Creation Museum: Been There?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravens

Puritan Board Sophomore
I've heard good things about it, but has anyone on the board actually been there yet? I'm thinking of going there on the 4th, and am interested in any feedback people might have.

I drive through this area a few times each week:

chimney_rock_small.jpg

This is Chimney Rock in the Catoctin National Park just north of Frederick, MD. It is one of the greatest "creation museums" I have ever seen.

chimney_rock_small.jpg

This is Chimney Rock in the Catoctin National Park just north of Frederick, MD. It is one of the greatest "creation museums" I have ever seen.

Yeah, but no dinos or gift shops, man! :p

I'd still like to see the Creation Museum.

chimney_rock_small.jpg

Yeah, but no dinos or gift shops, man! :p

I'd still like to see the Creation Museum.

There is this place smack dab in the middle of the Catoctin range:

Camp David

Bill, I zoomed in really close and I think I saw an old Jimmy Carter softball bat!

Ivan! Now they have your digital fingerprint as having spied on Camp David! It was a pleasure knowing you. We'll pray for you and see if we can get on your visiting list.

Ivan! Now they have your digital fingerprint as having spied on Camp David! It was a pleasure knowing you. We'll pray for you and see if we can get on your visiting list.

Which prison do you think I'll be going to? Well, at least there will be a Gideon Bible there for me!

Yes, it is FANTASTIC!!!

My wife and I saw it with some of our kids and a couple of our grandsons last summer. We even made our vacation plans around visiting the Creation Museum. It was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen.

Here is one reviewer's opinion. I agree!

Many exhibits at “world-class” museums cost between 20 and 50 million dollars. But the entire Creation Museum right outside of Cincinnati, Ohio, cost just $27 million—and it is definitely world class. On the other hand, however, it’s not world class.

The Creation Museum goes far beyond mere science. It doesn’t elevate man’s intellect by using science to “prove” ScriptureIn comparison with the Creation Museum, “world-class” museums—even museums like the Roosevelt Museum of Natural History in New York City or the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C.—seem paltry and commonplace. Most impressive is the scope of the museum. The individual displays—mounted skeletons, animatronic dinosaurs that turn their bodies in realistic motion, and mounted placards which present science and Scripture—these are amazing, but the big picture is just that: big. Bigger than anyone would have expected.

The lobby itself rivals any full-size exhibit at a secular museum. A young child plays with a squirrel next to two small dinosaurs that watch the visitors walk under giant cypress trees. The walls, the floors, the rocks—everything is carefully handcrafted. The rock-lined waterfall and pool in the lobby is full of so-called “living fossils” like garfish as well as “modern” creatures like turtles and minnows.

I love Lucy. I don’t mean famous TV comedienne Lucille Ball; I mean Lucy—the nickname given to a fossil skeleton of Australopithecus afarensis. The museum’s replica of the Lucy skeleton is just one of the many similar displays that show very plainly how scientists’ presuppositions influence their conclusions. A scientist who believes the biblical account of creation would see nothing more than an “ape from southern Africa” (which is literally what its name means) in the assortment of bones now hanging in the display case. But a scientist who has been conditioned to see millions of years and evolution will probably find a missing link in those bones—despite the conspicuous lack of feet, hands, or even an intact hipbone.

The Creation Museum goes far beyond mere science. It doesn’t elevate man’s intellect by using science to “prove” Scripture. Instead, God’s Word is placed first and human reason is last.

Between these exhibits and the Creation Walk is a dark, graffiti-covered brick wall. It shows in stark detail the state of Western society. Abortion, gay marriage, school violence. The brick wall ends in a blatant expression of the prevailing social theory. No longer is absolute morality something that can be determined—even by humanity.

The Creation Museum shows that the problems in our culture aren’t the disease—they are merely symptoms of a much more serious cultural infection. Rejecting the biblical account of history led to the rejection of biblical authority in all other areas. By revisiting God’s Word in Genesis, we can realize the full breadth of Scripture and be ready to give an account for the hope we hold.

The Creation Walk opens into the Garden of Eden—the perfect world God created before sin. It shows the first man and woman living peacefully with the other creatures—including, of course, dinosaurs. But this paradise didn’t last. Mankind broke God’s law, cursing all of creation and staining the human race with sin forever. The museum shows the vast array of evil that has blossomed as a result of that single act of rebellion thousands of years ago.

The Creation Walk shifts focus to what is arguably the most spectacular event in the earth’s history after Creation and before Christ’s Resurrection: a Flood that covered the entire earth and destroyed every living creature on its surface.

In my opinion, the museum is worth visiting solely on the basis of the Ark and Flood exhibits. Visitors are shown the massive scale of the ark, potential details of its construction, and the population’s probable attitude that pervaded the pre-Flood world. They see animatronic workers discussing the folly of building a huge boat; after all, science has “proven” a worldwide flood is impossible. “Ever since our fathers died,” say the scowling models, “all things continue as they have since the beginning of creation” (2 Peter 3:3-7).

