TO US and not see us Whom His Son´s own blood has covered and redeemed. That hope, that expectation from the Voice of God Himself IS what gives you faith for your children. God has said this promise, don´t listen to "œhath God really said" interpretations of such verses. If one views otherwise one is really saying, in truth and reality, "˜I´m more merciful than God because I want my children saved but I don´t know about God´.

I offer you this much for now for encouragement: Even if you don´t baptize your children, hold to God´s promise for your children, don´t let ridiculous bendings and obvious additions to God´s word of promise rob you of hope He has spoken to you in His word. Trust in Him alone!

Your brother always,

Larry

I would have to say that i agree with wilson on the subject thus far of definition of a christian in a two-fold sense, however not on a number of other things. But i do not believe this definition of christian to make you an fv advocate, maybe we should stray from this as i am seeing that it can cause quick division just over a definition.

Just as there were Jews of the synagogue of satan so there should be covenant breaker children that are called christian in the objective sense.

A non Covenant Member that does not believe is a heathen correct? However a covenant member in the objective sense that denies Christ is a covenant-breaker.

Originally posted by mattbauer
Only it means that the atmosphere of the Christian home will be a means of grace to elect child (and a means of further damnation to the non-elect).

So what is the reason for infant baptism. I understand the paralell of circumcision to baptism and the reason for that. But what actually happens at infant baptism then? Is it apart from grace and rather a dedication in light of what you say? Or am i misunderstanding? I mean no offense of course.

Grace and peace.

This fits right along with the Christian home being a means of grace to the elect child.

We baptize our children, setting them apart as the Lord's possession. Baptism is a means of grace.
We discipline, admonish, and instruct our children with the scriptures. This is a means of grace.
We read the scriptures with our children. This is a means of grace.
Our children attend the preaching of the Word. This is a means of Grace.

Election is unconditional, yet God works through ordinary means (i.e. the means of grace) to draw His people to Himself. There is a difference between our children and the children of the world. Our children are in contact with the ordinary means of grace, as members of a Christian home and as members of the visible church, apart from which, "there is no ordinary possibilty of salvation" (WCF XXV:2).

But what actually happens at infant baptism then?

First to quote the Confession: "The efficacy of baptism is not tied to that moment of time wherein it is administered" (WCF XXVIII:6).

At baptism (whether infant baptism or adult baptism) the Word is preached (the Word being the primary means of Grace). Those who are present ought to be reminded of their own baptism; that they too have been set apart as the Lord's.

We and are children, ought to "improve" our baptism. As Christian parents we are to instruct our children in this matter:

WLC Q167: How is our Baptism to be improved by us?
A167: The needful but much neglected duty of improving our Baptism, is to be performed by us all our life long, especially in the time of temptation, and when we are present at the administration of it to others;[1] by serious and thankful consideration of the nature of it, and of the ends for which Christ instituted it, the privileges and benefits conferred and sealed thereby, and our solemn vow made therein;[2] by being humbled for our sinful defilement, our falling short of, and walking contrary to, the grace of baptism, and our engagements;[3] by growing up to assurance of pardon of sin, and of all other blessings sealed to us in that sacrament;[4] by drawing strength from the death and resurrection of Christ, into whom we are baptized, for the mortifying of sin, and quickening of grace;[5] and by endeavoring to live by faith,[6] to have our conversation in holiness and righteousness,[7] as those that have therein given up their names to Christ;[8] and to walk in brotherly love, as being baptized by the same Spirit into one body.[9]

1. Col. 2:11-12; Rom. 6:4, 6, 11
2. Rom. 6:3-5
3. I Cor. 1:11-13; Rom. 6:2-3
4. Rom. 4:11-12; I Peter 3:21
5. Rom. 6:3-5
6. Gal. 3:26-27
7. Rom. 6:22
8. Acts 2:38
9. I Cor. 12:13, 25-27

[Edited on 10-15-2005 by Dan....]

