Creating Greek Ligature Chart in Excel - For Use In Lexi-Logos - Worth the Effort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejonescue

Puritan Board Junior
Hello all. Though I want to fight it, not so much for the task, but what presently seems "out of range" for me, I have been tinkering with the idea of creating some sort of chart or software that would automatically convert ligatures into the Greek that is currently used in theological literature. Since I am not a software engineer, and dont have much money, creating the software now seems presently impossible. But, what I can do, is create a non-editable Excel chart, using the font and chart found here, so that, one can look up the ligature, then copy the utf conversion to either put into the text, or into Lexi-Logos to complete a text. It is not too tiresome of a project, and will probably be an ongoing effort as more ligatures are found. But does this seem worth the effort? If anything, it may prove useful for someone who would want to develop an open-source PopChart type thing for these, where you could select the ligature and automatically copy the conversion; but even an Excel chart seems beneficial until someone learns them by rote.
ligature chart.jpg

As someone who dabbles in old writings, languages, and church history, I would occasionally find something like that quite useful. But I wouldn't presume to push for someone to make the effort to do so on such a limited and self-centered basis.

As someone who dabbles in old writings, languages, and church history, I would occasionally find something like that quite useful. But I wouldn't presume to push for someone to make the effort to do so on such a limited and self-centered basis.
No, you wouldnt be. I just have found that there are quite a few Puritan works I would like to do, even shorter ones, that have a lot of Greek in them. For instance, I was wanting to do Arrowsmiths "God-Man ," but it has a lot of Greek compared to the size of the text. Its really something I have to attempt to do because of the nature of my efforts in ePublishing. Just didnt know if others have found a better way outside being so fluent in the ligatures they can simply type the conversion out.

Also just found out that you can easily insert images into Excel, so this should make getting the ones that are not included in the current font chart I am using, pretty easy from the Ligatures here. Once all the possible Ligatures are inserted, since in Excel you can move the rows up and down, even with the image included, maybe someone with more wisdom can help point in the right or best way/order to list them?
ligature image.jpg

Looking into this more, it seems even the transliteration of the Ligatures to contemporary fonts takes a working knowledge of Greek, as in many instances one has to understand the proper breathing marks and their alternatives, when and if it is necessary, etc. Unfortunately due to my lack of knowledge in Greek, I am going to have to discontinue this project. There is no use in doing it if I cannot be sure what I am doing is correct.

This project was stepping too far "out of my lane." And I can only work within the confines of my present knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back