Critique this gospel tract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi James,

What a wonderful thing to do - write a tract to help evangelize. I might just ask to borrow it and use it myself when you're done! :D

I wanted to give some helpful specific advice:

Q. What is the most terrifying truth of all? A. "The reason I believe this to be terrifying is because we are not perfectly good."
Although it might come across as warm or loving to some, per Reformed theology the phrase "not perfect good" felt so Arminian and inaccurate. If we were Arminian, we would love this phrase, but as a Calvinist, my first thought was "we aren't even partly good! We are horrible! Totally depraved! Deserving hell for eternity."

I also think this question might fit better if it were moved to a place after the individual already realizes God is 100% perfect and we are totally depraved. This would fit perfectly there, where we ask: So what can be done about it? Or as you put it: "The question must then be: what is a good God to do with people who are not perfectly good?" But with "What would a 100% perfect infinitely holy God do with a wicked selfish rebellious people?"

I would also suggest making changes that establish God's qualities/attributes like this:
Q. Who is God? A. God is one spirit being with no beginning or end that exists in the form of the a trinity. (Trinity is essential to Christianity. Expand.) The Trinitarian Godhead (All 3 created, not just God the father) is the grand Creator of everything that exists: the infinite universe with its uncountable stars and galaxies, the world and all its millions of life forms from the giant dinosaurs down to the very smallest creatures that are too small for the human eye to see. God is the only thing that is everlasting: he is smart (all-knowing), strong (all-powerful), and entirely self-sufficient (list out maybe 10 attributes of God). He has not only determined the times and places for each human life from conception to death but also the lives of every single one of the 1.25 million animals species created. (Expand on the sovereignty of God here if room).

Q. Why did God create us? A. God created us (who is us? Elect or all humans?) for His glory: some to everlasting glory in heaven as sons and daughters of God but others to everlasting damnation because of their rejection and hatred of God. Christian believers are created to glorify God and reflect His greatness the way the moon reflects the sun. He created us to enjoy Him forever and out of thankfulness and gratitude to live our lives mirroring the beautiful attributes of our Heavenly Father.

Q. What is the most terrifying truth of all? A. "The reason I believe this to be terrifying is because we are not perfectly good."
Although it might come across as warm or loving to some, per Reformed theology the phrase "not perfect good" felt so Arminian and inaccurate. If we were Arminian, we would love this phrase, but as a Calvinist, my first thought was "we aren't even partly good! We are horrible! Totally depraved! Deserving hell for eternity."

I actually really liked that. It stops a person who thinks they are "good enough" right in their tracks. Instead of rebutting with, "I am good!" they would have to say, "I am perfectly good!" in order to contradict the statement.

Q. I have repented and believed. Now what? A. True “repentance” will also bring a natural desire to obey Christ’s teachings and a remorse for remaining sin. If this is truly the case, you have been “born again” or literally “born from above” in the original language of the Bible. Glory to God, alone! Now, just as a newborn needs to grow and be nourished, those who are “born again” need to grow and be nourished in their relationship with God. We grow in love, joy, and knowledge of Him through prayer and the study of His word, as well as fellowship and discipleship with others who cherish Him above all things.

I'm sorry but the doctrine of repentence and believing is not "I have . . . now what?" and really I don't think we should ever try to convince someone that they are saved.
There are fruit that may indicate that someone is but to assure someone now your saved is hidden from mans side. Only trying to help.

Last edited:
Q. I have repented and believed. Now what? A. True “repentance” will also bring a natural desire to obey Christ’s teachings and a remorse for remaining sin. If this is truly the case, you have been “born again” or literally “born from above” in the original language of the Bible. Glory to God, alone! Now, just as a newborn needs to grow and be nourished, those who are “born again” need to grow and be nourished in their relationship with God. We grow in love, joy, and knowledge of Him through prayer and the study of His word, as well as fellowship and discipleship with others who cherish Him above all things.

I'm sorry but the doctrine of repentence and believing is not "I have . . . now what?" and really I don't think we should ever try to convince someone that they are saved.
There are fruit that may indicate that someone is but to assure someone now your saved is hidden from mans side. Only trying to help.

That's what the question following it is for, about assurance. It is up to them to see if they fit the biblical criteria of repentance which I lay out on the tract. I am not pronouncing anyone to be saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back