Crash

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by VirginiaHuguenot, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

My PC has crashed repeatedly in the last 24 hours. For a time we could not even get IE or AOL browsers to load at all, if they came up, they soon crashed. We got error messages indicating the computer was running slowly. Lots of strange error messages. I have one now which says "Rundll32 has caused an error in <unknown> Rundll32 will now close. If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer." We deleted some strange programs that somehow got onto our PC last night. Since then there has been some improvement. Our Norton antivirus is dated 2001, so obviously we are at risk of viruses, which I think is what happened. Any suggestions on how to proceed both to address the Rundll32 error message and update our antivirus protection would be greatly appreciated. We have been lax in protecting our PC and now we are paying the price. But we don't know much about how to go about fixing the current issues or prevention of future problems.

:banghead:

2. ReformedWretch

ReformedWretch Puritan Board Doctor

Download:

Spybot Search and destroy

Lavasoft Adaware

Spy Sweeper

Update ALL of them

Restart your PC in "safe mode" and run all three erasing EVERYTHING they find.

Then download AVG Free Virus Protection, update it, and keep auto protect turned on.

3. ReformedWretch

Also, tongith when you go to bed, defrag your PC hard drive!

4. VirginiaHuguenot

Adam,

Thanks! Can you point me to where to find these protections?

5. ReformedWretch

Let me look a minute...

6. ReformedWretch

7. VirginiaHuguenot

Thanks again, Adam! I will check out those links pronto. But to answer your last question, nope, I'm afraid not. I need to get "Computers for Dummies"...:book2:

8. ReformedWretch

LOL

To defrag:

Click on START

Programs

Accessories

System Tools

Disk Defragmenter

Then choose your hard drive (usually the C drive) and press "defragment"

I suggest doing that once a month. I suggest updating those spy programs once a week and scanning your PC once a week with all 3 as well!

I will post soon how to start in safe mode. It's not hard but it is a "process"

9. ReformedWretch

10. VirginiaHuguenot

Ok, what happens exactly when you defrag? I am thinking of fragmentation grenades for some reason! Is defragging the reverse of that, ie., defusing a bomb that has already gone off in your harddrive? :eek:

11. ReformedWretch

It puts everything back in order, deletes stuff that is not used or was not ever fully deleted, etc. It's completely SAFE.

12. VirginiaHuguenot

Gotcha. Thanks again, Adam! You've been a HUGE help, brother! I'll see about fixing this computer now...

13. ReformedWretch

good luck! I just did this for my brother inlaw the other evening. Took me 4 hours though because he had soooo much spyware on his PC. Over 370 items found.

14. gwine

gwine Puritan Board Sophomore

Maybe this happened to keep you from getting too many posts . . .

Naaaaaah. That could never be.

15. VirginiaHuguenot

:lol: Heh heh, back online now...

16. ReformedWretch

So Andrew, that worked?

17. VirginiaHuguenot

I have not completed all the steps but the downloads are definitely helpful. Hope to finish the process in the next day or two. There is already much improvement!

Many, many thanks, Adam!:up:

18. ReformedWretch

Not a problem!

19. HuguenotHelpMeet

HuguenotHelpMeet Puritan Board Freshman

Hey Adam,

Thanks for all your help. I have spent hours upon hours this week trying to get rid of a trojan horse. AVG found it but couldn't heal it. Any suggestions?

Thanks...your help and links have been my only hope of getting our computer running again. Andrew's only been able to post from work this week...poor guy! ;-)

20. ReformedWretch

Sometimes with AVG you have to choose to put the viruses in the vault. Then go into the vault and delete them from there.

21. VirginiaHuguenot

The trojan horse is a stubborn one. AVG can't get rid of it. It's also apparently "contagious" to other files. We are considering investing in a software that specializes in trojan horse removal, but it costs $$ and apparently is not guaranteed to remove any and all trojan horses, just "most" of them. Any suggestions on dealing with trojan horses specifically?

22. fredtgreco

fredtgreco Vanilla Westminsterian Staff Member

Well, I guess Providence took care of making sure you don't catch everyone in posting! ;)

Seriously, your best solution is a Trojan Horse Remover. I may have a program you can use. It would be on my other PC. If I can find it, then I could put it ona website for you to download and install.

23. VirginiaHuguenot

Fred, Thanks! Let me know if that's possible. I've known about the dangers of trojan horses and viruses, but until now the dangers never hit home. Man, who invents these things??!!

Don't worry, though, I still have other means of internet access for posting purposes...:D

24. HuguenotHelpMeet

HuguenotHelpMeet Puritan Board Freshman

Elder Greco,

Thanks for your kind offer. That is exactly what we need. Each time I do a virus scan more trojans show up and AVG isn't able to heal them, move them to the vault or delete them. I have felt like throwing away this machine...but seems we can't live without it.

Thanks again!

25. fredtgreco

Andrew,

Check your U2U

26. ReformedWretch

Wow, I have yet to encounter something AVG couldn't at least vault!

27. VirginiaHuguenot

Got it Fred. Thanks!

More later...

28. VirginiaHuguenot

Fred,

The preliminary report from my wife is that your recommended downloads have done the trick. She says that our computer is running better than it has in years!

You da man! Thanks so much!

29. VirginiaHuguenot

Well, we are continuing to experience problems with the trojan horse virus. We get periodic messages from AVG announcing the detection of trojan horses and despite "healing" them through AVG and despite the trojan horse guardian download from Fred, the trojan horse just will not go away. It's persistent, possibly replicating in our root drive, or so says a friend. IE is basically unusable. AOL is our workaround means of accessing the internet, but we don't like it. Would Firefox be a better browser for us? We have a friend who may come over and examine our harddrive this week. What a headache! The kind assistance of Fred and Adam is greatly appreciated and we hope to get this thing finally resolved soon. :banghead:

30. fredtgreco

Andrew,

In my opinion, IE is an invitation to such problems. I would use either Firefox or Opera, if I were you (the Opera free version has ads).

Are the trojan guardian programs (did you try both?) showing trojans present? That would mean replication somehow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.