Creationism and Traducianism: Theologians Who Held to Each?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Does anyone here have a list of major Reformed/Calvinist theologians, old or modern, organized according to where they stood on the creationism/traducianism debate? I am preparing a Sunday School class on WCF 6 and would like to have this available as an illustration. I know, for example, that W. G. T. Shedd held to traducianism, and so did Robert Duncan Culver. Any help is appreciated.

Were any traducian before the 18th century?
Frankly, I don't know. Wasn't it a common view in the early church? Didn't Augustine hold to something like it (totally reaching back in my faint memories of church history classes here, honestly)?

Frankly, I don't know. Wasn't it a common view in the early church? Didn't Augustine hold to something like it (totally reaching back in my faint memories of church history classes here, honestly)?
You might find Bavinck's RD 2:580ff helpful

Robert Letham holds to traducianism, and has some weighty considerations for the position in his ST. He is probably its most eloquent defender. Shedd sets traducianism over against the representative position of Hodge, and I don't think that is cogent. Letham doesn't do that, If I recall correctly.

Gordon H. Clark does. Here's his article on the topic: https://www.trinityfoundation.org/journal.php?id=56

I think the Westminster Standards logically imply it:

WCF 6:3: They being the root of all mankind, the guilt of this sin was imputed, and the same death in sin and corrupted nature conveyed, to all their posterity descending from them by ordinary generation.

WLC 26: How is original sin conveyed from our first parents unto their posterity? Original sin is conveyed from our first parents unto their posterity by natural generation, so as all that proceed from them in that way are conceived and born in sin.

WSC 16: Did all mankind fall in Adam’s first transgression?
The covenant being made with Adam, not only for himself, but for his posterity; all mankind, descending from him by ordinary generation, sinned in him, and fell with him, in his first transgression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back