CRC Leftward Drift Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Calvin College has a new chaplain. It's the Rev. Hulst - the "Rev." Mary Hulst, that is. She's the first woman to be ordained in the CRC, and she "pastored" a church for 8 years before taking her new job.

Naturally, the college thinks this is just nifty...

Calvin College - News & Stories 2008-09 - Hulst is new Chaplain

Hulst, who grew up in Holland, Mich., felt called to the ministry from an early age: “I had a pastor when I was in the seventh grade who told me I was going to be a minister,” she said. “That seed grew and grew in high school until I knew that’s what I felt called to do.”

I'm really not sure what to think of this comment..

She also preaches very well, according to those who have heard her: “A few of her recommenders said that she’s one of the best preachers in the Christian Reformed Church,”

But this seems to be all the rage..however, I'm sure there are Men of many colors who have experienced these range of emotions at some point in their life..to where they could fit the bill..

That empathy and trust were key to Hulst’s selection, said Joel Navarro, a Calvin professor of music who served on the search committee. “I felt she had an … understanding of pain, separation, alienation, and these are things that, as an international (faculty member) I’d like my chaplain to address … ,” said Navarro, who is a native of the Philippines. “I want our chaplain to be sensitive to what our non-white students might be feeling.”

Other than Dr. Beeke, does any good news come out of Grand Rapids anymore?

I keep hoping my local congregation will wake up and detach themselves from the runaway apostasy of the leadership in the CRC and Calvin Seminary. But for many in my Church, being linked to the CRC seems to be a strong tradition, even though they disagree with the liberal positions of the "New" CRC.

I'm constantly told "just wait" "be patient" "something's going to change".

Arrrgggg!!!! :soapbox: :banghead: :(

Please pray for us.

Other than Dr. Beeke, does any good news come out of Grand Rapids anymore?

Much! Not only is it the bastion of Reformed churches in Michigan, it also is home to Richard Muller (at Calvin, nonetheless!). There is much good news that comes out of Grand Rapids.

I guess applying to their PhD program would be a waste at this point. :um:

Perhaps not, depending on your interest. A school's academic potential has little to do with its stand on certain doctrines. Note that many of our favorite Reformed friends studied at much more potentially hostile PhD programs (R. Scott Clark, Guy Waters, Michael Horton, John Frame, John Piper, Vern Poythress, etc.)

Perhaps not, depending on your interest. A school's academic potential has little to do with its stand on certain doctrines. Note that many of our favorite Reformed friends studied at much more potentially hostile PhD programs (R. Scott Clark, Guy Waters, Michael Horton, John Frame, John Piper, Vern Poythress, etc.)

There are a number of CanRC and OPC men studying in the historical theology Ph.D. program with Richard Muller at Calvin Seminary. There are a few lumps you may have to swallow, but the rigour and depth of that program is hard to beat.

Kim Riddlebarger got an excellent education under Muller when he was at Fulller, arguably a MUCH more "diverse" and "progressive" place than Calvin. If I had a chance to study under Muller, I think my path would go his direction regardless of the school. However, if there was an opportunity to be under Beeke, now that might just be heaven.

I would hardly call the CRC's direction "drifting." It's already hit the bottom. Case in point, in March 2009 the following occurred in the Commons Lecture Hall:

LGBT Panel Lesbian and gay Calvin students tell their stories. Cosponsored by Broene Discussion Group & SAGA

Every spring Calvin hosts a panel discussion as an opportunity for the college to hear the stories of some of our gay and lesbian students. In the spirit of the CRC synodical reports of 1973 and 2002 (which are available at the panel) this event seeks to put a human face on an issue that is both current and controversial in our society. The panel does not address theological or biological questions, but provides a chance to listen and to reflect on people’s lived experience.

I know a lot of people in the CRC. What is shocking to me is not this story, but that members of the CRC stay in the CRC and support Calvin College by sending offerings and students into this school.

Last edited:
That empathy and trust were key to Hulst’s selection, said Joel Navarro, a Calvin professor of music who served on the search committee. “I felt she had an … understanding of pain, separation, alienation, and these are things that, as an international (faculty member) I’d like my chaplain to address … ,” said Navarro, who is a native of the Philippines. “I want our chaplain to be sensitive to what our non-white students might be feeling.”

Reminds me of the nominee for a certain high post in the judicial system.

:eek::eek::eek:

Danny, you left out . . .

Brother Outsider- The story of Bayard Rustin, organizer of the 1963 March on Washington. This documentary highlights the contributions of a gay man to ending official segregation in America. Sponsored by SAGA, MSAB and the Sexuality Series.
Thursday, February 26, 7:00pm

And . . .
Transgender Day of Remembrance Lecture and vigil
Sponsored by Sexuality Awareness Gender Acceptance (SAGA) and the Broene Counseling Center.
November 20, 6pm

I know a lot of people in the CRC. What is shocking to me is not this story, but that members of the CRC stay in the CRC and support Calvin College by sending offerings and students into this school.

The way I heard it was, "Vee get choost to it."

I would hardly call the CRC's direction "drifting." It's already hit the bottom. Case in point, in March 2009 the following occurred in the Commons Lecture Hall:

LGBT Panel Lesbian and gay Calvin students tell their stories. Cosponsored by Broene Discussion Group & SAGA

Every spring Calvin hosts a panel discussion as an opportunity for the college to hear the stories of some of our gay and lesbian students. In the spirit of the CRC synodical reports of 1973 and 2002 (which are available at the panel) this event seeks to put a human face on an issue that is both current and controversial in our society. The panel does not address theological or biological questions, but provides a chance to listen and to reflect on people’s lived experience.

There's also "AWARE", "As We Are", Gay and Lesbian groups within the CRC. Not sure how this fits with any idea of repentance and regeneration, but :scratch:

There's also "AWARE", "As We Are", Gay and Lesbian groups within the CRC. Not sure how this fits with any idea of repentance and regeneration, but :scratch:

I've tried to figure out what AWARE is all about, there's not a whole lot of information on how this group really works and what they do. The official position of the CRC is still that the act of Homosexuality is a sin. It's kind of a faulty "hate the sin, love the sinner kind" of position. I see compromises in the language that they use.

From Positions - Christian Reformed Church

Homosexuality
Position

Homosexuality is a condition of disordered sexuality that reflects the brokenness of our sinful world. Persons of same-sex attraction should not be denied community acceptance solely because of their sexual orientation and should be wholeheartedly received by the church and given loving support and encouragement. Christian homosexuals, like all Christians, are called to discipleship, holy obedience, and the use of their gifts in the cause of the kingdom. Opportunities to serve within the offices and the life of the congregation should be afforded to them as to heterosexual Christians.

Homosexualism (that is, explicit homosexual practice), however, is incompatible with obedience to the will of God as revealed in Scripture. The church affirms that it must exercise the same compassion for homosexuals in their sins as it exercises for all other sinners. The church should do everything in its power to help persons with homosexual orientation and give them support toward healing and wholeness.

Homosexuality: a condition of personal identity in which a person is sexually oriented toward persons of the same sex.

Homosexual: a person who has erotic attractions for members of the same sex and who may or may not actually engage in homosexualism.

Homosexualism: explicit and overt homosexual practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back