Computer animations show how tectonic activity on the ocean floor and huge tsunami-producing earthquakes could combine to cover the earth in water in just over a month. Alongside these displays are placards that answer common questions about the Flood. Secular scientists claim that the geological strata show less complex organisms at the bottom and more complex ones as you go up, attributing this to the evolutionary process over millions and millions of years. But if we consider the order of burial during the cataclysmic activity of the Flood, it makes perfect sense that sea creatures would be buried first, followed by invertebrates and finally by mammals and other vertebrates. The placard shown here gives an example of how the sequence could have worked during the first few hours of the Flood.

After finishing with the Flood and describing the events surrounding the Tower of Babel (see Genesis 11), the museum makes an important point. Contrary to most evolutionists, all humans are of one blood (Acts 17), descended from Noah. In the light of true biblical history, the museum tackles tough issues like racism, genocide, apartheid, and abortion—all problems that come from man’s rejection of God’s Word.

When the truths of Genesis are taken at face value, the redemptive acts in the play of human history—Christ and the Cross—fit together the way God intended them to. Sin, judgment, atonement, redemption, repentance, faith—all these doctrines are foundationally rooted in the first eleven chapters of Genesis. Instead of stopping with those first eleven chapters, however, the museum tour ends by simply presenting the gospel and leaving the rest between the visiting individual and the Lord of Creation.

Somewhat surprisingly, the museum does not devote inordinate amounts of space to “disproving” evolutionary ideas or “proving” creation. The displays are scientifically accurate and easy to understand, but this isn’t the focus. Instead, the museum demonstrates the difference between the evolutionary mindset and the mindset that Christians should have from Scripture. We have the same evidence, the same earth, the same universe, but it is our presuppositions that lead us to our conclusions. We know from Romans 1:20 that we can clearly see God’s hand in nature—the question is whether we have the courage to submit ourselves to Him. If we refuse, then we are “without excuse.”

Whatever you do, don't miss the Special Effects Theater Featuring Men in White (22 minutes). It is AMAZING all the way down to the sound effects, seismic movement to your seat, and water (yes, real water) spraying in your face when you are at "sea."

The Stargazer’s Planetarium requires an additional ticket, but it is worth it. Dr. Jason Lisle (a PhD astrophysicist from a secular university) put together an amazing display on what God has done in his creation.

If you have the time, plan on 4-6 hours (or more if you have it). There is soooooo MUCH to see.

And, for those of us on the PB, the apologetic orientation is decidedly presuppositionalist rather than evidentialist. In fact thanks to the fact that one of my daughters-in-law's cousin worked there, we got a behind the scenes tour as well. A PhD (from Ohio State) in microbiology on staff with AiG took quite a bit of time to dialog with us. She said that the entire upper management devours presuppositional apologetics, she had just finished a Bahnsen book and loved it (except for the theonomy :smug: ). They do not seek to "prove" evolution is wrong with evidence. Rather, they show how the Christian worldview of creationism best conforms to the facts of science we have.

Oh, one more thing (said the one who obviously loves food too much and is known for cheapness). Unlike most tourist dives, AiG was quite fair in their food venues. Their Noah’s Café features hot entrée, soups, sandwiches, and salads, all reasonably priced! Last year they had huge bread "bowls" full of soup for under $5!!!

2007 was their first year and we went during the summer, but it got quite crowded. They were running 4,000 people per day through the place. So, get there as early as you can.

Last edited:
Where is this place? I may be in the states later this year and if it's somewhere near where I'll travel anyway, it would be great to see.

It's near Cincinnati, Mary.

I was thinking about stopping by on my way up to my parents' house this Thanksgiving. Would it take four hours to see it if we have no kids to slow us down?

It's a shame they're open on Sunday. They are all about six-day creationism, but they miss the point.

They make few compromises, but this is one concession to American habits.

Without kids it could take longer -- if you read everything. But , yes, you could "see" it all in less time.

I was thinking about stopping by on my way up to my parents' house this Thanksgiving. Would it take four hours to see it if we have no kids to slow us down?

It's a shame they're open on Sunday. They are all about six-day creationism, but they miss the point.

So in a way they communicate to the world that they do not really believe what they promote. Bummer.

I too have been to the CM, but couldn't stay for an extended period as Dr. McFadden - I stopped on my way home one summer without the family to do a very brief preaching stint in Canada before I finished seminary. With this limited timeline, I skipped the theatre stuff in order to see all the exhibits (I spent about a 1/3rd of my time allotted waiting in line for a ticket on a weekday morning - albeit in the summer). It probably isn't as crowded now, but, at the time I heard that they had expected close to a million visitors in the first year and that within a few months they were well overtarget for that many visitors. I also lost an opportunity to meet Ken Ham who was there on the grounds (which they have also sought to develop and utilize as a living museum).