I must admit that I haven't heard that we should consider an unregenerate a christian. And let's not start the argument about not being able to know who is and who isn't. A profession of faith and right conversation was at least needed. That is why Matthew Mead wrote the book 'The Almost Christian Discovered'.

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
I must admit that I haven't heard that we should consider an unregenerate a christian. And let's not start the argument about not being able to know who is and who isn't. A profession of faith and right conversation was at least needed. That is why Matthew Mead wrote the book 'The Almost Christian Discovered'.

Matthew Meads book is written for self evaluation; it is not an ecclesiatical tool.

The baptised infant may or may not be converted; he may be regenerate-he may be unregenerate. He is still a Christian. Adisciple is a Christian. A Christian is a disciple. A disciple may not be a member of the invisible church. A disciple IS a member of the visible church.

Gabriel wrote:-
There is no ordinary possibility (sic) salvation outside of the Church (WCF XXV. ii).
First of all, it's XXVII.ii, secondly it's not written as Gabriel puts it and thirdly it's wrong anyway.
If we don't raise our children as Church members, telling them they're dirty pagans that need to repent, then don't cross your fingers to see them converted and remain true to the faith. If you raise your children as baptised Church members, teaching them the ways of the Lord and instructing them and patterning for them the ways of faith and repentence, the promise that Peter mentions is very much a reality for them, because they are born into the kingdom of God and given all the benefits over and beyond pagan children in the hope of salvation.

I can think of no better way to raise a Pharisee in your home than this. There is a deadly danger, even in Baptist churches, that the children of believers will believe themselves to be converted because they are treated as Christians, called 'Covenant Kids' or somesuch nonsense and encouraged to think that if they lead outwardly moral lives and attend the ordinances, that will make them Christians.

For the eternal wellbeing of your children, I can only plead with anyone reading this not to be deceived by this specious nonsense! It is sending them to hell with a pocket-full of promises in their hands. Of course the children of believers have wonderful advantages. Of course it is important for them to sit under the word. But unless a child is born again by the Spirit of God, he cannot so much as see the kingdom of God, much less enter it.

Paul is a wonderful example of a 'covenant kid.' Born into a 'covenant' family, circumcised according to the law, taught the Scriptures from a child, trained in religion- gosh! He'd have been right at home here, wouldn't he? Persecuting true believers? 'Nuff said.

And none of this availed him anything. We all know the word he uses to describe it all (Phil 3:8, KJV if you don't!). But Christ laid hold of him- outside the Church, mark you!- and brought him to Himself, taught not by men but by God (Gal 1:11-12 ).

Originally posted by puritancovenanter

Matthew Meads book is written for self evaluation; it is not an ecclesiatical tool.

The baptised infant may or may not be converted; he may be regenerate-he may be unregenerate. He is still a Christian. Adisciple is a Christian. A Christian is a disciple. A disciple may not be a member of the invisible church. A disciple IS a member of the visible church.

We are just going to have to disagree on this one Scott. Those dang inferences.

Originally posted by Martin Marprelate
Gabriel wrote:-
There is no ordinary possibility (sic) salvation outside of the Church (WCF XXV. ii).

First of all, it's XXVII.ii, secondly it's not written as Gabriel puts it and thirdly it's wrong anyway.

First of all, you're wrong, it is XXV. ii. Click here:

Secondly, you're wrong. It says, and I quote:

II. The visible Church, which is also catholic or universal under the Gospel (not confined to one nation, as before under the law), consists of all those throughout the world that profess the true religion;[2] and of their children:[3] and is the kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ,[4] the house and family of God,[5] out of which there is no ordinary possibility of salvation.[6]

I said "there is no ordinary possibility of salvation outside of the Church." Where was I wrong, Martin? What did I change?

Thirdly, of course you disagree. That's why you're a Baptist and anti-Presbyterian in ecclesiology and, on certain points, soteriology. That's the whole point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back