I was not disappointed with my visit - it was fairly well done, although I expected it to be bigger than it was. Nevertheless it was a good size and covered many basic issues. You could tell that AiG take apologetics for real when you are immediately confronted with the first display on finches (what inspired Darwin to write the Origin of Species). I appreciated the straightforward approach. One of the first exhibits is of a Christian archaelogist. A video introduction shows him working alongside a (presumably) non-Christian friend who is also an archaelogist and the point of the display is that the difference in their conclusions is based on the presuppositions they have (the Christian archaeologist believes the biblical account and argues for a young earth with Noahic flood etc. and the evolutionist sees the same evidence and draws a different conclusion). A very powerful lesson here.

The apologetic was generally presuppositional with fundamentalist tinges and there were several sections that confronted youth particularly. I think it is most certainly worth the visit and I am recommending that my church families go when they are able.

One nice thing is that you can buy the videos you see. I bought one for my wife (a closet geologist) on the relation of Mt. St. Helen's and the formation of Grand Canyon.

You can see a flickr stream of the exhibits here (presented by an atheist if I recall, ironically - read the comments on the stream) that covers most of the museum.

Last edited:
Chris,

Like most evangelicals, they probably are not even aware that there is an issue with Sunday. Given the conservative nature of Ken Ham, my guess is that he would rather not have had it open on Sunday but (in his mind) balanced that against the value of getting people who might be convinced in to see it.

in my opinion, it is a major mistake to skip the theaters (e.g., the special effects one and the planatarium). But, if time is an issue, you do what you've got to do.

So in a way they communicate to the world that they do not really believe what they promote. Bummer.

Hmmm, I would not have thought of it much different than having a Sunday School lesson on Apologetics.

CT

I'm betting you're a glass is half empty sort of guy aren't you. :p

Yeah but the Seventh Day Baptists, Adventist, World Wide Church of God and the Jews couldn't be happier.

The museum is closed on Saturdays? :scratch:

I seriously do not get this. I am not sure what optimism and pessimism have to do with anything even if it is meant as tongue-in-cheek. I think there is some sort of disconnect. I did not understand your first comment nor your response.

:)

Hmmm, I would not have thought of it much different than having a Sunday School lesson on Apologetics.

CT

Except no admission is charged to attend Sunday school.

I do not want to side track the thread. I am disappointed to hear that it is open on Sundays. To answer the OP, my family is eager to make the trip and see the museum. We will probably go multiple times especially for the sake of the younger kids who will not be old enough to remember if we go now.

Our family visited there about a month ago. Pretty good. The Ark rooms were my favorites.

For me, it was preaching to the choir, but I think children benefit the most. And it is a powerful witness to people hoping there is "sense" to the Christianity they are constantly being told is fairy tale. If you leave unconvinced, you weren't hoping for persuasion.

Bruce,

It would be preaching to the choir if the "choir" believed the Bible. However, with most evangelical schools openly touting progressive creationism (ala Hugh Ross) and a good number of Reformed people accepting the Framework Theory, I think that the choir probably needs the Creation Museum and the ministry of Answers in Genesis.

Frankly, during my undergraduate and graduate school education, I cannot remember a single person defending the traditional view or even allowing that they believed it! I can remember when David Hubbard was president of Fuller and made public statements on some governor's panel on education in CA attacking creationism and defending the hypothesis of billions of years. Discovering AiG was an ephiphany for me.

So, Jeanette and I contributed a little to the building of the Creation Museum, are strong supporters of it, and don't mind hearing good preaching more than once, even if it is "to the choir." ;)

CT

Except no admission is charged to attend Sunday school.

I do not want to side track the thread. I am disappointed to hear that it is open on Sundays. To answer the OP, my family is eager to make the trip and see the museum. We will probably go multiple times especially for the sake of the younger kids who will not be old enough to remember if we go now.

So if it was free on Sunday's then all would be well?

CT

another cool museum

:offtopic:I have not been to the creation museum. However, I did go to the Holy Land theme park in Orlando. There are no rides or anything. There were reinactments of scenes from the Bible. A story teller and the crucifiction were among the things we saw. Everyone is dressed in period clothing. The thing that impressed me the most was the Scriptorium they had. It contained Bibles that a collector had allowed them to have on loan. They had a Gutenburg Bible and other old significant copies. At the end, there was a section dedicated to John Bunyan. At the time we had just read Pilgrim's Progress, so this was of real interest to my family. Also, at the time, they allowed you to use a church bulletin as a coupon. Even on vacation, I had several in my purse.:lol:

I did go to the Holy Land theme park in Orlando

I took it in last year while at a conference on Aging Services in Orlando. Other than the second commandment violation in the tableaux (which I skipped), the Bible translation exhibit is one of the most interesting hours I have ever spent. The audio animatronic Tyndale was very good. Unfortunately, the park had just come under the ownership of Benny Hinn a few months prior to my visit. He has already put his own "books" next to those by Bunyan, Sproul, and Piper in the gift shop. Next step to eliminate all of the orthodox ones???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back